The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Easiest transport, monorail resort vs bus resorts (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030930)

Happyjen27 12-08-2012 06:56 PM

Easiest transport, monorail resort vs bus resorts

I've just returned from the World, my first trip.

Stayed at Poly because of it's convenience as a monorail resort and proximity to TTC.

The monorail was great when it was working, but 3 of the 8 days it was delayed, not working at all, or not working to EPCOT.

My BIL/SIL said when they stayed at the CBR 10 years ago, they had a great experience with transportation.

So, Disney Veterans:

Is it better to stay at a resort that relies 100% on busses because they will always be running and are reliable?
Is it better to stay at a monorail resort, because for the 65% of the time they are working, they are super convenient?

I did plan way ahead both days, started at 7 for my BBB at 8 in the MK. Still didn't make MK until 8:45AM, luckily they took us anyway (we couldn't even take the boat at 7 because it was 2 hours before park opening). The third day it didn't matter, because we were meandering to EP, but we had to wait for 3 busses until we could get on, so we didn't miss anything, but it was a long wait.

I'm just hoping for some discussion to help us pick a resort the next time around.

TowMater92 12-08-2012 07:01 PM

I'll take the BW/BC/YC/S&D boats/walk to two parks and bus everywhere else over the monorail resorts. :thumbsup2 Not to mention they are closer to the center of WDW so it makes the bus rides shorter. We also use our car to go to DTD where ever we stay because those are the longest bus rides at WDW.

jade1 12-08-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowMater92 (Post 46883781)
I'll take the BW/BC/YC/S&D boats/walk to two parks and bus everywhere else over the monorail resorts. :thumbsup2 Not to mention they are closer to the center of WDW so it makes the bus rides shorter. We also use our car to go to DTD where ever we stay because those are the longest bus rides at WDW.

Yep, we split stays with BLT and BCV, eliminates almost all buses while we are there. But if I had to pick 100% bus rides vs a monorail resort-would still pick a monorail resort.

mesaboy2 12-08-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyjen27

Stayed at Poly because of it's convenience as a monorail resort and proximity to TTC.

The monorail was great when it was working, but 3 of the 8 days it was delayed, not working at all, or not working to EPCOT.

My BIL/SIL said when they stayed at the CBR 10 years ago, they had a great experience with transportation.

So, Disney Veterans:

Is it better to stay at a resort that relies 100% on busses because they will always be running and are reliable?
Is it better to stay at a monorail resort, because for the 65% of the time they are working, they are super convenient?

I did plan way ahead both days, started at 7 for my BBB at 8 in the MK. Still didn't make MK until 8:45AM, luckily they took us anyway (we couldn't even take the boat at 7 because it was 2 hours before park opening). The third day it didn't matter, because we were meandering to EP, but we had to wait for 3 busses until we could get on, so we didn't miss anything, but it was a long wait.

I'm just hoping for some discussion to help us pick a resort the next time around.

A monorail resort. Worst thing that happens is that you don't have the option of monorail and take the bus anyway.

North of Mouse 12-08-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyjen27 (Post 46883759)

So, Disney Veterans:

Maybe we just get lucky, but I'm always amazed at the problems people have with Disney transportation.

We also just got back from a 10 night stay at Disney and never had any transportation problems at all (granted, we did not stay at a monorail resort). We did ride the monorail to Epcot and MK at various times, plus going to the resorts there for a dining ressies. We also have AP's and go in the parks every day.

We go to WDW for 10 nights 3 times a year and maybe once in one of our stays do we have a late issue - we have had nothing but praise for the Disney transportation and are happy to not have to drive anywhere.

I'm sure there are problems at various times, but we just seem to escape them. :goodvibes

Wood Nymph 12-08-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyjen27 (Post 46883759)
So, Disney Veterans:

None of the above. ;) It is better to stay at BC/VC/BWI and be able to walk into one park (Epcot), take a boat or a longer walk into another park (HS), and a bus or a much longer walk through Epcot to the monorail to MK. Everyone has to take a bus to AK, so that one doesn't really count. :angel: