The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   AOA tips from a mom who's there right now : ) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027289)

phoebesmommy 11-29-2012 03:18 PM

AOA tips from a mom who's there right now : )
 
Hi!
Here are some things I was wanting to know before I came, hopefully it helps someone out!

1) I find Landscape of Flavors to be completely INSANE in the morning (and we are here when touring plans calls WDW a 2/10 for crowds!) seriously not ready for that before I have coffee. So although we are on the DP, next time I would make sure I had breakfast items in the too so we don't have to deal with all that when we first wake up.
2) I am a total coffee snob, but I think the room coffee is fabulous. It's just those Cuisinart pods, but they are so fresh and yummy! That being said, I wish I had a real coffee cup and some half and half...so we figured out we could take our refillable mugs and get half and half in one for the in-room coffee so I don't have to leave and go to crazy town before I've had my caffeine fix.
3) We are a family of 5, we have a 10 year old, an 8 year old and a newly 4 year old. We brought her a $25 cot to sleep in from Amazon, it fits beautifully next to the bed in the master bedroom. Awesome. We had one son on the table bed, and one on the fold out couch, perfect right? Not so much. I am a pretty light sleeper and barely slept a wink the first night...the brand new sheets are sooooooo loud- every time my husband moved it was crazy loud. Plus I have a bad back and those beds are just too soft for me, my back was hurting so bad. So we figured out that the two cushions from the couch put together long ways made a lovely twin size bed for our 10 year old. We just asked for some extra sheets and a blanket and wala! I got to,sleep on the oh-so-comfy table bed and now Mama's well rested and happy which means everyone is happy : )
4) The collapsible hamper idea I got from here worked awesome, I carried it over to the laundry mid week, and had an incredible margarita and read a People magazine by the big blue pool while I "did laundry". Awesome.
5) yes the room temp is an issue. But I figured out you can turn the fan on high and that helped a ton!

Last place we stayed was WL villas, which were amazing...but I love this, love the space, love the newness...looooove having our own car. It's been incredible, I'm sad to leave Saturday!

Winka 11-29-2012 08:53 PM

Thanks for the insight! If you have time for a couple of questions...

I didn't realize the 'coffeemaker' Disney describes was actually a pod machine. How many pods are available per day? Should I bring my own decaf?

And I was curious to know what you meant by the temperature? Did you mean that it was difficult to cool the place down evenly?

Do you know if they offer bedrails?

Edited to Add: If you've used the pull-down bed, do you have to completely remake the bed before you pull it back up to use the space for dining?

And the sheets are THAT crisp?

I'm glad to know you've enjoyed yourselves so much regardless of the few little hiccups in your resort stay.:thumbsup2

clanmcculloch 11-30-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

If you've used the pull-down bed, do you have to completely remake the bed before you pull it back up to use the space for dining?
The table folds back up from a bed to the table without making the bed. You do want to take off anything of yours (dolls, pjs, etc) before folding it up but it does fold back up very easily (one handed simple motion) without making the bed. Mousekeeping does still make the bed even if it's up when they get there; at least they did for us in August.

phoebesmommy 11-30-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winka
Thanks for the insight! If you have time for a couple of questions...

I didn't realize the 'coffeemaker' Disney describes was actually a pod machine. How many pods are available per day? Should I bring my own decaf?

And I was curious to know what you meant by the temperature? Did you mean that it was difficult to cool the place down evenly?

Do you know if they offer bedrails?

Edited to Add: If you've used the pull-down bed, do you have to completely remake the bed before you pull it back up to use the space for dining?

And the sheets are THAT crisp?

I'm glad to know you've enjoyed yourselves so much regardless of the few little hiccups in your resort stay.:thumbsup2


Sure! The coffee first came with 2 regular pods, 1 decaf. But after I used the pod, the next day she left like 4.

The temperature: I don't really get it, but the thermostat is motion activated, so if it doesn't sense someone moving the air defaults to 68. We sleep with it at like 66 at home, so at first it was a little warm for us but like I said the fan turned to high helped a lot.

I don't know if they offer bed rails

We kinda made the bed before we pushed it back up. There are only 2 blankets on there so it wasn't too tough : ) speaking of blankets, we asked for extra and it took almost 3 hours to get them so ask early when you get there, not at bedtime like we did.

Yes, the sheets are quite crispy...I'd debate bringing my own next time.

Couple other things I didn't realize-
-you have to bring your own room towels to the pool.
-the pool has great life jackets for kiddos. We forgot our puddle jumper and this worked just as well!
-We went to MVMCP last night (11/29) and debated driving as we have a car, but chose not to-bad choice! After, at 11:45 AOA had BY FAR the longest lines for buses...took up all the waiting area and spilled back into walking area-crazy! DH and I concluded that clearly AOA is busiest resort, it's new and exciting and everyone is staying here. Just be prepared!
-I have not heard anyone walking or showering on the floor above us or next to us. The halls however get pretty darn noisy with doors slamming and kiddos running in the morning. Nights have been pretty quiet.

TJDisneymama 11-30-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebesmommy (Post 46823367)
Sure! The coffee first came with 2 regular pods, 1 decaf. But after I used the pod, the next day she left like 4.

The temperature: I don't really get it, but the thermostat is motion activated, so if it doesn't sense someone moving the air defaults to 68. We sleep with it at like 66 at home, so at first it was a little warm for us but like I said the fan turned to high helped a lot.

t.

as i've read from others, you can put in a call to maintenance and they can come in and override it so you can lower it.

Masonmj84 11-30-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebesmommy (Post 46823367)
-We went to MVMCP last night (11/29) and debated driving as we have a car, but chose not to-bad choice! After, at 11:45 AOA had BY FAR the longest lines for buses...took up all the waiting area and spilled back into walking area-crazy! DH and I concluded that clearly AOA is busiest resort, it's new and exciting and everyone is staying here. Just be prepared!
-I have not heard anyone walking or showering on the floor above us or next to us. The halls however get pretty darn noisy with doors slamming and kiddos running in the morning. Nights have been pretty quiet.

Did you happen to notice how long the lines were for the ferry or the monorail when you left the party? (I'm desperately trying to get a feel for this, as we're planning to go to the party on our upcoming trip).

glammadiva 12-01-2012 07:34 AM

Bus lines can be long, but we assumed it was also because its mostly family suites. We were in building 8 LM room and facing the parking lot. We found it was pretty much the same distance between AOA main building and POP main building. We took POP bus once when the AOA line was super long
so that might be an option for some.

phoebesmommy 12-01-2012 05:42 PM

I did not notice the lines for the ferry or the monorail. But that idea about going to the Pop bus is a great one! I never thought of that and thd Pop bus was quite a bit shorter.

And we called maintenance to override the air and they never came. I could have complained but just blew it off. I will say that that and the blanket thing irritated me...the place costs too much to have requests not met!

TJDisneymama 12-01-2012 07:01 PM

are u still there? call again! or go to the front desk. i agree they charge enough that you should notbe sweatin your butt off! im requesting maintenance at check in. so if we go down to the pool for a few hours, i want it all set by the time were ready for bed the first night

Gabe's Mom 12-02-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebesmommy (Post 46817065)
3) We are a family of 5, we have a 10 year old, an 8 year old and a newly 4 year old. We brought her a $25 cot to sleep in from Amazon, it fits beautifully next to the bed in the master bedroom. Awesome. We had one son on the table bed, and one on the fold out couch, perfect right? Not so much. I am a pretty light sleeper and barely slept a wink the first night...the brand new sheets are sooooooo loud- every time my husband moved it was crazy loud. Plus I have a bad back and those beds are just too soft for me, my back was hurting so bad. So we figured out that the two cushions from the couch put together long ways made a lovely twin size bed for our 10 year old. We just asked for some extra sheets and a blanket and wala! I got to,sleep on the oh-so-comfy table bed and now Mama's well rested and happy which means everyone is happy : )


Last place we stayed was WL villas, which were amazing...but I love this, love the space, love the newness...looooove having our own car. It's been incredible, I'm sad to leave Saturday!

Are the pull out couch and the table bed not the same size as double beds? We are coming for Christmas week with 4 boys ages 13-3. I was hoping I could do a 13 yo and a 3 yo in one, 13 yo and 5 yo in the other. Think that will be too tight?
Thanks,
Michelle

phoebesmommy 12-06-2012 02:45 PM

Sorry for the late reply!

The fold out couch and table are both double maybe even queen size, they should be fine sharing. If not, make another bed out of couch cushions like we did, it was firm and comfy! My son loved it. Have fun!

Hooked On The Mouse 12-06-2012 09:37 PM

What's the collapsible hamper idea?

dansdad 12-06-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooked On The Mouse (Post 46872554)
What's the collapsible hamper idea?

Brining a collapsible hamper with you from home for dirty clothes. Helps keep the room neat.:thumbsup2

raven69david 12-06-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebesmommy (Post 46869778)
Sorry for the late reply!

The fold out couch and table are both double maybe even queen size, they should be fine sharing. If not, make another bed out of couch cushions like we did, it was firm and comfy! My son loved it. Have fun!

I'm at AOA little mermaid now. If you're still here, please PM me.

Hooked On The Mouse 12-07-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansdad (Post 46873087)
Brining a collapsible hamper with you from home for dirty clothes. Helps keep the room neat.:thumbsup2

:idea: Got it, thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.