The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby at Disney World (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032973)

MegRaeWhay 12-14-2012 07:51 AM

Baby at Disney World
 
Hi All!!

My husband and I have a trip booked for 10/26/13 at the WL for 6 nights. We are expecting our first baby any day now and we were considering leaving him at home for this trip. I just realized last night that we will be there during our babies first Halloween and I can't miss that. He will be about 10 months old when we go. Is that too young to bring him to DW? We aren't ever out really late. What are your thoughts?

davedmaine 12-14-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegRaeWhay (Post 46922536)
Hi All!!

My husband and I have a trip booked for 10/26/13 at the WL for 6 nights. We are expecting our first baby any day now and we were considering leaving him at home for this trip. I just realized last night that we will be there during our babies first Halloween and I can't miss that. He will be about 10 months old when we go. Is that too young to bring him to DW? We aren't ever out really late. What are your thoughts?

Sounds like you're more worried about the baby inconveniencing you, so that's pretty much your call whether to bring him or not. If you're really asking about the baby -- it's Disney World -- bring him.

mickeynut1 12-14-2012 08:42 AM

Our first Disney trip was when our DSs were 6 & 8 so I don't have experience with taking a baby, but we have never taken any kind of trip without our kids (and they are now 19 & 17). I wouldn't enjoy myself knowing he/she was at home, especially if I was missing out on my baby's first Halloween. But with that said, everyone is different and you're the only one who can decide what's best for you. Good luck.

calngavinsmom 12-14-2012 08:59 AM

Bring him! Babies are very portable at that age and tonnes of fun :cool1: My youngest was 8 months on his first trip (actually he was three months gestation on his very first trip but he couldn't see very well in there :rotfl:) and it was so much fun. He loved going on the rides like IASW, Pooh, Snow White, Jungle cruise ect.

I breastfed him too, so that made things super easy. Just park yourself on a bench or even in a show for 10-15 minutes and baby is fed and you didn't miss any fun. If you are formula feeding, there are lots of babycare centers to use as well.

True the memories will be yours and not your babies' but I cherish each and every moment....They are not babies for long

Have fun:goodvibes

MariDisney 12-14-2012 09:02 AM

Personally, I would bring the baby. If Halloween is a priority to you I would think you could always have him in his costume and take come great pictures before you leave or after you come back. I'm guessing with an infant you wouldn't be doing any actual trick or treating. So, maybe that would be an option if you did want to have a trip without him.

moepanz 12-14-2012 09:06 AM

Once you have the baby, you will laugh at the thought of even considering leaving the baby home. You will see if you feel the baby will be able to make the trip or not when the time comes, and I'm pretty sure if the baby can't you will be OK with not going. You are in for big changes :) Good Luck and congrats on the new baby!!

SusieBea 12-14-2012 09:41 AM

We took our two girls for their first trips at 9mos. and 2mos. respectively. With the second one, we were staying in a regular hotel room and I had the sterilizer with me!! But I'd do it again. 10 mos will be a great age. He'll enjoy all the lights and movement, and you'll have wonderful memories and pictures. Oh, and he's FREE! ;) And congratulations!

Ivonne 12-14-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieBea
We took our two girls for their first trips at 9mos. and 2mos. respectively. With the second one, we were staying in a regular hotel room and I had the sterilizer with me!! But I'd do it again. 10 mos will be a great age. He'll enjoy all the lights and movement, and you'll have wonderful memories and pictures. Oh, and he's FREE! ;) And congratulations!

We are going August 13-24, 2013, with our son who will be 16 months. My concern is that restuarants will not have high chairs. Was that a problem??

SusieBea 12-14-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivonne (Post 46923338)
We are going August 13-24, 2013, with our son who will be 16 months. My concern is that restuarants will not have high chairs. Was that a problem??

It's Disney - they want you and your children in their restaurants. Every restaurant (except Victoria and Albert's) is extremely child friendly and has high chairs - plenty of them. Hope you have a great trip!

tiffjoy 12-14-2012 10:23 AM

We took a trip to DLR with DD3 for her first birthday. While my DH was hesitant, we had the best time we have ever had. I have the most amazing memories!!!

We went to WDW when she was 14 months. Then again to DLR just after she turned 2 and we did the Halloween party. Then, we just went to DLR this past September just after she turned 3. This was little sister's first trip, and she was just shy of 9 months. Again, we have the best memories! DD3 remembers the trips now, too, but even before she did it was amazing.

We are headed to WDW in January for youngest DD's first birthday. Honestly, I find taking young ones to Disney to be easier than any other vacation we do. It's really a place geared towards children of all ages.

I am also one who can't be away from my babies when they are young, so that's probably part if why we bring them, too. My DD3 is just now at an age where I'm ok with her going on a sleepover with her Nana. But when they are itty bitties, they need me and I need them. :) (Especially for nursing with my oldest, but I can't nurse my youngest and I still feel the same.) It's just how I personally feel. Feeling different is perfectly ok, but I'd wait until you have the baby to decide how you are going to feel.

Sue M 12-14-2012 10:29 AM

This is just me, but I would consider postponing your trip until baby is a bit older and can enjoy the attractions. And baby may be shy about strangers (characters). I know when my youngest was a baby she wouldn't get near anyone, couldn't even get Santa pic!
And you would have to ride any attractions alone using child swap. It's an expensive vacay at wdw to be very limited on what you can do.
Another alternative is to bring the grandparents along so maybe they can share in the childcare, allowing you to nip on space Mtn etc.

Spunky946 12-14-2012 10:51 AM

The first time we went ds was 4.5 and dd was 8.5 months and she was easier then he was. She was not crawling yet, and she was just happy looking around in the stroller. I"m sure you will have a great time.

wiigirl 12-14-2012 11:08 AM

I wouldn't worry, you will have a great time! :goodvibes

tinkermommyof3 12-14-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegRaeWhay (Post 46922536)
Hi All!!

My husband and I have a trip booked for 10/26/13 at the WL for 6 nights. We are expecting our first baby any day now and we were considering leaving him at home for this trip. I just realized last night that we will be there during our babies first Halloween and I can't miss that. He will be about 10 months old when we go. Is that too young to bring him to DW? We aren't ever out really late. What are your thoughts?

I have seen babies younger than 10 months at WDW many times. It is totally up to you. WL is very close to MK. It would be so cute to dress up baby for 1st Halloween and spend in MK. We were there for 2012 MNSSHP. The decorations are awesome. It is a great time for ALL ages.

bgirl29 12-14-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue M (Post 46923572)
This is just me, but I would consider postponing your trip until baby is a bit older and can enjoy the attractions. And baby may be shy about strangers (characters). I know when my youngest was a baby she wouldn't get near anyone, couldn't even get Santa pic!
And you would have to ride any attractions alone using child swap. It's an expensive vacay at wdw to be very limited on what you can do.
Another alternative is to bring the grandparents along so maybe they can share in the childcare, allowing you to nip on space Mtn etc.

I just wanted to point out that babies can ride the majority of the rides at Disney. The only ones they are not allowed on are any with height restrictions. So really you would only have to child swap for a few rides.

We left our second child home at 6 months and decided not to do that again, the third child's first trip was at 3 months. I thought she was super easy to take along. So OP really it is up to you and what you want out of your vacation.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.