The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Appointment time windows (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3029795)

daughtersrus 12-05-2012 04:28 PM

Appointment time windows

No matter what, whenever I'm giving a window of time for an appointment, I am always last!

We're supposed to have a repair person come from Dish Network today. The time given was 12-5pm and they would call first to give us a better idea of the exact time. Well, it's 4:25 and still no call. They said that it usually takes 1 1/2 -3 hours. That means sitting at home for 8 hours. Of course they will probably be right when Survivor comes on.

Someone has to be first. I wish just once it could be me.

kaytieeldr 12-05-2012 04:38 PM

A five hour window? That's not a window, that's a garage door! Anyway, I hope he's there by now, and done quickly.

Christine 12-05-2012 04:59 PM

Uh, no, you are not always last, *I* am always last. Always. I have never, ever, ever, gotten visited by a service person at the "top" of the window. I swear they sit and drink coffee somewhere until it's your time!

dmdelight 12-05-2012 05:06 PM

we once had a morning appt-between 7am and 2pm-how exactly does that work?! :confused3
delivery guy came at 1.45pm- so not right at the end! :)

scrapquitler 12-05-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaytieeldr (Post 46862364)
A five hour window? That's not a window, that's a garage door! Anyway, I hope he's there by now, and done quickly.

:lmao: The last time the phone company was scheduled to come to my house, I was told they would be here "between 8am and 8pm" :rotfl2: I waited at home ALL DAY. At 8:00PM i called because they hadn't shown up, and they said the service guy called in at 4PM and told them I wasn't home!
Liar. :mad:

Albort 12-05-2012 07:04 PM

called att yesterday... window was 12-4. they showed up at 5:30. :\ Then spent 2 min telling me the problem and left...

Could have told me on the phone!!!

Mickey'snewestfan 12-05-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daughtersrus (Post 46862289)
No matter what, whenever I'm giving a window of time for an appointment, I am always last!

We're supposed to have a repair person come from Dish Network today. The time given was 12-5pm and they would call first to give us a better idea of the exact time. Well, it's 4:25 and still no call. They said that it usually takes 1 1/2 -3 hours. That means sitting at home for 8 hours. Of course they will probably be right when Survivor comes on.

Someone has to be first. I wish just once it could be me.

There's a really easy way to make sure you guy comes at the start of the window. Decide to do just 1 more thing at work before you run home and arrive 2 or 3 minutes late. It works quite well for me.

The same tactic works on food delivery. Our local Thai restaurant always takes at least 45 minutes and calls when they arrive downstairs. But the one time I call them and decide I can take the dog for a 10 minute walk, never more than 1 minute away from the door (so if by chance they do call I can run home), they come, convince someone to let me in, and are upstairs trying to convince my teenager to pay by the time I get home.

daughtersrus 12-05-2012 07:53 PM

Well, he just left. He called at 4:45 to tell me that he just got the job dispatched to him and that he would be right over. Problem was, he was in another suburb 25 miles away. Heading west from Chicago at rush hour is never easy. He arrived about 5:45.

At least by that time, DH was home from work. Long story short, he said that he couldn't go on our roof where the dish is because it's unsafe without installing some type of safety planks into our roof:scared1: No way is that going to happen because we just put a new roof on the house a few years ago. He then says that the dish never should have been put up where it is. He also said that there could be a problem with one of the wires but the siding guys put them behind the siding when we replaced that a few years ago.

He changed all of the connections that he could get to outside as well as in the house. He said that he found a tear in one of the wires but since it was so dark outside, he can't be sure if he did it when he was taking it off to replace it or not.

He installed somethings on the DVR that connects to our wireless internet. He said that if we loose signal again, to call and they will have to send someone out that will have to relocate the dish.

DeaverTex 12-05-2012 10:59 PM

The only thing that usually happens for us earlier rather than later, is pizza delivery, and that's because the place we order from is only a few blocks away. Otherwise, we get the usual, "A service representative will be there promptly between 8:00 am and St. Swithin's Day." Betcha can't guess when he actually arrives. :sad2:

mamamary 12-06-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daughtersrus (Post 46863824)
Well, he just left. He called at 4:45 to tell me that he just got the job dispatched to him and that he would be right over. Problem was, he was in another suburb 25 miles away. Heading west from Chicago at rush hour is never easy. He arrived about 5:45.

At least by that time, DH was home from work. Long story short, he said that he couldn't go on our roof where the dish is because it's unsafe without installing some type of safety planks into our roof:scared1: No way is that going to happen because we just put a new roof on the house a few years ago. He then says that the dish never should have been put up where it is. He also said that there could be a problem with one of the wires but the siding guys put them behind the siding when we replaced that a few years ago.

He changed all of the connections that he could get to outside as well as in the house. He said that he found a tear in one of the wires but since it was so dark outside, he can't be sure if he did it when he was taking it off to replace it or not.

He installed somethings on the DVR that connects to our wireless internet. He said that if we loose signal again, to call and they will have to send someone out that will have to relocate the dish.

What a pain!!!

DVC-Don 12-06-2012 09:21 AM

Yesterday I got a window of 10 to noon for the Brighthouse cable tech to come to the house. He was here at 9:45. :)

JoiseyMom 12-06-2012 09:58 AM

Oy, I feel your pain. I had that last week with 2 dishwasher repair companies. I went to a local company, they told me the window, I said well I won't be here at 5...I need to leave at 4:30, he was like..oh no problem. Get a phone call at 4:00, saying he will be there in 20 minutes...umm... I told them yesterday I won't be here. Oh, ok...call you later. They called later that night, I wasn't home, and DS says can I take a message, no, they will call back. Did they call ?? Nope...

So I called Sears (didn't want too), also another window that ends at five. I get a call at 4:30, and he asks what the problem is...he is going back and forth. I talk to DH, who worked from home, and said, the guy doesn't want to come here, he wants to go home. So I cancelled, and DH fixed the dishwasher the next day.

OT: Do they purposely make these machines so that a person at home can't fix it or it takes forever so that they will hire someone or buy a new one?? It is crazy... And I didn't want a new one!

JennaDeeDooDah 12-06-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapquitler (Post 46862959)
:lmao: The last time the phone company was scheduled to come to my house, I was told they would be here "between 8am and 8pm" :rotfl2: I waited at home ALL DAY. At 8:00PM i called because they hadn't shown up, and they said the service guy called in at 4PM and told them I wasn't home!
Liar. :mad:

This happened to me, too, but it was the cable guy! I called to ask why he never showed up and they informed me that he did, but that I wasn't home when he arrived. I told them that I was home all day and that my parents, sister, and boyfriend were also at my house all day. we were in the room with the front door. There was no knock and no ringing of the doorbell. They insisted that he said he both knocked, rang the doorbell, and called me, but I didn't answer any of them. They wanted to reschedule for two weeks out. I went with another company.