The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cell phone reception (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3028547)

Ptwolfman 12-02-2012 10:17 PM

Cell phone reception

Was recently on the MR cruise. While in open water and in ports of call I had no cell phone reception. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm with Verizon, if that matters. I called them beforehand and was quoted international rates but was never told that I wouldn't receive texts or be able to place calls.

WebmasterKathy 12-02-2012 10:20 PM

I never saw any cell receiving towers out on the water. ;)

Jestocost 12-02-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 46839846)
Was recently on the MR cruise. While in open water and in ports of call I had no cell phone reception. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm with Verizon, if that matters. I called them beforehand and was quoted international rates but was never told that I wouldn't receive texts or be able to place calls.

While at sea your only option is to use the Cellular at Sea service. That's expensive. In the ports of call you are going to have to go with whatever your cell service offers. In my experience, Verizon is all international roaming. That's very expensive when it works and it's pretty squirrelly getting it to work.

Ptwolfman 12-02-2012 10:24 PM

So, is texting pretty much not an option & is it best to use the stateroom phone @ $7 per minute if it's a necessary call?

Jestocost 12-02-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 46839898)
So, is texting pretty much not an option & is it best to use the stateroom phone @ $7 per minute if it's a necessary call?

With Verizon, voice calls at sea will be $2.49 per minute and texts will be $.50 each to send and $.05 each to receive. Data services are about $20 per Mb. In port it will depend.

WebmasterKathy 12-02-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 46839898)

Yes. Phone (and internet) service from the ship is via satellite. It's expensive and slow compared to land-based service. You'd need a satellite phone instead of our normal cell phones to call while at sea. Texting works on the same lines.

You can buy Internet minutes on board to send and receive email. Again, it's expensive and slow compared to what you're accustomed to, but could be the solution you need if you must stay in touch.

Ptwolfman 12-02-2012 10:33 PM

I guess I should be asking how do I get service to be able to send texts and make calls

WebmasterKathy 12-02-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jestocost (Post 46839936)
With Verizon, voice calls at sea will be $2.49 per minute and texts will be $.50 each to send and $.05 each to receive. Data services are about $20 per Mb. In port it will depend.

Isn't that dependent on which ship you're on, and how that particular ship is equipped?

sayhello 12-02-2012 11:36 PM

It's possible the problem was your phone. You can borrow a Global phone from Verizon for the cost of postage (approximately $10.00). That way you'll be more likely to have service. You can also sign up for an international plan for the month, which will help cut the cost significantly while you're ashore. Calling on the ship is expensive no matter what you do.

Sayhello

Ptwolfman 12-03-2012 01:22 AM

Thank you. I think what I will do is get the international global plan and the ships wifi plan & just tell everyone to email me instead of texting. Definitely expensive but I'll just figure it into the budget

Jestocost 12-03-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy (Post 46839957)
Isn't that dependent on which ship you're on, and how that particular ship is equipped?

No. All of the DCL ships offer Cellular at Sea service, as far as I know. It doesn't matter which ship you are on. While the phone service is satellite based (like the Internet service), you do not need a satellite phone. Pricing and availability does vary by cell carrier and I assume not all phones and rate plans are compatible with the service. Cellular at Sea generally kicks in about 12 miles outside of any port.

Even if your phone is compatible and you make arrangements with your cell service provider to be able to use Cellular at Sea, there's no guarantee that it will work when you try it, however. Same with using your phone internationally, for that matter.

Cell service in ports varies by carrier too. My wife and kids have AT&T service and they can use their phones in PR and the USVI just like they can at home with no additional charges. My Verizon phone works like it does at home in PR but requires out-of-network roaming charges in the USVI.

NWDAD 12-03-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 46839846)

If you were in the MR then you would need an international plan. Most US plans stop at the border. To use your phone in Mexico you would have to add it. Don't know what the cost would be.

Kevin