The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What? 'Storage Wars" is Faked?? Say it isn't so (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032579)

TXinmyheart 12-12-2012 10:01 PM

What? 'Storage Wars" is Faked?? Say it isn't so

Well Dave Hester says it is and has filed suit!

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk...-Complaint.pdf

That show is about as real as Brandi's breasts. :rotfl2:

The Mystery Machine 12-13-2012 05:39 AM

Well that was an interesting read.

Here is a tip..... all reality shows are scripted and fake.;)

I can't wait to pass this on to my sis, thanks.

Geoff_M 12-13-2012 06:17 AM

I think this is becoming the norm for most, but not all, "reality" programming. Life is just too unpredictable to provide, in most cases, a steady diet of entertaining material to fill show after show. If you look, there are often quick notices flashed at the end of many of the shows that indicate that parts of the show were "re-inactments". Pretty much all of the shows involving employee stakeouts or other examples of showing people doing bad thing are 100% so-called "re-inactments of actual events". Otherwise, you'd have to believe that the employee stealing money out of the till actually consented to allowing that security camera footage to be used.

ZuZugal 12-13-2012 06:18 AM

This is exactly why the only reality series I have EVER watched is Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet.

I am certain the producers did not pay Flower a cool million to get bitten by a puff adder and then die! It REALLY happened.

mhsjax 12-13-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuZugal (Post 46915377)
This is exactly why the only reality series I have EVER watched is Meercat Manor on Animal Planet.

I am certain the producers did not pay Flower a cool million to get bitten by a puff adder and then die! It REALLY happened.

Everyone has a price. :rotfl2:

FlightlessDuck 12-13-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuZugal (Post 46915377)
This is exactly why the only reality series I have EVER watched is Meercat Manor on Animal Planet.

I wouldn't put it past them to put a meercat and the puff adder in the vicinity of each other to increase drama.

tvguy 12-13-2012 06:58 AM

I think they would prefer to say their shows feature "reactments".

Operation Repo makes it clear in their opening about that.

And if pause your DVR at the end of the any of the Judge shows, they make it clear that they apply "general law".

I watched a Judge Joe Brown where old Joe blew it. California case, used car that would not pass smog. His ruling, used car sales are all "as-is". Well, in California, this is one exception to as is sales.

"When you sell a vehicle in California, the seller is responsible for getting a smog certificate prior to completing the sale."

HM 12-13-2012 07:04 AM

The thing that bothers me about storage wars is when they get into their units and start "counting up" how much they can make from the stuff. We can't believe that they will end up getting anywhere near what they say things are worth. We always say that we'd love to see what they actually sold their merchandise for.

tvguy 12-13-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM (Post 46915533)
The thing that bothers me about storage wars is when they get into their units and start "counting up" how much they can make from the stuff. We can't believe that they will end up getting anywhere near what they say things are worth. We always say that we'd love to see what they actually sold their merchandise for.

Same with American Pickers. They spent a week on the road, buy $2,000 worth of stuff that they are going to make $2,000 on. Hotel for 5 nights, meals, fuel for that van, salaries for the 2 guys.......the math just doesn't work to me.

Pawn Stars made more sense after reading Rick Harrison's book. 99% of the stuff you see is them buying stuff. In reality, 80% (according to his book) of their business is taking items in pawn, and lending money at an interest rate of about 23% per month. THAT, is where they make their money.

RitaE 12-13-2012 07:30 AM

I'm convinced Love It or List It is scripted. It is the ONLY explanation for some of those decisions. :laughing:

punkin 12-13-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

I notice that Dave Hester, in particular, is guilty of this. Some of the prices he puts are completely out of left field.

I loveStitchnippyjon 12-13-2012 08:30 AM

Well, it would be a pretty boring (and unsuccessful) show if they only found old junk and dirty undies! Of course these shows are scripted!
Dave is just trying to get more publicity. He seems like a mean-spirited, small person. I hope he actually WAS fired!

wiigirl 12-13-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXinmyheart (Post 46914303)
That show is about as real as Brandi's breasts. :rotfl2:

LMAO! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Arielle22 12-13-2012 08:46 AM

DH watches that show and I pointed the article out to him. I can't believe Dave Hester thinks this surprises anyone.

I told DH if Dave was not on the show it would be much more watchable. Every time he calls out yup ( or whatever word he uses) I cringe and leave the room.

kwelch10377 12-13-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

I would love to see what some of the stuff actually sold for too.

I am glad they fired Dave, I loath him. If the show if fake then why is he just now coming out and saying it after 4 seasons and why would he do the show in the first place. I think he is just doing this because he needs the cash. From what I have read he had to close his thrift store because of money issues and based on the reviews from his auction business that won't be around much longer.