The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Tips that will speed your holiday visit to post office..&..lower my blood pressure (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032512)

tvguy 12-12-2012 07:14 PM

Tips that will speed your holiday visit to post office..&..lower my blood pressure

Yes, a vent, after today's visit.

1) Have your packages wrapped BEFORE you get in line, not at the service window. They have a nice little counter with tape and sissors for that.

2) Have an idea how you want to send it, don't make the poor postal worker check the price for all 15 ways you could send it.

3) Decide if you want insurance before you get to the service window, and know for how much. Don't spent a full minute debating with yourself at the service window if you want $100, or $75, or $125, or $78.50 coverage.

4) Have your method of payment readily available. Don't spend a minute looking for that debit card/cash/coin purse in your 30 gallon purse.

And for the Post office. While your website says the cheapest method of delivery....Ground.....takes 2 to 9 business days....your workers say 14 to 21 is the norm........how is that possible?

sissy_ib 12-12-2012 07:24 PM

This is why I almost always use the self service machine at our post office.

lynxstch 12-12-2012 07:43 PM

and thats why I use a Postal Substation at a local pharmacy..never any wait, people willing to help you, and faster service!

usnuzuloose 12-12-2012 07:54 PM

I go into Belair or Raleys. I only go to the PO when I need to mail International.

StephMK 12-12-2012 08:04 PM

Those reasons and the price of shipping are why I only use Amazon or another store where I can just ship gifts directly to my brother's family.

ChristmasElf 12-12-2012 10:20 PM

Or just use FED EX

Cindy B 12-12-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissy_ib (Post 46912879)
This is why I almost always use the self service machine at our post office.

YES! I cant tell you the last time I waited in line!

tvguy 12-12-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usnuzuloose (Post 46913060)
I go into Belair or Raleys. I only go to the PO when I need to mail International.

There were only 3 customers including me in the whole post office (the one next to Country Club Lanes). My Bel Air always has a line this time of year.

sms 12-12-2012 11:58 PM

http://stamps.com :thumbsup2

usnuzuloose 12-13-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvguy (Post 46914057)
There were only 3 customers including me in the whole post office (the one next to Country Club Lanes). My Bel Air always has a line this time of year.

Only 3? Wow, that was a short line..

I usually go to the stores when the customer service opens, no waiting.

afnaechiquita 12-13-2012 01:46 AM

I feel like every post office I go to DOESN'T have tape on the counter :( I always have to ask to have it taped up when I get to the register.

OT but related, does anyone know if you can get a refund on postage paid online? Long story short, DBF ended up purchasing his shipping twice due to operator error (his!) on the online forms. If it was $10-20 it'd be no big deal, but it's $70some, and worth trying to get back. edit n/m n/m, answered my own question! :)

Fire14 12-13-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afnaechiquita (Post 46914941)
I feel like every post office I go to DOESN'T have tape on the counter :( I always have to ask to have it taped up when I get to the register.

OT but related, does anyone know if you can get a refund on postage paid online? Long story short, DBF ended up purchasing his shipping twice due to operator error (his!) on the online forms. If it was $10-20 it'd be no big deal, but it's $70some, and worth trying to get back. edit n/m n/m, answered my own question! :)

My post offices don't have tape or sissors on counter ( i wish they did), 98% of time they don't have boxes either. The self service post machine seems to weigh heavier than actual post persons scale, had it happen multiple times and at 2 diff post offices. yes they can get refund on postage online there is a thing to click to cancel that postage i believe.

Coonhound 12-13-2012 01:48 PM

Everyone at our post office is so rude. It's like the BMV in there. It makes me wonder how they keep their jobs.
A smile doesn't cost anything.

Janepod 12-13-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvguy (Post 46912823)
Yes, a vent, after today's visit.

1) Have your packages wrapped BEFORE you get in line, not at the service window. They have a nice little counter with tape and sissors for that.

Do you mean GIFT wrapped? Don't do that! Our post office, at least, won't accept anything that's wrapped up like a present. Has to be in a box or an envelope.

CaliBear 12-13-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coonhound (Post 46917672)
Everyone at our post office is so rude. It's like the BMV in there. It makes me wonder how they keep their jobs.
A smile doesn't cost anything.

Yesterday I was in line at the post office and I could hear one worker in the back, screaming about rude customers and mimicking a customer interrupting her. I'm sure it's tough, but she couldn't she do that in private? When she came back out to help the next customer, everyone was just staring at her in disbelief.