The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   All Star Sports or Music? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027131)

jsmla 11-29-2012 10:34 AM

All Star Sports or Music?
 
I'm planning a solo trip January 26-February 2 and have booked a standard room at All Star Music usung the AP discount. I usually stay at Pop Century on an on-site solo trip but Pop was pricier and I thought it would be fun to try the All Stars again. Movies doesn't appear to have rooms at the discounted rate but ASSp does.

I chose ASMu because, back when our daughter was competing in dance. Sports is where they always put us and the large groups were always REALLY LOUD! Now I've been reading that it's common to have large groups of teens at ASMu too, especially in January.

All of the standard rooms now seem to be booked at Music (even at rack rate) which has me kind of worried that it's going to be a madhouse!

Which would you choose-Music or Sports? I've stayed at all of the Values, including AoA, and am fine with any of them. I'm mainly concerned with price and avoiding (if at all possible) large under supervised groups of teens. I always chaperoned both of our kids' group activities so I do understand but still.......

Thanks!

HM 11-29-2012 11:58 AM

I've always loved ASMusic. It's my favorite Value resort. This summer we decided to try AS Sports for a change. We loved it. Got upgraded to a preferred room and had GREAT luck with the bus system. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at either place now.

princess124 11-29-2012 12:18 PM

I agree with PP. We stayed at ASMu in September-October when we went for the Epcot30 celebration. It was definitely busy, lots of kids everywhere, but honestly, we didn't hear a peep from our room. We made sure to hit the food court at off peak times (early AM, late PM) and never had an issue with the buses. We are headed back to ASMu in February, we were very happy with it. HTH! :goodvibes

bound4wdw 11-29-2012 12:25 PM

We've stayed at value resorts when they appear to be fully booked. And the only times it seemed not worth it is breakfast, late night snack, and getting back to the resorts on the buses if you close the park down. All other times you may not notice any difference.

jsmla 11-29-2012 12:29 PM

Thanks! I picked Music because I get enough of sports here at home!

I hesitate to mention this because I know it's a touchy subject but I've read several reviews complaining about large, loud groups of teens from South America taking over Music in January. The fact that it's sold out is making me nervous. Anyone have ant experience witht this? I have no problem with any nationality, just trying to avoid the huge groups of under supervised, rowdy kids I always experienced during our UCA/UDA competitions.

*~PrincessBelle~* 11-29-2012 03:40 PM

So funny! I just came to post a thread just like this one! Ive decided on a last minute trip for this weekend and im torn between the same two resorts...

bookgirl 11-29-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmla (Post 46814332)
I'm planning a solo trip January 26-February 2 and have booked a standard room at All Star Music usung the AP discount. I usually stay at Pop Century on an on-site solo trip but Pop was pricier and I thought it would be fun to try the All Stars again. Movies doesn't appear to have rooms at the discounted rate but ASSp does.

I chose ASMu because, back when our daughter was competing in dance. Sports is where they always put us and the large groups were always REALLY LOUD! Now I've been reading that it's common to have large groups of teens at ASMu too, especially in January.

All of the standard rooms now seem to be booked at Music (even at rack rate) which has me kind of worried that it's going to be a madhouse!

Which would you choose-Music or Sports? I've stayed at all of the Values, including AoA, and am fine with any of them. I'm mainly concerned with price and avoiding (if at all possible) large under supervised groups of teens. I always chaperoned both of our kids' group activities so I do understand but still.......

Thanks!

I've done ASMu twice. I like it. I also went for the "less groups, less kid appeal" reasoning. Last month it was fairly crowded but not crazy and the kids were all pretty well behaved, but then again they don't really bother me for the most part. The first time I was up by the main pool but in Jan so no noise problems (and there were large groups with yellow and green tshirts while I was there), this time I was further back and by the 'quiet' pool. Lots of activity but still no bother with noise. It does seem to be a little more compact than the other two, and really an easy walk even from the back. I'd stay there again.

I was at AoA at the begining of this trip (with POFQ inbetween). I'm not a huge fan of the gaudiness of or the massive amounts of people at POP or AoA, so if price was important I'd totally chose Music over them, if the choice was AoA or Sports, I might actually do AoA.

TXMalecifent 11-30-2012 03:00 PM

We are going to be at All Star Music 2/1 to 2/7/13.

Recently found out there is a dance team championship being held at ESPN & DHS the weekend of 2/2-2/3/13. I even went so far as to go to the dance association website to see what hotels they would be staying in. The registration paperwork for the teams says 'Disney All Star Resorts' for the Value price and Disney Caribbean Resort for the Moderate Price. So my guess it's the drill teams filling up the Values. I think it said all their paperwork was due by today 11/30/12.

We don't have kids, but we were trying to keep this trip as inexpensive as possible, so that's why we chose the Value of All Star Music. Hopefully, the dance teams won't get too out of hand.

jsmla 11-30-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMalecifent (Post 46823711)
We are going to be at All Star Music 2/1 to 2/7/13.

Recently found out there is a dance team championship being held at ESPN & DHS the weekend of 2/2-2/3/13. I even went so far as to go to the dance association website to see what hotels they would be staying in. The registration paperwork for the teams says 'Disney All Star Resorts' for the Value price and Disney Caribbean Resort for the Moderate Price. So my guess it's the drill teams filling up the Values. I think it said all their paperwork was due by today 11/30/12.

We don't have kids, but we were trying to keep this trip as inexpensive as possible, so that's why we chose the Value of All Star Music. Hopefully, the dance teams won't get too out of hand.

I just checked and that's the main one we used to attend:

http://www.uda.varsity.com/nationals.aspx

Unless something's changed the kids should be at WWoS during the day. It's a fairly big deal so they practice a lot in the off times. We mostly had problems in the food court and at night. DD graduated in 2006 and I've heard that Disney has cracked down on some of the more obnoxious behavior.

ETA: I decided to switch to Pop, the fact that Music is sold outi for the last week of January just has me concerned that it could be a large group of some sort.

princessmelinda 11-30-2012 04:32 PM

I've stayed at both! ASMusic once in '07 and ASSports '09, '10, and '11! I like sports because its the first stop for the buses! Other than they they are pretty much the same (I think anyway!) Either way you'll have a great vacation! Good luck in choosing! :yay:

lotus1197 12-01-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmelinda (Post 46824403)
I like sports because its the first stop for the buses

Agree with this statement, me and the wife stayed here in late August and this was the best part of the buses as we always got off and on first.In fact we got back a few days ago and we stayed @ Pop and honestly i think Sports is a better resort.That's just me though....

MPS4124 12-05-2012 03:49 PM

I have stayed at ASMu and ASSp during the UDA dance championships and am going this year and staying at ASMu. The competition is on Saturday and Sunday and at least with the teams my daughter is on, they have a pretty earlier curfew on Friday and Saturday nights. Most coaches do not want their teams running around the resorts. Of course there are always exceptions.
We had no problems with the buses and we always found room in the food court.

simonsayz 12-05-2012 04:00 PM

I just stayed at ASmusic last week for 1 full week and i think it's great. Wasn't crazy at all. Hope that helps


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.