The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disneyland (California) (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   oops I forgot about Disneyland Park....... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3026456)

Meech Loves Mickey 11-27-2012 03:50 PM

oops I forgot about Disneyland Park.......
 
So I have been so busy trying to plan my RSR strategy for DCA, that I completely forgot there is a whole other park to see!!!:blush:

What are the rides that are a must see first thing in the morning? (As a WDW vet we don't neccessarily need to ride Dumbo, Tea Party or Winnie the POoh....)

I know that Nemo, HM, IASW and POTC are MUST SEES for us, but what is the one thing we need to get to early in the morning to make sure we are able to ride?

Thanks!

coaches24 11-27-2012 03:59 PM

Generally FL is first on most people lists at DL because they dont have FP in the FL rides. PP and the several other FL rides have long lines most of the day unless you get there first thing. A lot of other popular rides either have slow times or FP thus making it easier to ride

Meech Loves Mickey 11-27-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaches24 (Post 46800487)
Generally FL is first on most people lists at DL because they dont have FP in the FL rides. PP and the several other FL rides have long lines most of the day unless you get there first thing. A lot of other popular rides either have slow times or FP thus making it easier to ride

I am assuming that FL = Frontierland and PP = Peter Pan?

or does FL =Fantasyland?

Is Nemo very popular? How long is the wait normally?

Also, is there long wait for Mr Toad?

Flynn_Rider 11-27-2012 04:43 PM

Dumbo is still a long wait, so is Nemo and Matterhorn. I might hit those as I grab a Star Tours Fast Pass. Storybook Canals is another option due to its low rider capacity and slow load time. If you can hit up Fantadyland early nearly everything else will be easy with Fastpass

Girimama33 11-27-2012 04:44 PM

FL is for Fantasyland.
Nemo is a good first ride. It loads slow, so the wait will be long later on.
Matterhorn is another good one. Don't forget to check out Toontown.

DaveNinja 11-27-2012 05:14 PM

If you get in right at opening, hit Matterhorn first (if you want to ride as a group, if not save it for later and Single Rider line it) and then Nemo since they're close together and their lines get long pretty quickly. If you hit Nemo first, its kind of a long ride and the line for matterhorn could get long while you're riding. Save pirates, HM and Small World since they usually have pretty short lines up until lunch time on crowded days. If you want to ride the 20 second long Gadgets Go Coaster in toon town, try to do it early on (toon town opens later in the morning still, i think) since its a slow loader and the line gets long. Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Star Tours (and Indy if its open) all have fastpasses so they can be spaced out through the day

Huff 11-27-2012 05:14 PM

My must do's:

Worst Lines, run out of FP's quickly:
Space Mountain (FAR better than WDW's version, smooth, in car sound etc).
Indiana Jones (similar cars to Dino at WDW but far better with IJ theme).

Moderate lines:
Splash Mountain (inline seating instead of side by side, long lines when warm)
Matterhorn (Fun ride but bumpy. Not scary, somewhat slow moving)
Nemo (similar story and effects to Epcots Nemo ride but inside submarine).
Star Tours (Same as WDW version)

Short Lines:
Pooh (Fun but not as good as WDW's)
Mark Twain & Columbia ships
Pirates (FAR better than WDW, walk on but moderate on crowded days)

Since the 2 parks are right next door to each other get hopper passes. This allows you to maximize your days such as seeing Fantasmic or Fireworks on same day you've spent at DCA. 2 minute walk between parks!

dmband 11-28-2012 09:30 AM

Marking thread

Meech Loves Mickey 11-28-2012 11:03 AM

Neither of my kids are tall enough to ride the Matterhorn so we will be skipping that.

I think we will head to Nemo first and then to Fantasyland and ride as much as we can there, then head to Toon Town.

Or should we do Toon Town before Fantasyland?

Meech Loves Mickey 11-28-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huff (Post 46801140)
My must do's:

Worst Lines, run out of FP's quickly:
Space Mountain (FAR better than WDW's version, smooth, in car sound etc).
Indiana Jones (similar cars to Dino at WDW but far better with IJ theme).

Moderate lines:
Splash Mountain (inline seating instead of side by side, long lines when warm)
Matterhorn (Fun ride but bumpy. Not scary, somewhat slow moving)
Nemo (similar story and effects to Epcots Nemo ride but inside submarine).
Star Tours (Same as WDW version)

Short Lines:
Pooh (Fun but not as good as WDW's)
Mark Twain & Columbia ships
Pirates (FAR better than WDW, walk on but moderate on crowded days)

Since the 2 parks are right next door to each other get hopper passes. This allows you to maximize your days such as seeing Fantasmic or Fireworks on same day you've spent at DCA. 2 minute walk between parks!

This is good to know. I think we will grab FP for Space Mountain either before or after Nemo. I would like to ride Star Tours, but I won't be upset if we don't get to it.

Do HM and POTC both have FP? We would like to ride these multiple times if possible.....

ImDMous 11-28-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meech Loves Mickey (Post 46806461)
Neither of my kids are tall enough to ride the Matterhorn so we will be skipping that.

I think we will head to Nemo first and then to Fantasyland and ride as much as we can there, then head to Toon Town.

Or should we do Toon Town before Fantasyland?

Toon Town doesn't usually open until at least an hour after the park opening. I would definitely do FantasyLand first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meech Loves Mickey (Post 46806492)
This is good to know. I think we will grab FP for Space Mountain either before or after Nemo. I would like to ride Star Tours, but I won't be upset if we don't get to it.

Do HM and POTC both have FP? We would like to ride these multiple times if possible.....

HM does have FP, but it's not always used. It depends on crowd levels. POTC does not have FP but the line is usually less than half an hour, sometimes only 10 or 15 minutes.

Delilah1310 11-28-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meech Loves Mickey
Neither of my kids are tall enough to ride the Matterhorn so we will be skipping that.

I think we will head to Nemo first and then to Fantasyland and ride as much as we can there, then head to Toon Town.

Or should we do Toon Town before Fantasyland?

So if you have other things you want to do in the early morning arrival - such as other fantasyland rides - consider this :
The Nemo ride is slow loading - everyone literally has to climb down a narrow ladder into a sub
And the Nemo ride itself is long
Unloading is slow - everyone climbs back up that ladder.

This one ride alone could eat up a lot of time and take away any advantage you have by getting there early.

Just my two cents.

And although someone said Matterhorn is not scary, my 5yo would disagree - he was very upset by the way the yeti kept scaring him around each corner. Not crying, scarred for life upset ... But kept reminding us how he didn't like it for days afterward!

Meech Loves Mickey 11-28-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delilah1310 (Post 46806707)
So if you have other things you want to do in the early morning arrival - such as other fantasyland rides - consider this :
The Nemo ride is slow loading - everyone literally has to climb down a narrow ladder into a sub
And the Nemo ride itself is long
Unloading is slow - everyone climbs back up that ladder.

This one ride alone could eat up a lot of time and take away any advantage you have by getting there early.

Just my two cents.

And although someone said Matterhorn is not scary, my 5yo would disagree - he was very upset by the way the yeti kept scaring him around each corner. Not crying, scarred for life upset ... But kept reminding us how he didn't like it for days afterward!


Is the Nemo ride worth riding? I feel like this is a must see for us, as we have nothing like it at WDW.

What are the lines for Nemo like later in the morning? what about later in the afternoon?

furb & dez 11-28-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meech Loves Mickey (Post 46807670)
Is the Nemo ride worth riding? I feel like this is a must see for us, as we have nothing like it at WDW.

Here's how Nemo goes:
  1. Crawl slowly down into a claustrophobic ride vehicle.
  2. Wait for the whole sub to load; door closes and traps you in there for 15 minutes.
  3. While sitting on an extremely narrow plank of a seat, bend over at the waist and gaze through a small porthole for 15 minutes. If you're fat, or have a bad back, too bad for you. Enjoy your pain/anguish.
  4. Watch a video of Nemo swim around, while another character screams "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" every 2.3 seconds.
  5. Endure the screams (and continuing wimpering) from smaller children once you get to the anglerfish scene.
  6. Ride mercifully ends.
  7. Wait for the people who came into the sub after you to sloooooooowly get out of the sub.
  8. Escape the sub and vow never to do it again.
  9. Bonus for fat people/those with bad backs: pain for the rest of the day.

Meech Loves Mickey 11-28-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furb & dez (Post 46808082)
Here's how Nemo goes:
  1. Crawl slowly down into a claustrophobic ride vehicle.
  2. Wait for the whole sub to load; door closes and traps you in there for 15 minutes.
  3. While sitting on an extremely narrow plank of a seat, bend over at the waist and gaze through a small porthole for 15 minutes. If you're fat, or have a bad back, too bad for you. Enjoy your pain/anguish.
  4. Watch a video of Nemo swim around, while another character screams "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" "NEMO!" every 2.3 seconds.
  5. Endure the screams (and continuing wimpering) from smaller children once you get to the anglerfish scene.
  6. Ride mercifully ends.
  7. Wait for the people who came into the sub after you to sloooooooowly get out of the sub.
  8. Escape the sub and vow never to do it again.
  9. Bonus for fat people/those with bad backs: pain for the rest of the day.

You had me at claustrophobic! This does not sound like fun... maybe we will skip this and head straight to Fantasyland.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.