The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Deluxe Dining Plan (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032415)

constancefamily 12-12-2012 02:39 PM

Deluxe Dining Plan

If money was no issue, would you do the deluxe dining plan? Why or why not? How would you use your credits?

Missyrose 12-12-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by constancefamily (Post 46910901)
If money was no issue, would you do the deluxe dining plan? Why or why not? How would you use your credits?

We did the DxDP last year and enjoyed it. We tend to like TS rather than QS and we like appetizers more than desserts, so both lent themselves to the DxDP.

That being said, it's a lot of food (be prepared to feel wasteful at some point when you can't finish everything). And you spend a lot of time in restaurants.

We mainly did breakfasts and signature dinners, and never did three TS meals in one day.

We enjoyed the plan, but we now use the Tables in Wonderland card because it's a little more flexible and it covers alcohol too.

MHSweb79 12-12-2012 03:05 PM

We find the regular DP too much food, so I can't imagine doing the DxDP unless we did signature meals every day, like the PP suggests.

Also, TS meals can eat up 60-90 minutes each and we don't want to spend upwards of 3-4 hours A DAY inside restaurants. None of Disney's food is that good!

And finally, when the weather is hot and our appetites are dulled, we often share a CS meal on days when we are going to eat a buffet dinner. This would mean wasted credits on those days, which my frugal side just could not tolerate.

meredith1 12-12-2012 03:16 PM

We do the deluxe dining plan every visit. We have young children that love the character meals and my H and I like TS for dinner.

We typically to an early morning pre park opening breakfast (characters) for the kids, use snack credits for midday and a nice TS for dinner. So we are eating a good breakfast at 7:30/8:00 and then, eating another good meal around 6:30/7:00 in the evening. It's perfect for us!

We always end up with lots of snack credits in the end. We just use those on snacks we can bring back home with us...they always get eaten.

minnie mum 12-12-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by constancefamily (Post 46910901)

If money was no issue, then why would you bother with any dining plan? Why wouldn't you just charge all of your meals to your KTTW card and eat and drink whatever you wanted?

TheRustyScupper 12-12-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnie mum (Post 46911233)
If money was no issue, then why would you bother with any dining plan? Why wouldn't you just charge all of your meals to your KTTW card and eat and drink whatever you wanted?

:worship:

ErinsMommy 12-12-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

I totally agree with this. :)

JZCubed 12-12-2012 05:27 PM

You have to eat a good amount of food to 'break-even' with Dining Plans.

For the Deluxe Dining, you have to eat a good amount of food to 'break-even' and probably have at least 2 reservations per day as Table Service places to have ordered enough food.

Assuming everybody in your party wants to sit down twice each day with the ability to overeat, and assuming that nobody in your party misses a meal, or skips an appetizer and/or dessert, and has zero [0] snacks remaining in their account - you get an OK discount (10%'ish). You can maximize your return beyond 10% with Dining Plan if you are diligent about re-filling your mugs.

But the question - if money were no object....I would be comfortable prepaying and not having to worry about reconciling any bills at the end of my stay. Regardless, for the way my family dines, we shouldn't feel compelled to order too much food or outside our comfort zone to simply 'break-even'.

If you're enamored by Signature Restaurants and/or Character Meals, and if you plan to spend more than $500 (the break-even from $100 fee) at Table Service restaurants - Tables in Wonderland Card (TiW) may be able to offer a better dining discount. TiW 20% discount seemingly works best, relative to Dining Plan, if your meals include some alcohol.

JimmyV 12-12-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

You took the words right out of my keyboard. If money was no object, I would eat wherever I wanted, which would include the Swan and Dolphin restaurants as well as V&A, and never look back. If I were on the DxDP, I would be skipping these places.

Peter Fan 12-12-2012 06:05 PM

There is no way we would get the deluxe. We always get the regular and are always full. I know we would enjoy the restaurants more if we were actually hungry!

North of Mouse 12-12-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

:thumbsup2 This! I have read way too many trip reports of people on the DxDP that told of being sick of food, just barely tasting some meals, and a bite out of desserts just to taste it, etc. I can't stand waste to this extent. We don't do any DP's and we eat what we want for far less than the cost of the plan.

chocovrdmicears 12-12-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

LIKE :surfweb:

Cinderella1122 12-12-2012 07:12 PM

I have done DXDP several times. We purchased it again for next week. We are all adults with no children and prefer signiture dining. We have an early lunch and a late dinner booked for every day of our stay. It is a lot of food. We often get an app to split, our entree, and dessert. We find that we still save money even though all of us aren't getting an app.

BearcatsFan 12-12-2012 07:32 PM

No way. It's too much food, too many reservations to keep track of, too much time spent inside of restaurants.

As PPs have said, if money were no object, I'd eat exactly as I wanted and not even bother with the dining plan. In fact, I'm considering not bothering with the dining plan on our next trip. Then I won't have to worry about maxing out every single meal, getting desserts I couldn't eat or didn't want, and wasting a ton of food.

Pakey 12-12-2012 08:06 PM

When Disney's signatures reach the same quality as the Swan/Dolphin restaurants, I might consider it. No, not even then. Too rigid for my style.