The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Malta cruise port hecklers (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027208)

clairedy6 11-29-2012 12:12 PM

Malta cruise port hecklers

Hi I have never been to malta before but I heard from a friend that when you get off the ship there are tons of taxi drivers trying to encourage you to go with them and that if you don't they get "offended". Has anyone ever experienced this before because I am worried as we don't want to take a taxi or feel uncomfortable about not doing so. Thanks.

jedijill 11-29-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairedy6 (Post 46815566)
Hi I have never been to malta before but I heard from a friend that when you get off the ship there are tons of taxi drivers trying to pursued you to go with them and that if you don't they get "offended". Has anyone ever experienced this before because I am worried as we don't want to take a taxi or feel uncomfortable about not doing so. Thanks.

I do not recall any heckling or being uncomfortable at all. I just walked up to town (it is a long uphill climb!) past the taxis.

Jill in CO

sissy_ib 11-29-2012 12:29 PM

What do you mean by "offended"? Did your friend say they felt threatened in anyway? Or were they just rude? Rude I can and do ignore.

kcashner 11-29-2012 12:30 PM

We had an amazing time in Malta, and did it all on foot. I never felt threatened, heckled, or uncomfortable in any way.

castawaycayfans 11-29-2012 12:33 PM

We were there in 2010, but did not experience this. We walked up the hill and caught the bus (1 or 2 euros roundtrip) into town, the guy we dealt with was very nice and made us feel very welcome. Malta was one of our favorite ports.

carpenta 11-29-2012 12:45 PM

Never experienced anything close to anything as you state. People were very nice in all our encounters. Malta was our favorite stop in 2010. Amazing island. Now Tunisia ( thank goodness they don't dock there anymore) was not very nice at all. VERY aggressive street vendors.

clairedy6 11-29-2012 12:57 PM

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, maybe my friend was mistaken

bibbidibobbidibecky 11-29-2012 02:25 PM

I only remember one guy in Malta and he was offering sea plane rides, but wasn't pushy at all. Now in Palermo, Sicily, it was awful.

TDC Nala 11-29-2012 03:06 PM

How "offended" could they get? I mean, to the point of getting in someone's face and actively harassing them? Or just being rude? Because rude should just be ignored.

Melcatfish 11-29-2012 06:09 PM

Malta was fabulous, Naples was worse but even then it was just annoying not scary. Nothing like as much as you get when you walk round Nassau (in my experience.)

Mel
x

carpenta 11-29-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcatfish (Post 46818232)
Malta was fabulous, Naples was worse but even then it was just annoying not scary. Nothing like as much as you get when you walk round Nassau (in my experience.)

Mel
x

Wait until the passengers disembark in Jamaica from Disney next year. :scared1::scared1: Talk about harrassment. Borders on scary. That is a definate on-board pool day IMO.:thumbsup2

GeneMachine 11-29-2012 08:21 PM

That is not the vibe in Malta at all. Palermo, yes, Naples, yes, but not Malta.

clairedy6 11-30-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneMachine (Post 46819072)
That is not the vibe in Malta at all. Palermo, yes, Naples, yes, but not Malta.

What is it like in Naples?

REM10134 11-30-2012 12:19 PM

Have never been to Malta, but many ports have a large group of taxi drivers and street vendors that greet the cruise ships. The most agressive that we've seen was in Antigua back in 2004. And we did end up using a taxi, with "Johnny Redshoes" as the driver. He was great, and had a good marketing gimmick. Especially since I still remember him.

carpenta 11-30-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairedy6 (Post 46822483)
What is it like in Naples?

In Naples the rules of the road DON'T apply. NEVER trust a red light to stop traffic and as we do in the west and cross in crosswalks and most autos stopping...doe not exist in Naples. It has been said that a driver had been beaten to death for stopping at a red light. The culture in Naples is boisterous but not intimidating IMO. But like any big city there are parts you don't want to stray too far.