The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How many days before Christmas does the rush REALLY begin?? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030204)

ErinsMommy 12-06-2012 04:59 PM

How many days before Christmas does the rush REALLY begin??

We're going in February for DH's birthday and although surprised it took her so long, DD finally got around to asking when can she go to Disney for HER birthday. Well her birthday is 5 days before XMas and I just don't have that kind of energy or patience (and I KNOW she won't either when it comes down to it).

So planning ahead -- WAY ahead (hoping for a possible BB offer when we arrive), what is the LAST date we would want to be in Disney before the madness begins?

mesaboy2 12-06-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinsMommy
We're going in February for DH's birthday and although surprised it took her so long, DD finally got around to asking when can she go to Disney for HER birthday. Well her birthday is 5 days before XMas and I just don't have that kind of energy or patience (and I KNOW she won't either when it comes down to it).

So planning ahead -- WAY ahead (hoping for a possible BB offer when we arrive), what is the LAST date we would want to be in Disney before the madness begins?

In my experience, it starts to ramp up right around the 20th or so.

nkereina 12-06-2012 06:33 PM

It's been said that December gets progressively busier with each day, up to Christmas. I'd think that the last weekend before Christmas is when a lot of people arrive, and stay through the holiday. I probably would want to be gone by the last weekend before Christmas...

The first two weeks of December are an ideal time to go. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is the parade taping at MK which is the first Friday of December, and also Pop Warner week which is only a factor if you stay at the All Stars or CSR/CBR.

ErinsMommy 12-06-2012 07:09 PM

Thank you. We'll probably look to stay at a POR Royal Room unless we get a decent enough BB offer to double back to the CR or Poly for the MK Views.

Eventer98 12-06-2012 08:42 PM

When we went in 08 we noticed the crowds on 12/22...but I don't remember how the weekend/holiday fell that year either!

Texashokies 12-06-2012 08:53 PM

Twice we have flown home on 12/23. Prior to that the crowds were no worse than an average day in June. We really didn't notice a difference from the day we got there vs. our last day there.

ErinsMommy 12-06-2012 08:53 PM

i just looked at the 2013 calendar. the 19th falls on a Thursday. trying to squeeze her birthday in there, if we got there 12/14 (Saturday) and leave for home the following Saturday (12/21), we'll for the most part have had a decent week of not-so-long lines and avoid park closures in the entirety...or is that wishful/unlikely thinking??

mesaboy2 12-06-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinsMommy
i just looked at the 2013 calendar. the 19th falls on a Thursday. trying to squeeze her birthday in there, if we got there 12/14 (Saturday) and leave for home the following Saturday (12/21), we'll for the most part have had a decent week of not-so-long lines and avoid park closures in the entirety...or is that wishful/unlikely thinking??

I think those dates would be pretty good. :thumbsup2

TwoCortWort 12-06-2012 09:52 PM

The dates you have are good ones. It gets worse as the week of Christmas approaches.

jeffn5631 12-06-2012 10:09 PM

This should be a big clue....blackout dates for seasonal passholders start on Dec 20th and run thru Jan 1st. If you don't like big crowds I would avoid those dates.

ErinsMommy 12-07-2012 09:22 AM

thank you!! not sure DH would be so on board with going that soon after we just went - but last nite I brainstormed that maybe she'll be old enough for Universalat that time and SeaWorld will be open -- so we'll make it a 3 park vacation.

LekiaHall 12-07-2012 09:46 AM

We're going for almost your exact dates this year. Never been before in December. Hoping we get low crowds (or at least no Christmas rush towards the end of our stay).

Luv2CtheMouse 12-07-2012 10:50 AM

Usually around the 19th

saskdw 12-07-2012 11:10 AM

It depends what your version of too busy is?

We have spent 3 of the last 4 Christmas at WDW. Because we are able to go for 2 weeks usually Dec. 14th-28th, we are veterans of experiencing all the days leading upto and after Christmas. It has varied a little year to year. In 2008 it was the 23rd when I first thought to myself "where did all these people come from?" The crowds were quite pleasant uo to that point. In 2010 I would say the 22nd the crowds level really went up. Last year I actually didn't think the crowds got "crazy" until the 26th. Even on Christmas day we went to AK and it wasn't bad. MK was crazy, but AK/DHS were ok. The 26th it was crazy and when we were leaving on the 28th 2 parks were at capacity.

reginaastralis 12-07-2012 01:13 PM

DD is the same way, she wants to go to Disney for her birthday but it's too busy for her to be happy (and me to be sane)

Her birthday is Jan 2nd, and usually people are leaving the parks around then, but not this year since it falls in the middle of Christmas break. Instead, I made a deal that she could have a small sleepover with a few friends. I think I'd rather be in Disney.

And I agree with a pp, look at when the discounts and seasonal blocks happen, we, personally, avoid those times as much as possible.