The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   September vs November Cruise - Advice (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027210)

kkbutterfly 11-29-2012 12:13 PM

September vs November Cruise - Advice

I want to go on a cruise next year for our anniversary (just 1 year, but I'm thinking this may become an annual thing!) but due to my work schedule, I can't take vacation in October (we got married Oct 1 and took a cruise that left Oct 4). I was hoping everyone here could give me some advice.

Our two options are: a Sept 22nd cruise followed by a few days at Disney, the Tower of Terror 10 miler (if available), and some F&W. OR a November 10 Cruise after the Wine and Dine Half, F&W, and then hopefully after the cruise, Mickey's Christmas Party. We've never been for Christmas together and I'm dying to go the Christmas party and see the Osbourne lights again!

My worries about September are that it's in hurricane season and my worries about November is that it will be too cold on Castaway Cay. I LOVED Castaway Cay on my honeymoon and would love to be able to do another day at the beach, in the beautiful blue water, reading a book.

What do all you experienced cruisers recommend? My dream would have been the DVC cruise but I just can't go in October at my current job. Thanks everyone in advance!

abbyar 11-29-2012 12:54 PM

I'd do November. If it's too cool, put q towel over you at the beach.

RedxPanda 11-29-2012 01:05 PM

I'd rather run in November than September. It statistically should be less stormy too, but we saw what happened this year.

oybolshoi 11-29-2012 01:34 PM

Hurricane Season doesn't officially end until November 30th, so while you're less likely to encounter a storm crusing at that time of year it's still not out of the realm of possibility.

Exepct the unexpected. :goodvibes

aliron682 11-29-2012 01:39 PM

We did both this year....well, we didn't cruise both times, but we went to the Tower of Terror 10 miler in Sept and then did a Thanksgiving cruise last week. For the ToT 10 miler we did a 4 day weekend trip and we got to go to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party too. For our Thanksgiving cruise we went a couple days early and attended Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.
I think if I had to choose, I would do the November cruise and run. The Tower of Terror run was VERY humid (even though they ran at night) and our only early October cruise (2008) had to be altered a bit because of a hurricane - we still had wonderful weather, we just couldn't go to St Thomas.
All of our November cruises have had beautiful weather. This last one was a little rockier than I have ever experienced, but the water temps at Castaway Cay were good...the kids swam all day. And St Thomas and San Juan were downright HOT.
Have a great time whichever one you choose.

sambycat 11-29-2012 04:35 PM

I'd rather do my run first, then relax :thumbsup2

Moxin 11-29-2012 05:42 PM

Having done 8 cruises in the months of Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Sept cruise.

Yes, a bit warmer, but the water at Castaway Cay will be perfect. We just did the Fantasy on Nov 3 and the water was danged cold.

Sept and Oct, while more risky with the storms, tends to be much better in terms of the temps.

DLW8 11-29-2012 06:14 PM

We have done 3 cruises: a 3 night the first week in December, a 7 night the last week in November and a 7 night the week of September 22 (this year).

The September cruise had the best weather by far. The November/December cruises were cool and breezy/windy with rain on more than one day. The water was cool at Castaway and with the breeze, we didn't spend much time in the water at all. We were entirely rained out in Cozumel (late November cruise) and had one day with total sunshine. In addition to the not so fabulous weather, we had rough seas on both cruises.

While I knew we were taking a chance in September, we had fantastic weather. Warm sun every single day, with just a pop up shower for about 10 - 15 minutes. The "worst" weather was around 4 PM on our Castaway Day where it rained pretty hard, but not for very long and we had just gotten back on the ship anyway.

The problems with the weather on the first 2 cruises were why we switched to September and it was worth the risk. Could we have hit a storm? Yes. But we decided to try a different season, and we wanted to see the ship & CC when they were NOT decorated for the holidays.

Gatrcruzer 11-29-2012 07:14 PM

We just went on a Nov. 11 cruise, and while the water at Castaway Cay was a bit chillier than I would have liked, I still could go in, even though I'm a Floridian :) For people from northern climates I'm sure it's even more acceptable. I would not want to run a race in September in Florida, and I don't like cruising in September because of the frequency of storms and hurricanes. Yes, you never know, there are no guarantees, etc. but the frequency is simply higher in September.

motroc 11-30-2012 04:15 PM

We sailed in mid November in 2010 and early November in 2011. Chose to do October in 2012 because it was the last St. Maarten itinerary until May 2013, and we ended up in a mosh pit someone named Sandy.

We're back to doing mid/late November in 2013 and will never sail during the peak of Hurricane Season (Aug/Sept/Oct) again, not knowing that DCL has no problem sailing its ships directly into hurricanes to make it back to port as scheduled.

Sometimes it's all about luck, but statistically speaking, September has more hurricanes than November. And the reason why it seems cooler at CC in November is because it gets blustery the first 2 weeks of the month throughout the Bahamas. The water is still fine, but when you get out, that's where the chill sets in a bit, especially if it's overcast.

kkbutterfly 12-03-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks all! I think we're going to do the November cruise as I want to run the Wine and Dine again (I did the W&D in 2011 and the weather was a dream and the TofT this year and wanted to die with the humidity). We also have never been to Disney for the Christmas events and I would really like to do Mickey's Christmas Party so I think that makes November the winner. My husband pointed out he would have appreciated if the weather was a bit cooler in October as sometimes it was too hot to be outside for too long and we can do an October cruise in a few years when our jobs settle.

Thanks everyone for their advice!

ratt1345 12-03-2012 12:22 PM

kkbutterfly, I think you are making a wise decision!!!!:thumbsup2 Yes, as stated hurricane season is officially over Nov 30. As a native Floridian, IMHO the unofficial season is over the early part of October, with the height of it around Sept 10. Yes I realize we just had a superstorm in October. Just so everyone understands, hurricanes can happen anytime of the year. They have formed in December and January.

kcashner 12-03-2012 01:28 PM

We LOVE September cruises--hot enough to enjoy but not horribly humid. Hurricanes can essentially happen at any time; yes, September is statistically more likely, but you don't care about statistics. You care about your cruise.

If there are other factors influencing your decision, go with them. Otherwise, September is my pick.