The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   disABILITIES! (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Question for Insulin Dependant Diabetics at Disney (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030413)

disney's daughter 12-07-2012 08:12 AM

Question for Insulin Dependant Diabetics at Disney
 
I am now on the sliding scale for my insulin dosages and must test before each meal before giving myself a shot. Where do I go to test? i would appreciate any suggestions.:confused3

JUJU814 12-07-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disney's daughter (Post 46874481)
I am now on the sliding scale for my insulin dosages and must test before each meal before giving myself a shot. Where do I go to test? i would appreciate any suggestions.:confused3

Personally, I'd just go to the restroom. If I was at a quick service place, just try to find someplace out of the way, away from the table.

If you're in a mob scene and at a quick service place, you should be able to just discreetly test on your lap under the table. No one would ever know. It just takes a few seconds.

Just don't pull out your equipment on the dining table in a nice restaurant.;)

disney david 12-07-2012 08:42 AM

You could go to first aid at any of the parks and they could give you a private room. So you could test their as many time you need through out the day.

Piper 12-07-2012 08:55 AM

I just test very discretely at the table (with my hands in my lap so people don't see what I am doing.) Most of the time people don't even know I've tested. I've even had my sister ask if I didn't need to test after I already had!

JUJU814 12-07-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disney david (Post 46874677)
You could go to first aid at any of the parks and they could give you a private room. So you could test their as many time you need through out the day.

That is another good option, but if you're trying to enjoy touring the parks it's a little impractical to have to keep running back there. I just keep my glucometer in my purse. It's so small and you can use it discreetly anywhere. Why spend so much time going back to First aid every few hours if you can really test anywhere? It literally takes less than a minute to test.

I think back to the days when the machines were these big clunky things. They sure have come a long way!

disney david 12-07-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUJU814

That is another good option, but if you're trying to enjoy touring the parks it's a little impractical to have to keep running back there. I just keep my glucometer in my purse. It's so small and you can use it discreetly anywhere. Why spend so much time going back to First aid every few hours if you can really test anywhere? It literally takes less than a minute to test.

I think back to the days when the machines were these big clunky things. They sure have come a long way!

I know just trying to give an option for a clean and private place to do it. As other said works good to and may he going to the first aid not practical because as you said you might be in the other side of the park.

kxs401 12-07-2012 02:13 PM

Echoing what everyone else has said, I just test in the restroom or quickly and discreetly at the table.

Talking Hands 12-07-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disney's daughter (Post 46874481)
I am now on the sliding scale for my insulin dosages and must test before each meal before giving myself a shot. Where do I go to test? i would appreciate any suggestions.:confused3

Just test discretely at your table. I have been doing it for years. Same for my shots.

Chickenlady 12-07-2012 06:47 PM

Anywhere at anytime....except the restroom...yuck! No one even notices.

PatsMom 12-08-2012 09:54 AM

I am another who will test anywhere, any time. For pre meal readings, I test at the table. If I am checking for a low, I'll test wherever I happen to be. I never test in the restroom. I can't think of anyplace that sounds more disgusting to poke a hole in my skin! Its probably fine but for some reason it just creeps me out. I got a little germophobic doing chemo!

Talking Hands 12-08-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenlady (Post 46878433)
Anywhere at anytime....except the restroom...yuck! No one even notices.

Completely agree. Bathrooms are nasty and I would never test of inject in one. If it creeps someone out that I am testing just look away.

Piper 12-08-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Hands (Post 46881725)
Completely agree. Bathrooms are nasty and I would never test of inject in one. If it creeps someone out that I am testing just look away.


I agree completely!

Sadie22 12-08-2012 05:15 PM

I have Type 2 and I don't use insulin, but I test wherever I happen to be. I schedule sitdown meals a couple of times during the day so I will definitely test at the table.

Gooshy 12-08-2012 05:54 PM

My mom is also a type 2. She tests at the table under it. And she gives her meds at the table as well. If you act like nothings the bother no one will notice:cool1:well thats her moto when out and about.

Debbie Jean 12-09-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Hands (Post 46881725)
Completely agree. Bathrooms are nasty and I would never test of inject in one. If it creeps someone out that I am testing just look away.

I do go to the restroom first to wash my hands ;) but as others have said, I test at the table.:thumbsup2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.