The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Travelling with minor - not mine (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3026645)

SonicGuy 11-28-2012 12:03 AM

Travelling with minor - not mine

We are taking our14 year old niece on Dream in January.

Will we need any special documentation to take her?

Cruisin Castaway 11-28-2012 01:49 AM

You will need to have one of her parents or legal guardian fill out the minor authorization form. You can download this form from the online check in section of the DCL website. You will bring this completed form with you when you check in at the pier.

SonicGuy 11-28-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin Castaway
You will need to have one of her parents or legal guardian fill out the minor authorization form. You can download this form from the online check in section of the DCL website. You will bring this completed form with you when you check in at the pier.

That's is? That's sounds easy. Thanks.

neg58 11-28-2012 07:48 AM

You'll also need her other documents, either passport or certified birth certificate. Passport really is easiest. If you have it, everyone assumes you haven't stolen her. My brother took my daughter to Mexico and although I filled out a form and had it notarized, no one ever asked for anything but her passport. They do have the same last name, but my daughter is Chinese and my brother is not, so they do not look alike (nor does she look like me!).

Another brother took his own daughter to Mexico without a passport (old days) and there was nothing but trouble, from trying to get into Mexico to trying to return home.

Nancy

kamik86 11-28-2012 07:53 AM

The only other thing you may want is to get a form to allow you to make any emergency medical decisions for the child... just because you don't want to be far from home and unable to contact the parents when something goes wrong and she needs care.

penel3 11-28-2012 08:38 AM

It is my understanding that BOTH parents (legal guardians) have to consent. Or, if the niece has only one legal parent, that documentation also has to be with you to validate why there is only one signature. I started looking into this so we could take a friend for DS.

MinnesotaMouseketeers 11-28-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin Castaway (Post 46804490)

We did this when we brought a friend of our DS. Just bring all the documents found on-line, filled out completely and correctly, with proper signatures, and I thought we had it notarized (could be wrong that was four years ago). We had no problem at all.

And make sure well in advance that the friend has the CORRECT documentation for his ID, i.e. proper birth certificate or better yet passport. If they don't the parent/s have time to get it without the stress of the sail date approaching. The parents of our DS's friend went with the passport.

kcashner 11-28-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penel3 (Post 46805780)
It is my understanding that BOTH parents (legal guardians) have to consent. Or, if the niece has only one legal parent, that documentation also has to be with you to validate why there is only one signature. I started looking into this so we could take a friend for DS.

This was not the case when we took a minor. THe DCL form requires only ONE parent to sign. I made my life easy by insisting that each person on the cruise had a passport (even though it wasn't required). That way, I didn't have to deal with parents and what was a certified birth certificate.

I agree that it is a good idea to have a notarized letter authorizing you to make any emergency decisions for the child. It has limited legal standing, but may save you some time in an emergency.

jlemieu1 11-28-2012 01:41 PM

I'm going through this tomorrow with my two nieces for a cruise on the Dream:cool1: in the Walt Suite :thumbsup2. I was told by DCL all I need is the Minor Auth doc signed. Just in case I made sure both of them have passports. I was also told by my airline I don't need any documentation to get them on the plane because it is a domestic flight(MSP-MCO). They have passed the Secure Flight check because I have already got boarding pass printed for them.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

SonicGuy 11-28-2012 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the input. Just to muddy the waters a bit, her father passed away five years ago so is just my sister. Hopefully having just one parental signature won't be an issue.

jlemieu1 12-03-2012 10:32 AM

Here a report from my recent trip for traveling with 2 minors - not mine different parents.

- For the airpoirt: I didn't require any special permission documents other than a form of ID. In my case both girls had passports.

- For DCL: The two girls I brought had different parents. First I had both parents sign the DCL Minor Auth doc and passport. For the second girls all I had was a signature of one of the parents and passport. I got through the check in process with no issues.

- For Bahamas: Since both girls had passports all we need to get back on board was the RTWC and their passports with no issues.

Have fun on your trip.

Dizzyworld 12-03-2012 12:25 PM

Where did you find the DCL Minor Auth. doc?

Thanks.

goeva 12-03-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzyworld (Post 46843371)
Where did you find the DCL Minor Auth. doc?

Thanks.

Here you go.
Minor Authorization Form - If you are traveling with a child of whom you are not the parent or legal guardian, please complete and notarize this form. Bring the notarized form with you to the port terminal. DCL PDF Download
It is also listed on the *** DIS DCL FAQ - New Alphabetical Listing of DCL Information ***

Dizzyworld 12-03-2012 07:23 PM

Thanks. DCL said they don't have to be notorized anymore and one parent's signature was fine, but this would make me feel better. Also making sure I get a form for medical too. Just in case.