The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long has Biergarten been there? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3034811)

JennaDeeDooDah 12-19-2012 07:35 PM

How long has Biergarten been there?
 
I ate at Biergarten last week and absolutely loved it (hint to those who love Le Cellier's Cheddar Cheese Soup: Biergarten has an amazing one you should check out, as well). I was telling a friend about it and how he would enjoy it. He told me that he had dined in Germany in the past, but it wasn't a buffet. Also, he remembered eating osso bucco and loving it at this same restaurant. Now, I'm thinking that osso bucco is Italian, so maybe he was remembering a different restaurant. However, he was certain that it was Biergarten and that they have just changed the restaurant style and menu.


Can anyone confirm that he is correct or incorrect?

mousermerf 12-19-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah (Post 46959355)
I ate at Biergarten last week and absolutely loved it (hint to those who love Le Cellier's Cheddar Cheese Soup: Biergarten has an amazing one you should check out, as well). I was telling a friend about it and how he would enjoy it. He told me that he had dined in Germany in the past, but it wasn't a buffet. Also, he remembered eating osso bucco and loving it at this same restaurant. Now, I'm thinking that osso bucco is Italian, so maybe he was remembering a different restaurant. However, he was certain that it was Biergarten and that they have just changed the restaurant style and menu.


Can anyone confirm that he is correct or incorrect?

Sometimes being the author of The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia comes in handy ;)

Biergarten has existed since Epcot opened - however it wasn't always the buffet.

The conversion happened in 1996 - taking over the intended exit corridor space for the abandoned Rhine Rive Cruise boat ride for the buffet itself. That's why it's up some stairs - the previous design would have had unloading boat ride guests "view" the restaurant and entertainment from an area where they could stop and watch at the rear. The ride was never built and Biergarten took over part of the space as it changed menus.

Notably, after Biergarten was made a buffet, Le Cellier was transformed into a regular sit down restaurant from it's initial design as a Buffeteria.

mousermerf 12-19-2012 07:49 PM

Also, references to the early Biergarten menu frequently mention various veal items - osso bucco is veal, so it's likely he's not wrong depending on the year.

JennaDeeDooDah 12-19-2012 08:26 PM

He went for the food and wine festival and was of legal age to drink. He turned 21 in October of 2004, so I'm thinking he's remembering a different restaurant, or is not remembering correctly that it was a buffet.

JennaDeeDooDah 12-19-2012 08:27 PM

Oh, and thanks for mentioning The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia. Just in case I didn't have enough Disney cites to waste time on, I can now add this one:thumbsup2

mousermerf 12-19-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah (Post 46959638)
He went for the food and wine festival and was of legal age to drink. He turned 21 in October of 2004, so I'm thinking he's remembering a different restaurant, or is not remembering correctly that it was a buffet.

Probably Italy's old Alfredo's then - none of the other locations are likely to serve it. If it was recent it's now Tutto Italia and it's on the menu.

Hootch 12-20-2012 08:32 AM

I was stationed
 
in Orlando for school when Epcot opened. A friend from high school was visiting Epcot and I joined in. We could not get in but they sounded like they were having a great time. I try to go as often as possible now.

(I remember Epcot had video stations then where you could ask CMs various questions. I wonder when those were removed.)

Tinkerboy00 12-20-2012 09:44 AM

I vaguely remember being able to order separate food from the buffet. We love Biergarten and I hope they never change it.

JennaDeeDooDah 12-20-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerboy00 (Post 46962225)
I vaguely remember being able to order separate food from the buffet. We love Biergarten and I hope they never change it.

Right there with you. I can't believe it has taken me this long to eat there! It and Akershus became must-dos for my husband and me this past trip. Love their soup. For me, it is just as good as Le Cellier's, but it is all you can eat and won't cost two dining credits.:thumbsup2

CanadianGuy 12-20-2012 01:56 PM

RE: Video Phone Guest Services thingys

As recently as 2010 those were still there.. boarded up behind and to the side of the two gift shops on either side of the base of Spaceship Earth. The AT&T sponsored "video phones" allowed you to make dining reservations and basic guest services inquiries I recall correctly.

But they were still there recently ..

princesspiglet 12-20-2012 03:24 PM

Love, love, love Biergarten! It's our family's favorite. Been eating there for about 11 years now and we have only ever known it with the buffet.

Robbi 12-20-2012 03:35 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, OP. In all the years and 40+ trips, we have never tried Biergarten. We'll be sure to give it a try next time.

JennaDeeDooDah 12-20-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbi (Post 46964565)
Thanks for posting this thread, OP. In all the years and 40+ trips, we have never tried Biergarten. We'll be sure to give it a try next time.

:thumbsup2 Definitely give it a try. My dad ordered a beer while there and the waiter asked him what size. Turns out, you can actually order a whole liter of beer in one glass. Of course, if beer isn't your thing, the food is equally good. Again, I'm sorry it took me so long to discover this gem.

RMulieri 12-20-2012 05:14 PM

It is one of our favorites in Epcot..I do think the communal seating is off putting to some people though( not us..We love to socialize)

Luvchefmic 12-20-2012 05:43 PM

glad about this thread too
 
I callef the dining line just this morning determined to book CP pkg
for lunch Sat so I could see Trace Adkins at this late date I wad shocked there was anything open...there were only 2 choices my decision was between Biergarten and Msrakesh in Morocco 30 years and 100 s of trips & I never ate at either !

I chose Biergarten based solely on recalling my Dad raving about how when he was

stationed in Germany he would tour the countryside take in the culture
and loved the food

Glad to read.good things about it


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.