The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Families (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How bad is it in August ? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027997)

MomtoBJSF 12-01-2012 01:54 PM

How bad is it in August ?

Will we survive it ?. We just got back from WDW last wednesday, while we were there DS#1 begged DH to celebrate his 7th birthday which is in august at WDW, and the softy caved and said yes, so we are now are looking to go back August 2nd-10th, while I'm excited I am so worried about the weather:sad2:, we live in TX and that is the hottest month here. How bad is the park/crowd level, and vowed that we would never go July/August to WDW, and yet here we are with a resort reservation already:rotfl2:.

Disneymooner07 12-01-2012 02:47 PM

It's survivable :) We went for our honeymoon in August and while it is definitely hot, hot, hot, if you go early to the parks and then leave midday to have a calmer lunch and a swim break or nap, it's actually really nice. It's kind of like having two different types of vacations (park chaos and resort calmness) in one!

And the parks are open so late in the summer that you can go back for dinner and enjoy the park at night when it's a wee bit cooler :) Have a great time!

SweetMissy 12-01-2012 05:18 PM

Hubby and I went on our first cruise in August (2002) and never again will I go to FL in the summer, lol. Way too hot for me. Depends on what you like. I LOVE summer....but NY summer is diffferent then FL summer. ;)

myramsy 12-01-2012 09:32 PM

I was wondering the same thing. With ds getting older and not wanting to miss school and more imporantly his hockey...it looks like August will be the only time we can go :scared:. I think if you go with a positive attitude all will be good...I mean it is Disney how bad can it be ;)

Disneymooner07 12-01-2012 09:49 PM

Well, one thing for sure is that the heat definitely affects the kids less than the adults :) As long as you keep the kids hydrated and fed with some rest periods in between, they seem not to care about the heat as much as we adults! Haha!

StitchesGr8Fan 12-01-2012 10:59 PM

We went this August for our honeymoon. Take towels to mop up sweat and invest in mister fans!

ADisneyQueen 12-01-2012 11:13 PM

We're thinking of going in early August, too. Also thinking about adding the water parks so you might want to do that. I'm scared to go when it's that hot. We got lucky on our trip in June and 3 of the days it was only in the 80's. We did spend a lot of time at the parks in the evening and sometimes didn't leave until 11 or 12.

disneyfreak18 12-02-2012 01:27 AM

It is super hot. I always take my trips in August. It is tolerable though. I would highly suggest taking an afternoon break back at the resort both to escape the big crowds and allow yourself time by the pool/in your room during the warmest part of the day. The nights are absolutely wonderful. I love being able to be out during extra magic hours at night in a tank top and shorts and be so comfortable.

married2mm 12-02-2012 08:11 AM

plenty of water,sunscreen,light clothing,air con,good antiperspirant, and rest and relaxation during hottest times of the day. water rides,pool time and water parks.

we are from the u.k. and usually go in august-it's hot, but wonderful heat!
we actually had a little chat with a guy from texas one year when we were getting another load of water, he was asking how we were coping with the heat, and said he was enjoying the cooler temps! :yay:

North of Mouse 12-02-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomtoBJSF (Post 46829807)
Will we survive it ?. We just got back from WDW last wednesday, while we were there DS#1 begged DH to celebrate his 7th birthday which is in august at WDW, and the softy caved and said yes, so we are now are looking to go back August 2nd-10th, while I'm excited I am so worried about the weather:sad2:, we live in TX and that is the hottest month here. How bad is the park/crowd level, and vowed that we would never go July/August to WDW, and yet here we are with a resort reservation already:rotfl2:.

Worse heat - worse crowds (except for holidays)

DonaldnDaisy5 12-02-2012 09:26 AM

We are from Michigan and I don't do great in heat, end up with sun sickness a loy

DonaldnDaisy5 12-02-2012 09:28 AM

Opps, a lot...we went last August and it was fine, lots of water and we used frog togs. It honestly didn't feel that much worse then August here...but we had a very hot summer and i guess we'd rather be hot in Disney then home!

MomtoBJSF 12-02-2012 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone!. We are going to make the best of it, and go, we will hit the park first thing in the AM, and then back to the resort by lunch time, we are also annual pass members so we have access to the water parks which we will take full advantage of. I'm hoping because we are going early in the month before free dinning, it will not be as crowded:rolleyes1, not holding my breath on that one though.

disneyfreak18 12-02-2012 11:06 AM

It is usually not too crowded within the first couple weeks of August. My family usually goes about the same time you are and if you use fast passes well and such you typically shouldn't have to wait more than 20 minutes or so for anything.

almburr 12-02-2012 01:40 PM

Have you heard of the Epcot death march?:rotfl2: we have gone in August before, and it was hot. My motto was- keep moving, if you stop you die! It was fun,would I do it again? yes, because it is WDW!