The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   January 1-5, getting nervous! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3034676)

rcraw45425 12-19-2012 11:26 AM

January 1-5, getting nervous!

We arrive at the Dolphin on Jan 1 for one night, then move to AKL for three with the room only discount. Just checked to see about upgrading from pool view to savannah (two rooms booked, the reason I didn't book initially). All deluxe resorts are booked solid, both with discount and rack rate! Only availability any where was CBR and POR! Oh my gosh, can't imagine that many people onsite!!

AJKMOM 12-19-2012 12:29 PM

With the way the holidays fall this year, I would suspect the big "rush" would go on until sunday, Jan. 6.

BanditsMommy 12-19-2012 02:15 PM

I'm going to be at AKL from Jan 2 to the 8th, and that was worrying me too, but when I tried to put in for dates from the 3 or 4th on at AKL and other hotels there were a TON of openings still. I think it's just full up for the 2nd and 3rd because people are staying a day or two after the holiday, but not too far after.

Sweettears 12-19-2012 02:18 PM

I've been there right after New Years. Appears to be a very busy time. However, with good planning and getting to the parks at rope drop you should be able to enjoy yourselves.

CanadianGuy 12-19-2012 02:39 PM

Disney just extended the hours in January slightly ... and many of the dates with added park time were in that week. THat's an indicator they expect to be somewhat busy thru the 6th.

The following week, from the 7th on.. they still expanded park hours.. but not nearly as much and you can see a dramatic 'downsizing' in the park hours that week which is a strong indicator of crowd expectations.

Knox

drusba 12-19-2012 02:41 PM

Prepare yourself for huge crowds. It is one of the misconceptions of many that somehow crowds disappear Jan 1. They won't start to go down until Jan 4 when Jan 1 is a Tuesday and it will still be crowded when you leave (we know we have done the first week of Jan a dozen times). Confirmation of that expectation is provided by park hours. Disney has MK going to 1 a.m. through Jan 5. Hours that late indicate that Disney expects record crowds for those first several days of Jan and it bases its hours decisions not just on WDW bookings but on a survey of what other hotels in the area expect for the time period.

rcraw45425 12-19-2012 02:59 PM

There's never a slow time now. We checked in Jan 1 years back at sports then moved to YC the next morning and our room was ready at 8am. Hubby and I were just there in October and even that was busy and a lot hotter than I ever remember. Actually had heat indexes over 100 degrees. I'm thinking seriously about cancelling.

anniemck 12-19-2012 03:00 PM

Most schools will not start back until the 7th, so this would be a reason for people to be there longer.

rcraw45425 12-19-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniemck
Most schools will not start back until the 7th, so this would be a reason for people to be there longer.

Actually out until the 10th here. We picked our dates because younger daughter is marching in the Outback Bowl on 1/1 in Tampa.