The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Please explain tips at Remy/Palo (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3027103)

engle 11-29-2012 08:09 AM

Please explain tips at Remy/Palo

Okay, so I pay an upcharge to go here. Let's talk just about the food upcharge first....is that the tip too? I know when you close out at the end of the meal you can add an ADDITIONAL tip but is the tip already paid?

Now, if you order drinks at either place, a gratuity is charged. What about the wine pairing? Is there a gratuity on that too??

M4travels 11-29-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engle (Post 46813659)
Now, if you order drinks at either place, a gratuity is charged. What about the wine pairing? Is there a gratuity on that too??

yes

kcashner 11-29-2012 10:18 AM

DCL is their usual "clear as mud" on this. They state that the upcharge includes the gratuity, but on another part of the web state that "many guests choose to add additional gratuity." Not mutually exclusive statements, and both are accurate.

The wine pairing has a 15% automatic gratuity--the same as any other bar item purchased.

At the end of the meal, you will get a folder with a charge ticket inside. It will list your upcharge (or note that the Palo was comped due to platinum status), any bar purchases, and have a line for "additional gratuity" that you can fill in. Then you sign it. Totally easy. Obviously, you can choose to add cash if you wish, but the upcharge and bar items must be charged to the KTTW account.

wendyoconnor 11-29-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engle (Post 46813659)
Okay, so I pay an upcharge to go here. Let's talk just about the food upcharge first....is that the tip too? I know when you close out at the end of the meal you can add an ADDITIONAL tip but is the tip already paid?

The upcharge does not include any tips and tips are not automatically applied. The server will bring the slip at the end of your meal and you choose how much which is then charged to your KTTW.

asemaria 11-29-2012 12:14 PM

How much should I tip in Palo? I mean 20% of 20 dollars is just 4 dollars pp. What is "normal"? Yes, I know it's up to me, but since we don't really tip in Sweden, I am so confused and I don't want to offend anyone. Thank you

CarolAnnC 11-29-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asemaria (Post 46815575)
How much should I tip in Palo? I mean 20% of 20 dollars is just 4 dollars pp. What is "normal"? Yes, I know it's up to me, but since we don't really tip in Sweden, I am so confused and I don't want to offend anyone. Thank you

When we dine at Palo for dinner, we estimate what a fine dining establishment would charge for a similar meal. Then we figure 20% of that, assuming we are pleased with the service which we always have been.

So we normally leave a tip of around $30 or $40 (for two people).

kcashner 11-29-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyoconnor (Post 46814685)
The upcharge does not include any tips and tips are not automatically applied. The server will bring the slip at the end of your meal and you choose how much which is then charged to your KTTW.

According to the document book sent to us by DCL, on the page for tips it states that the Palo charge includes the gratuity. This has been the case since day 1.

How much to tip--as you stated, you'll get many opinions. I've read everything from $5 to $50 per person. I usually tip $10 per person above the surcharge. Our servers always seem to remember us and arrange to serve us again, so it must be ok.

sayhello 11-29-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyoconnor (Post 46814685)

That is incorrect. The upcharge definitely does include tips. The question is whether you feel it's enough of a tip or not, or if you want to add to that.

Sayhello

engle 11-29-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello (Post 46815750)
That is incorrect. The upcharge definitely does include tips. The question is whether you feel it's enough of a tip or not, or if you want to add to that.

Sayhello

THANKS!! That is what I thought but wanted to be sure. I mean, I usually am a big tipper as is DH but we didn't want to be ridiculous or the complete opposite!!

Namsupak 11-29-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asemaria (Post 46815575)

We estimate the cost of the meal and then apply a percentage. For example on Land we would estimate Palo to at least be a meal around $100-150 for two people. We estimate Remy to at least be in the $300+ range for two people.

disneywonderfun 11-29-2012 08:20 PM

I guess I simply disagree about what a real world charge would be for a Palo meal. A couple PPs indicated something around $50 to $100 per person and then base their tip on that amount. I have had meals all around this country and would be sorely disappointed if I were served the caliber of food at Palo and received a bill in the $50-$100 range per person (not including alcohol). Realistically, a Palo meal is something close to a slightly nicer than average chain Italian restaurant. Certainly, it is not even close to a $100 meal and probably should be valued around $30 or so. The draw we have for Palo is simply to have a quiet night out while the kids are playing at the clubs. It is certainly not for the food itself. So, you can decide for yourself what a reasonable tip would be. We generally do the $20 extra for two that someone else also posted. We have eaten at Palo up to 5 times on one cruise, and the staff seem pleased when they see us, so I assume that extra tip is "good". Oh, do not get me wrong, Palo is a step up from the MDRs. It is just not that upscale (or even remotely in the same ballpark at Remy)

DWF

sayhello 11-29-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneywonderfun (Post 46819068)
I guess I simply disagree about what a real world charge would be for a Palo meal. A couple PPs indicated something around $50 to $100 per person and then base their tip on that amount. I have had meals all around this country and would be sorely disappointed if I were served the caliber of food at Palo and received a bill in the $50-$100 range per person (not including alcohol). Realistically, a Palo meal is something close to a slightly nicer than average chain Italian restaurant. Certainly, it is not even close to a $100 meal and probably should be valued around $30 or so. The draw we have for Palo is simply to have a quiet night out while the kids are playing at the clubs. It is certainly not for the food itself. So, you can decide for yourself what a reasonable tip would be. We generally do the $20 extra for two that someone else also posted. We have eaten at Palo up to 5 times on one cruise, and the staff seem pleased when they see us, so I assume that extra tip is "good". Oh, do not get me wrong, Palo is a step up from the MDRs. It is just not that upscale (or even remotely in the same ballpark at Remy)

DWF

:thumbsup2 I so have to agree with this. I have had WAY better meals for $35. And I've eaten at some very nice restaurants for that $35.

For me, Palo is more about the experience than the food.

Sayhello

Namsupak 11-29-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

... Realistically, a Palo meal is something close to a slightly nicer than average chain Italian restaurant. Certainly, it is not even close to a $100 meal and probably should be valued around $30 or so. ...

$30pp? I was thinking more along these lines. Appetizer $10, Entree $30, Dessert $10, equalling around $50pp, soft drinks, teas, and coffees included as well. This would include tax of course as there isn't any extra tax on the ship. Also we tend to order extra things like an extra appetizer, dessert, or entree.

I do agree about Remy it is in a different tier.

We live in a small town so the only italian chain we have here is the Olive Garden and when we eat there it is around $30pp so Palo is definitely a good value for us.

darkwing818 11-29-2012 09:15 PM

We usually tip between $30 to $40 for DW & I. :)

ssnow32539 01-10-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

We generally do the $20 extra for two that someone else also posted.

DWF

We have eaten at Palo on more than one occassion and $20 for the two of us is what we usually tip as well. We have Remy booked for the first time on our March cruise and I have no idea what we'll tip for that. Maybe $30-$40? I always wondered who picks where servers work. It would definitely pay more to work at Remy's or Palo than in the regular dining rooms. You would think that all the servers would be clamoring to work in the upscale dining areas over other places.