The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Transportation (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   asthma inhaler on plane? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3029197)

hsmamato2 12-04-2012 11:56 AM

asthma inhaler on plane?

ok, my ds was diagnosed with asthma today (3 days till trip:eek:) and he now has to use an inhaler for the next 4-5 days at least. Can we bring this in our carryon bag? Thanks....:goodvibes

koho 12-04-2012 12:13 PM

As long as the inhaler was prescribed by your doctor than you should not have a problem with the inhaler in your carryon. Besides I do not think it has more than 3oz of liquid. The best thing to do is put all you prescriptions in one plastic bag. That way if they have can not tell what something is on the X-ray then it will be easy to find.

LexiC123 12-04-2012 12:32 PM

I always travel with an inhaler in my handbag. I don't even take it out, and have never had a problem.

npealer 12-04-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexiC123 (Post 46851914)
I always travel with an inhaler in my handbag. I don't even take it out, and have never had a problem.

Same here, I always travel with mine just tossed in my carry on, never had a problem

bumbershoot 12-04-2012 12:50 PM

I have had it the 311 bag and out of it in random places, and it has never been a problem. And right now I'm still using up my Primatene Mist (a travesty that it's not on the market now...it saved my mom's life many times before rx inhalers were around and it works) so that's not even a prescription, and it is FINE.

disfan07 12-04-2012 01:00 PM

I travel with 2 long lasting inhalers (symbicort) and 3 resuce inhalers (xoponex) when we travel. I usually have 2 just tossed in my purse and the other ones tossed in a bag with the rest of my medications. Never had any problems.

hsmamato2 12-04-2012 02:59 PM

thank you for the info!:goodvibes I'm just thankful that we have this available,and hopefully ds will be feeling fine for our trip with it along!

bear_mom 12-04-2012 03:48 PM

Okay all you pp, this goes to show there is a conspiracy against me:sad2:. I've gotten stopped by security twice for my inhaler.

The first time was the first time we flew after the new rules, in 2007. I was told it was a liquid and needed to be declared. It didn't have to fit in my 3-1-1 bag, but had to be separate from rest of my belongings.

The second time was by accident, I forgot that I had one in the bottom of my backpack and my backpack was searched and I was lectured by security about how it is considered a liquid - which I really wanted to argue about, but I bit my tongue.

disfan07 12-04-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear_mom (Post 46853588)
Okay all you pp, this goes to show there is a conspiracy against me:sad2:. I've gotten stopped by security twice for my inhaler.

The first time was the first time we flew after the new rules, in 2007. I was told it was a liquid and needed to be declared. It didn't have to fit in my 3-1-1 bag, but had to be separate from rest of my belongings.

The second time was by accident, I forgot that I had one in the bottom of my backpack and my backpack was searched and I was lectured by security about how it is considered a liquid - which I really wanted to argue about, but I bit my tongue.

I have never heard of it being considered a liquid. I know my neb meds are considered liquids but never heard that about the inhalers...interesting

Moparlar 12-05-2012 07:53 AM

I have even taken my Nebulizer on planes with medicine and never been stopped. Also hint for anyone. If you have a nebulizer and have an attack on the plane you can use the oxygen canister and hook that up to the tube and it will atomize the medicine for you to breathe in. This is way better than having them land the plane which they will do. Don't ask me how I know :)

Larry

dis_guy 12-08-2012 11:19 AM

The 3-1-1 rule does not apply to medically necessary liquids. My daughter carries an Epipen and has never been asked about it and it doesn't have to go in her liquids bag. You'll be fine. Have a great trip!:)

beccasmom 12-09-2012 02:05 PM

I travel with both my maintenance and rescue inhalers. No issues ever!

Canadian Disney Mom 12-09-2012 08:31 PM

My DS and DH both have asthma so our carry-ons always have multiple inhalers (flovent, ventlalin, advair) and we have never had a problem.

Mary T in PA 12-11-2012 11:15 PM

I've never had any problems, and my inhalers are always with me but I do have a clear plastic bag that holds all my meds and it's in that bag.

jentifred 12-11-2012 11:47 PM

I've been flying with inhalers and epipens for over 20 years. I've never had any problems with either, not even after the liquid rules went into effect. Medications are exempt. If you go to the TSA website you can print off their rules just to keep with you in the unlikely even someone tries to argue with you.