The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Spirit of Aloha: Worst Disney Show Ever Produced (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027282)

phunchak 11-29-2012 04:02 PM

Spirit of Aloha: Worst Disney Show Ever Produced
 
Disney's Spirit of Aloha
----------------------

Notable lists of 'Worst Ever' include
Worst movie: Plan Nine From Outer Space
Worst tv show: My Mother the Car -
Worst theme park: New Jersey
Worst Lyrics: MacArthur Park
Spirit of Aloha deserves the title of worst Disney Show

I have been to Disneyland and DisneyWorld at least ten times (and twice on the Disney Cruise) and generally most shows and rides are very good. I can't remember any that I would give a below average rating. I've also been to Hawaii several times and been to a few Luaus and while the food isn't that great the shows are close to authentic and pretty good.

The Spirit of Aloha recommends you be there 45 mins before the show starts. This is for their convenience, not yours. You begin in your first of three queues. The first is to sign in and get your assigned seats, the second is the queue for the picture in front of their sign, and the third is a waiting area where there is a cash bar.

We were seated in Category 1 but at the table farthest from the stage. I asked the waiter if my 5 and 9 year old would be able to see and he enthusiastically said yes. I took his word for it even though there were 8 adults in front of them. When the show began I don't think they could see anything and they took no notice of it at all. Thankfully their young eyes were spared from the travesty that was about to begin.

The first 90 minutes of the show were a lame 'Hawaiian' band, the show itself and periods of awkward silence. The show could be described as a high school Hawaiian play. They brought out every corny move in the world.

*Lets have all the kids come up and dance

Five minutes later

*Lets have all the people with birthdays come up and dance

Five minutes later

*Lets have all the couples with anniversary a come up and dance

Then the show progressed with the 'adult' section I believe. The lead girl tore off her dress to reveal a bikini and the lead guy ripped off his shirt and said something like "check out these volcanoes!" while flexing his biceps

Then it ended with the Hawaii 5 0 theme song

Okay first 90 minutes over and I've been to a Luau where there have been no grass skirts, no fire dancers, no authentic costumes or songs. Check please!

We gave the waiter a generous tip (he was pretty good) and left as fast as we could. I knew beforehand that the last part of the show was the best but there was no way it could have gone from zero to a hundred. We salvaged the evening by watching the 9:30 fireworks on the beach of the Polynesian hotel which was very cool. If the last 30 mins of the show are so good why did they have to have 90 mins of pure crap beforehand?

The food was about what I expected. Bread and salad and then below average chicken, rice and ribs and then jello chocolate pudding formed into pyramids for dessert. It was actually better that I expected but still it was cafeteria food served to 500 people at once. Reviewers who say the food was exceptional are really out to lunch. How can you possibly feed that many people at once and have any type of quality. But it was still okay... we ate a lot of bread :)
If you must goto this show, try to show up late. There was a group that showed up an hour late next to us and they still received all the same food as us and were spared the first hour of the horror show.

TheRustyScupper 11-29-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunchak (Post 46816953)
. . . Worst movie: Plan Nine From Outer Space . . .


1) I would have said "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".
2) But, that has become a true cult-classic.
3) But, I do agree with your Luau sentiments.
4) After doing Hawaiian and Fiji luaus, SoA does not come close
. . . in food
. . . in show
. . . in storyline

PS - I also agree with you about "My Mother the Car".

Peachkins 11-29-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunchak (Post 46816953)
Disney's Spirit of Aloha
----------------------






The first 90 minutes of the show were a lame 'Hawaiian' band, the show itself and periods of awkward silence. The show could be described as a high school Hawaiian play. They brought out every corny move in the world...

Okay first 90 minutes over and I've been to a Luau where there have been no grass skirts, no fire dancers, no authentic costumes or songs. Check please!

I do have to agree with you on the first half of the show- it is pretty lame. The second half is definitely where it gets a lot better. That is where you will find your grass skirts, authentic costumes, and a great fire dancer. Would love it if they got rid of the first part and extended the second half of the show.

JimmyV 11-29-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper (Post 46817083)
1) I would have said "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".
2) But, that has become a true cult-classic.
3) But, I do agree with your Luau sentiments.
4) After doing Hawaiian and Fiji luaus, SoA does not come close
. . . in food
. . . in show
. . . in storyline

PS - I also agree with you about "My Mother the Car".

Jaws-The Revenge...This Time It's Personal
Joanie Loves Chachi
...and, yes. The SoA show is miserable. Honestly, I've been to 3 "real" luaus in Hawaii and even the best of those are tolerable at best with below average food. Disney's show falls well below even that low standard.

minnie mum 11-29-2012 11:24 PM

SOA has had the poorest reviews of any of the dinner shows at WDW practically from day 1.

I can only conclude that:

1. 99% of the guests are first timers.

b. 98% of the guests didn't do any research before making their ADR

iii. The other 1-2%- there's just no accounting for taste. ;)

D. Battlefield Earth definitely deserves to be in the running for worst movie ever.

mfd25wife 11-29-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper (Post 46817083)
1) I would have said "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".
2) But, that has become a true cult-classic.
3) But, I do agree with your Luau sentiments.
4) After doing Hawaiian and Fiji luaus, SoA does not come close
. . . in food
. . . in show
. . . in storyline

PS - I also agree with you about "My Mother the Car".

I thought it would be "Amazon Women from the Avocado Jungle of Death":rotfl2:

NicoleK1974 11-30-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunchak
Disney's Spirit of Aloha
----------------------

Notable lists of 'Worst Ever' include
Worst movie: Plan Nine From Outer Space
Worst tv show: My Mother the Car -
Worst theme park: New Jersey
Worst Lyrics: MacArthur Park
Spirit of Aloha deserves the title of worst Disney Show

I have been to Disneyland and DisneyWorld at least ten times (and twice on the Disney Cruise) and generally most shows and rides are very good. I can't remember any that I would give a below average rating. I've also been to Hawaii several times and been to a few Luaus and while the food isn't that great the shows are close to authentic and pretty good.

The Spirit of Aloha recommends you be there 45 mins before the show starts. This is for their convenience, not yours. You begin in your first of three queues. The first is to sign in and get your assigned seats, the second is the queue for the picture in front of their sign, and the third is a waiting area where there is a cash bar.

We were seated in Category 1 but at the table farthest from the stage. I asked the waiter if my 5 and 9 year old would be able to see and he enthusiastically said yes. I took his word for it even though there were 8 adults in front of them. When the show began I don't think they could see anything and they took no notice of it at all. Thankfully their young eyes were spared from the travesty that was about to begin.

The first 90 minutes of the show were a lame 'Hawaiian' band, the show itself and periods of awkward silence. The show could be described as a high school Hawaiian play. They brought out every corny move in the world.

*Lets have all the kids come up and dance

Five minutes later

*Lets have all the people with birthdays come up and dance

Five minutes later

*Lets have all the couples with anniversary a come up and dance

Then the show progressed with the 'adult' section I believe. The lead girl tore off her dress to reveal a bikini and the lead guy ripped off his shirt and said something like "check out these volcanoes!" while flexing his biceps

Then it ended with the Hawaii 5 0 theme song

Okay first 90 minutes over and I've been to a Luau where there have been no grass skirts, no fire dancers, no authentic costumes or songs. Check please!

We gave the waiter a generous tip (he was pretty good) and left as fast as we could. I knew beforehand that the last part of the show was the best but there was no way it could have gone from zero to a hundred. We salvaged the evening by watching the 9:30 fireworks on the beach of the Polynesian hotel which was very cool. If the last 30 mins of the show are so good why did they have to have 90 mins of pure crap beforehand?

The food was about what I expected. Bread and salad and then below average chicken, rice and ribs and then jello chocolate pudding formed into pyramids for dessert. It was actually better that I expected but still it was cafeteria food served to 500 people at once. Reviewers who say the food was exceptional are really out to lunch. How can you possibly feed that many people at once and have any type of quality. But it was still okay... we ate a lot of bread :)
If you must goto this show, try to show up late. There was a group that showed up an hour late next to us and they still received all the same food as us and were spared the first hour of the horror show.

Did you just eat there?
Or was this before they changed to the temporary menu a few weeks ago?
I'm hoping this menu changes back to the old menu as planned (was estimated as December 1st) since my allergies would prevent me from eating the "new" salad and dessert.

Bunless 11-30-2012 03:28 AM

I'm curious if it's worse than the show at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. Don't even get the opportunity to have a drink at that show...

davedmaine 11-30-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnie mum (Post 46819893)
SOA has had the poorest reviews of any of the dinner shows at WDW practically from day 1.

I can only conclude that:

1. 99% of the guests are first timers.

b. 98% of the guests didn't do any research before making their ADR

iii. The other 1-2%- there's just no accounting for taste. ;)

D. Battlefield Earth definitely deserves to be in the running for worst movie ever.


I don't understand what you mean by the 99% first-timers comment.

freshmanjs 11-30-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunchak (Post 46816953)
Worst theme park: New Jersey

what does that mean?

DisneyRunnerChick 11-30-2012 08:49 AM

After the first part, we were kind of put off as well, but we stuck around and it was well worth it. The second half is AMAZING, and we thought the food was good as well. I would love to see them vamp up the first part, but I'd still recommend this show; I like it way better than Backyard BBQ.

mickeysbestfriend 11-30-2012 08:57 AM

Although
 
I much preferred the original show they had when it opened and the food and drinks were much more authentic, I still enjoy the current show and the food is actually pretty good.

The first half of the show is a hokey 'high school musical' which definitely needs to be redone.

What rescues it for most people is the bottomless beer and wine but I wish they would go back to more traditional foods. They need it to be much more authentic to get repeat guests.

sephorachick 11-30-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunless (Post 46820401)
I'm curious if it's worse than the show at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. Don't even get the opportunity to have a drink at that show...

You cannot drink there because it is run by mormons BTW. I've been there too.

I wrote a review on Spirit aloha a month ago & agree WORST show ever! It was SOOOO disorganized & I hated the show WAYYYYYY too cheesy. They need to get rid of it & add something better.

River Country 11-30-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshmanjs (Post 46820978)
what does that mean?

I agree since i am from NJ

BTW I was at the SOA in 1988 and that was the last time

JimmyV 11-30-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunless (Post 46820401)
I'm curious if it's worse than the show at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. Don't even get the opportunity to have a drink at that show...

The show at the PCC in Oahu is one of the "better" Hawaiian luaus. In fact, many consider it to be the best, or, at least, most authentic. Which raises an unspoken truth. If one does not care for that style of show, then anything below that level will be intolerable, and the SoA show at WDW qualifies as such. Personally, I thought the show at the PCC was the second "best" of the three shows that I saw, and if that represents the upper echelon of luaus, then I am done with luas in any way, shape or form.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.