The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I've always said I would never be a resort changer during a vacation again.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3029290)

Belle5 12-04-2012 02:33 PM

I've always said I would never be a resort changer during a vacation again....
 
One year we switched from Hyatt Grand Cypress to WL to POR to CBR. This was over a period of 15 days with two rooms of people. It was during Christmas break. We had 17 pieces of luggage because of all the heavy clothing needed that time of year. We had the worst flu/pneumonia ever while there and that made moving worse.

I said we would never do it again... Well, we have three reservations for our spring trip (7 nights). Why? Well, there are only four of us and we will travel very light (shorts and t-shirts). The kids WANT to experience different pools, etc. We have been so often that the parks aren't that big of a deal to us. We really enjoy experiencing different places. OKW will be new to us.

For those who have ENJOYED resort switching during a stay, I would like to read tips on how you made it successful...even if it was just an attitude adjustment (or perhaps some advice on how WDW can help make it easier).

I've already seen the downside personally...but wouldn't be opposed to reading some cautions while I still have time to change my mind!

My countdown ticker isn't accurate...couldn't figure out how to show all three resorts!

cluvsdisney 12-04-2012 02:43 PM

I would try to organize the suitcases so that I wouldn't need to fully unpack at each resort. Keep certain things together in one bag like toiletries, shoes, bathing suits since we'd use them at each resort. The rest of the clothes would be packed in outfits instead of by person.

spiceycat 12-04-2012 02:52 PM

only with 2 resorts not as many as you are doing. also when traveling solo - for it is just me.

you are DVC member right - then you can go pool hoping to Polyn, gf(for now), wl, ssr. okw, bwv all moderates and values

you can not pool hope to AKL/V, YC, BC/V, BLT (cr pool is not mention in either so not sure) you must be staying there.

you can do the other stuff even not staying there.

this your trip as much as the kids - if you don't want to resort hop tell them up front. if you still decide to do this - tell the kids they are responsible for their stuff - packing and unpacking - if they lose something it is gone. (not really but you want to show them that will not be all on you to do everything)

love the resorts too - spend more time in the resort than in the parks...

this is your decision but make sure you can go it.

when I change -- go to the resort early you can check in at 6:30am - if the room is ready move then (even if it means waking everyone up)

if not then either go back to my old resort and eat or read - or if EMH are at a park I like - go to that park.

if you don't want to do either - then you can go swimming in the new place - for that you need a backpack with swimming suites, sun screen, change of clothing, plus always take any pills (prescription and non-prescription) - plus what you like to do - book. computer, cell phone, Ipod - whatever.

Belle5 12-04-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiceycat (Post 46853087)
when I change -- go to the resort early you can check in at 6:30am - if the room is ready move then (even if it means waking everyone up)

if not then either go back to my old resort and eat or read - or if EMH are at a park I like - go to that park.

if you don't want to do either - then you can go swimming in the new place - for that you need a backpack with swimming suites, sun screen, change of clothing, plus always take any pills (prescription and non-prescription) - plus what you like to do - book. computer, cell phone, Ipod - whatever.

This is very helpful! Thank you!

BTW...I am not a DVC owner...just staying at OKW through Disney.

Belle5 12-04-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluvsdisney (Post 46852995)
I would try to organize the suitcases so that I wouldn't need to fully unpack at each resort. Keep certain things together in one bag like toiletries, shoes, bathing suits since we'd use them at each resort. The rest of the clothes would be packed in outfits instead of by person.

Makes sense! Normally, we unpack for a week's stay. We will not be able to do that!

magicwishes 12-04-2012 05:34 PM

I completely agree with packing for each part of the trip rather than each person having his/her own suitcase. Suitcase A for resort A, suitcase B for resort B, etc. With our kids, we pack each outfit in a gallon ziploc as well. That way we grab a ziploc each night and put it out for the morning. It makes it much faster and then you are less likely to end up with a jumbled suitcase mess with pajamas, socks, underwear, shirts all over the place by day 2-3 of the trip. You could do it without ziplocs as well and stack outfits for everyone by day.

Disney moved all our groceries and suitcases. Bell services picked up all our stuff from our room. The next time we saw it was at our new resort. They refrigerated our groceries that needed it. They wheeled it to our new room on a luggage rack. It was relatively painless. We tipped bell services on both ends.

Personally for a 7 night trip, I would just switch once.

We stayed at AKL and OKW. We loved both for different reasons. I hope you have an awesome trip.

Belle5 12-04-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicwishes (Post 46854387)
I completely agree with packing for each part of the trip rather than each person having his/her own suitcase. Suitcase A for resort A, suitcase B for resort B, etc.

Great idea!

BCV23 12-04-2012 05:51 PM

Hi Belle. :hug:

I try to plan a park day when we are switching resorts. Makes it less painful wondering if the new room is ready. If you will have a car, I recommend checking into the new resort first thing in the morning. They will ask for your number to alert you by text or phone when your room/villas is ready but I try to remember to ask for their card with phone number, too. Occasionally, the text notification falls through the cracks.

I'm sure you know but one of the delights of a villa is the washer/dryer in one BRs/larger and free use of the public ones if in a studio. We always unpack even if for a couple nights but take far less that if we were in a regular resort room.

May your family be healthy this trip!!pixiedust:

Belle5 12-04-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCV23 (Post 46854510)
Hi Belle. :hug:

I try to plan a park day when we are switching resorts. Makes it less painful wondering if the new room is ready. If you will have a car, I recommend checking into the new resort first thing in the morning. They will ask for your number to alert you by text or phone when your room/villas is ready but I try to remember to ask for their card with phone number, too. Occasionally, the text notification falls through the cracks.

I'm sure you know but one of the delights of a villa is the washer/dryer in one BRs/larger and free use of the public ones if in a studio. We always unpack even if for a couple nights but take far less that if we were in a regular resort room.

May your family be healthy this trip!!pixiedust:

:hug:BCV23! Nice to see you again and thanks for responding to my question! I love the idea of checking in very early and waiting for the text that things are ready!

Hooked On The Mouse 12-04-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicwishes (Post 46854387)
I completely agree with packing for each part of the trip rather than each person having his/her own suitcase. Suitcase A for resort A, suitcase B for resort B, etc. With our kids, we pack each outfit in a gallon ziploc as well. That way we grab a ziploc each night and put it out for the morning. It makes it much faster and then you are less likely to end up with a jumbled suitcase mess with pajamas, socks, underwear, shirts all over the place by day 2-3 of the trip.

This is exactly what we do as well! It makes it so easy for the kids to get dressed quickly and it also really minimizes packing/unpacking time. We love split stays and will probably always do them because we love the variety. We have never had the slightest problem or loss of park time. I think people who like to unpack everything into drawers and arrange it as they do at home will find split stays an inconvenience; every time they change resorts it is like moving house.

magicwishes 12-04-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooked On The Mouse (Post 46854640)
This is exactly what we do as well! It makes it so easy for the kids to get dressed quickly and it also really minimizes packing/unpacking time. We love split stays and will probably always do them because we love the variety. We have never had the slightest problem or loss of park time. I think people who like to unpack everything into drawers and arrange it as they do at home will find split stays an inconvenience; every time they change resorts it is like moving house.

Reading threads on the Dis boards is the first time I realized people actually unpack their suitcase. I have always just lived out of my suitcase on trips. It's generally less effort than to pack and unpack things for me. I also don't have to worry about leaving something in a random drawer.

fla4fun 12-05-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicwishes (Post 46854659)
Reading threads on the Dis boards is the first time I realized people actually unpack their suitcase. I have always just lived out of my suitcase on trips. It's generally less effort than to pack and unpack things for me. I also don't have to worry about leaving something in a random drawer.

I don't unpack into drawers, but I do hang clothes in the closet. I've read that some people like to store their dirty laundry in the drawers (yuck:sick:) but I throw some hangers in the bottom of my suitcase and hang clothes up to get the travel creases out. I usually have one suitcase I put on the stand and use as a "drawer" for socks and other items that don't easily hang up.

I don't do split stays myself because I like to make myself at home and be settled for the duration of the trip. But I definitely use the "suitcase per hotel" suggestion when I am on a road trip with overnight stops on the way to the destination. I have several smaller bags that I can pack a change of clothes in, and then I put my toiletries in a large ziploc that I can transfer from bag to bag along the way. It's also much easier to only carry in one small bag instead of a large heavy suitcase at every stop. So I would second the idea of packing for everyone in cases designated for particular resorts, and having the items you will need at every resort in a ziploc baggie that is easy to switch from one set of bags to the next.

Belle5 01-10-2013 05:09 PM

OP here...I know it's been more than a month since I asked this question, but I wanted to update and say that we decided to just stay at OKW for the week. I am pretty happy about that! It will be our first stay in a DVC resort. We are not owners.

FWIW, in May we took our six sons and new daughter-in-law and stayed in a 4 bedroom presidential unit at WBC. I really missed being on-site, though WBC was very nice. The villa was HUGE but we don't need that kind of space this time with only the two younger boys going.

BCV23, check your P.M.s


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.