The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Would you.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027167)

DbleTheFun 11-29-2012 10:34 AM

Would you....

Cancel coral reef in favor of Garden Grill? Its me, the 5yr old twins and my 12 yr old step son. We are doing LTT earlier in the week, and have 3 other character meals... So is it silly to consider Garden Grill as our last meal at WDW before departing next am?

The food will make everyone happy, and there's less waiting which is always a plus when traveling solo with 3 kids... But am I missing out by canceling Coral Reef!?

GoofySon'sMom 11-29-2012 10:39 AM

We really enjoyed the food at Garden Grill and thought Coral Reef was just Ok. The aquarium is very fun to watch but if you are not seated close it can be hard to see around everyone else. And it is very loud. My vote would be GG and to spend some time in the Seas pavilion checking out the aquarium.

TDC Nala 11-29-2012 10:47 AM

Unless you are really into the idea of eating in a room where there is a giant aquarium, you are not missing anything by choosing Garden Grill over Coral Reef.

You can see the aquarium outside the restaurant, if it's just the fish that interest you.

DbleTheFun 11-29-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Unless you are really into the idea of eating in a room where there is a giant aquarium, you are not missing anything by choosing Garden Grill over Coral Reef.

You can see the aquarium outside the restaurant, if it's just the fish that interest you.

Its actually the "chocolate wave" im most interested in! Haha!!

I think I'm just worried that I'm missing out by skipping Coral Reef again this trip.... The whole "eat in an aquarium" bit isnt that big a deal to me or the kids... I just thought the menu looked good, but I think at the end of the day, we'd all enjoy the food at GG the same or better.

I will just need to get my chocolate fix over in the World Showcase!

TDC Nala 11-29-2012 11:05 AM

Why are you thinking about switching to Garden Grill? For the characters, because the kids will like the food?

Personally I don't think it would be too off base for you to include one meal that is YOUR choice.

kris4360 11-29-2012 11:10 AM

I think LTT and GG are very similar. I would stick with CR.

JimmyV 11-29-2012 11:10 AM

This is really a matter of personal preference, but for me, 4 character meals would be too many. So while I would have no issue with cancelling Coral Reef, I am not sure that I would sub in Garden Grill. I would look elsewhere.

DbleTheFun 11-29-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyV
This is really a matter of personal preference, but for me, 4 character meals would be too many. So while I would have no issue with cancelling Coral Reef, I am not sure that I would sub in Garden Grill. I would look elsewhere.

Agreed, but despite visiting Disney more than 9 times before the boys turn 6 (living in another country on opposite coast) my kids still LOVE character meals. Hahaha... We dont do character meet/greets while in the park (unless we spot someone unique) and they still TRULY believe that the Characters are "real". We are at Chef Mickeys, Ohana Breakfast and H&V (strictly for the characters lol). If it were an adult only trip, or my kids were older, I wouldnt even be waffling, but considering most the kids meal options are similar, Im thinking they'll actually get MORE variety eating at LTT and GG the same week because of the variety of meats and veggies included, though I agree, my first worry was the meals are similar.

DbleTheFun 11-29-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Why are you thinking about switching to Garden Grill? For the characters, because the kids will like the food?

Personally I don't think it would be too off base for you to include one meal that is YOUR choice.

We are doing a Dream DCL cruise prior to park for the week, so I will get my spoiling for food then. I also love Teppan Edo and The Wave, which we are doing earlier in the week, So I'm definitely getting a few fav's of my own. Haha. The thing is- MY choice is being able to sit down with the three kids, and enjoy the meal.... No whining, no being bored, just 3 kids (and subsequently me) that are happy, smiling and creating magical memories. Whats on my plate is less important than the expressions on the kids' faces... It's why I keep going back.

MulanMom 11-29-2012 10:16 PM

We always enjoyed GG and I booked same for Candlelight Processional Package. Then I checked the food and saw they are making the fish differently. My kids really loved the breaded catfish. I got a bit concerned about whether or not they'd enjoy the meal and presented them with a choice.....CR or GG. CR won hands down. They claim they like the food better at CR! Kids are 13 and 15.