The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC-Mousecellaneous (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Short trip...going w/o KIDS...feeling guilty! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3029644)

Goofy&Sleepy 12-05-2012 12:02 PM

Short trip...going w/o KIDS...feeling guilty!

Decided a little over a month ago (after coming back from Oct trip w/girls 10 &7) that there were things we wanted to do w/o them (& not hear them complain about).;) . Got a $80 flight (into Sanford but ok) so booked SSR (THEN BCV came thru last week which is GREAT b/c we LOVE Epcot/Studios at Christmas). Inlaws coming in & we leave next Friday & return on Monday. NOW I am OVERCOME w/guilt! STILL haven't told them. Did WDW on honeymoon & 5th year anniversary (when we bought into DVC 11 years ago). Have NEVER taken a trip w/o them to the World. They DO go 2x/year so I SHOULDN"T feel bad...or should I! This is OUR Christmas present to each other btw....& it's kind of for them:) as we want to see how the flight goes as I am planning the Princess 1/2 in Feb. (usually drive 9hrs) & we ARE surprising them w/a quick trip! SHOULD WE TELL THEM we're going next week or not??? Anybody else go w/o kids. Of course, friends think we're crazy but I know my fellow disers would understand (?) Right?!

erionm 12-05-2012 12:05 PM

Don't have kids, but you do deserve some adult alone time every once in a while don't you?

Maleficent53 12-05-2012 12:10 PM

As long as you are not leaving the kids home alone, unsupervised, you have no reason to feel guilty! You and your husband need and deserve some alone time and WDW is the perfect place for that. Go and have a great time!

BTW - over the years I took many trips without the kids. They didn't resent it because they always knew that there would be one with them in the near future.

lisaviolet 12-05-2012 12:19 PM

Stop it! :goodvibes

You are thinking of your children by having a wonderful time with your husband.

Okay, this is a tad off topic and on a soapbox :rotfl:.... are you ready?

I honestly feel like there would be a lot less divorce if couples took this part of their life more seriously. Or maybe if mothers took this part of their lives more seriously. ;);) My parents have been married 56 years. They ALWAYS took adult time. Regular adult time/parties. And adult trips. (For the most part short weekends in the area but still did it.)

What did I think as a child? HATED it. :rotfl2:;) Of course. I wanted to go. Oh well for me. But as an adult I say good for them. GOOD FOR THEM. And I celebrate that part of their life - do not resent it in the least.

We had inexpensive family trips of course. Camping. Once a family trip to WDW in 1974. I can't believe they afforded that. Okay I'm ramblin'.

So GO. NO guilt. Have a wonderful time.

backyardponder 12-05-2012 12:25 PM

Go and have a great time. We often watch our grandkids so their parents can go somewhere. Our job is to spoil them and they love it and don't resent anything.

Since you are at the BC, in the evening be sure to check out Jellyrolls which is an adult only dueling piano bar on the Boardwalk, near the Atlantic Dance Hall. Fantastic entertainment. There is a cover charge ($10 - $15). You can't charge your drinks to your Disney room, but they do take all the normal credit cards...and cash as well!

Kristibo42 12-05-2012 12:27 PM

We have taken 2 trips without kids. We usually go every year so they were only sad a little but understood. She had fun with the grandparents so it all worked out. We are taking another adult only one next year.

crazybones27 12-05-2012 01:15 PM

We have now done two trips to WDW without our children. They are only 4 and 3 now. I felt guilty for not bringing them, but we really needed the break to enjoy each other. Our kids actually loved being with their grandparents so much they cried when we came home. Now later in life we might not get the same reaction, but for now it seems like the break is good all around. I do think sometimes the kids need a break from us too :).

No matter what there is always a little guilt that goes with a trip without them because you think of what you could be doing with them while there. Just remember they'll be back with you in no time having fun :goodvibes.

stmize 12-05-2012 01:19 PM

Dh and I are doing just this prior to an adult only cruise on the dream next mo

BabsBunny 12-05-2012 01:21 PM

Lisaviolet is right. My kids are in their late teens, and I'm seeing my peers' marriages drop like flies. I think one of the culprits is that couples often make everything so about their kids that when those kids get older and more independent, mom and dad look at each other and realize they've neglected their relationship and there is nothing there.

I don't know whether you should tell the kids or not. That's up to you. Personally, I'd probably tell them when we got home (with a nice present in tow lol). Kids are ninjas, so they'd probably find out somehow anyway. ;)

Have a great time!

DannysMom 12-05-2012 01:21 PM

I only wish I had someone willing to take my kids for a weekend, so we could do an adults only trip! Go. Have fun! (I'm jealous! ) ;-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Goofy&Sleepy 12-05-2012 01:21 PM

Thanks all! Felt like I'd get support here. We both work full time so that adds to my guilt (being away from them) but it is a VERY short trip. Don't think I'll do DH idea & FACETIME them from the castle though....:rotfl::rotfl:

BabsBunny 12-05-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofy&Sleepy (Post 46860257)
Thanks all! Felt like I'd get support here. We both work full time so that adds to my guilt (being away from them) but it is a VERY short trip. Don't think I'll do DH idea & FACETIME them from the castle though....:rotfl::rotfl:

I bet if you posted this on CB, you'd get at least a couple responses telling you that your kids are only little for a short while and that they would NEVER do such an abusive thing as leave the snowflakes home with grandma and grandpa for a few nights. ;)

DisneyRegulars 12-05-2012 02:28 PM

We went alone for our 10 year anniversary this summer. I didn't feel guilty leaving my 2 year old son with grandma, if anything it made me want to buy more points so we can go every year. Go! Have fun! And don't worry about the kids.

rmcildw2m 12-05-2012 07:35 PM

don't we as parents deserve time away from the kidds now and again.

WonderinAland 12-05-2012 08:15 PM

For the last several years I've done one worse (or better??) and gone on an adults-only, girls-only trip. Left the kids at home with my (great) husband. A couple times we've done races, but this year we're giving up that pretense and are hitting a spa instead!
Eagerly looking forward to adult-only trips with my husband, but we have a hard time convincing the grands to watch the kids. We are in the process of buying some BWV points resale for future F&W long weekends...
So don't feel guilty!