The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC-Mousecellaneous (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Significantly higher Police presence (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3026256)

OhioDVC 11-27-2012 09:12 AM

Significantly higher Police presence
 
I am down at Disneyworld from Nov 18th to the 30th. I've been riding my bike around to help burn off all the calories from Thanksgiving. I'm mostly riding through Old Key West, Saratoga Springs and the Campgrounds (split stay at the Treehouses and Wilderness Lodge Villas). I've never seen such a large police presence before (County Sheriff). Everyday I saw at least one County Sheriff patrolling OKW and on several days I saw two or third cars patrolling. I usually saw one at Saratoga Springs and the Campgrounds.

Is Disneyworld having an unusually higher volume of crime?:confused3

I asked one of the Sheriff's deputies why the higher presence and he politely and professionally asked me to move along.

I've seen police before at Disney, but never like the volume of this trip and significantly higher then last Thanksgiving's trip.

Simba's Mom 11-27-2012 10:28 AM

It's not necessarily crime, it may be about important political figures being around. I was at BCV at the end of October, and while talking with a transportation CM, he was telling me about some upcoming political visitors (was it Romney, Romney's wife, Dick Cheney-I really don't remember if they were upcoming or recent). And he told me about what a pain it is that when they travel, sometimes roads have to be closed, monorails stopped, etc. So that could account for the increased police prescence.

BEASLYBOO 11-27-2012 10:52 AM

I was at OKW (#3424) the week of Thanksgiving and I can't say that I saw any police presence there. I booked golf for two of my guests and drove them to T-off at SSR twice and while they were golfing we ate and visited the resort, no police there either.

Who knows? Maybe you are in the midst of VIP's travelling incommunicado!

dianeschlicht 11-27-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simba's Mom (Post 46798176)
It's not necessarily crime, it may be about important political figures being around. I was at BCV at the end of October, and while talking with a transportation CM, he was telling me about some upcoming political visitors (was it Romney, Romney's wife, Dick Cheney-I really don't remember if they were upcoming or recent). And he told me about what a pain it is that when they travel, sometimes roads have to be closed, monorails stopped, etc. So that could account for the increased police prescence.

Yes, and I do remember that Jimmy Carter is a member at OKW and has been there several times in the past. I'm quite sure that is more the reason than anything else. We'll see if it continues after we arrive. I'll report back next week.

OrangeCountyCommuter 11-27-2012 02:22 PM

It's the end of the month...

Speeding ticket quotas to make. (Just kidding, but they do get a lot of tourists who are clueless flying through there!)

disneynutz 11-27-2012 04:39 PM

Could be several reasons.

Holidays tend to bring out more criminals targeting vacationers.

Traffic enforcement.

Scanning license plates for wants and warrants.

Possible threat, Monorail was searched last week by a security dog.

You never noticed their presence before.

:earsboy: Bill

Sammie 11-27-2012 06:11 PM

Crime is committed on a daily basis at Disney World, especially the resorts. It just never makes the news.

Plus WDW has been on the terrorist hit list for years.

bobbiwoz 11-27-2012 07:50 PM

I wish I could remember when in recent times we saw police practically at every intersection one evening. It was this year and I'm talking about around OKW, BWV and Port Orleans areas.

dvcterry 11-27-2012 08:08 PM

The time I remember was last summer. It was so hot and I always froze bottles of water in our freezer to carry around. They were everywhere, resort, especially the parks and bag check areas. But I remembered them being around because I always got stuck lugging everyone's water bottles and a sharpie to relabel in case the name got smudged. Since that time haven't seen so many.

rescuetink 11-27-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simba's Mom (Post 46798176)
It's not necessarily crime, it may be about important political figures being around. I was at BCV at the end of October, and while talking with a transportation CM, he was telling me about some upcoming political visitors (was it Romney, Romney's wife, Dick Cheney-I really don't remember if they were upcoming or recent). And he told me about what a pain it is that when they travel, sometimes roads have to be closed, monorails stopped, etc. So that could account for the increased police prescence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianeschlicht (Post 46798384)
Yes, and I do remember that Jimmy Carter is a member at OKW and has been there several times in the past. I'm quite sure that is more the reason than anything else. We'll see if it continues after we arrive. I'll report back next week.

I have just as much right to be in WDW as any politician!! And I would be PISSED :furious: if my vacation were messed up because some politician were there and they had to accommodate for them!! They can visit WDW like me, or they can stay home!!

And I don't think Jimmy Carter has secret service security any more!!!

spiceycat 11-27-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 46800149)
It's the end of the month...

Speeding ticket quotas to make. (Just kidding, but they do get a lot of tourists who are clueless flying through there!)

especially since it is Kissimmee and Orlando police who give out tickets - but if it trouble then Orange Lake county sheriff has to come.

both kissimmee and Orlando police have refused to come to traffic problems - wreck - just about anything.

so if the Orange Lake county is there to give out tickets - then great - they deserved the money because they do all the work.

lots of time the people who are speeding are disney employees....

OrangeCountyCommuter 11-28-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rescuetink (Post 46802927)
I have just as much right to be in WDW as any politician!! And I would be PISSED :furious: if my vacation were messed up because some politician were there and they had to accommodate for them!! They can visit WDW like me, or they can stay home!!

And I don't think Jimmy Carter has secret service security any more!!!

Yes he still has Secret Service. Former Presidents and First Ladies get protection until death.

The Carter's fly commerical out of Atlanta a lot. You can tell they are around by the men in suits with little earpieces talking to thier lapels.... AKA the "Secret Service" (Mr Carter is very gracious when you speak to him in the airport)

But... this is prime "theft' season. Seems like every year some hysterical person posts on message boards that they stuffed thier car FULL of Christmas presents, left it in a Disney parking lot and someone broke into it... there's no pixie dust and the tourists are easy marks because they do stupid stuff thinking "pixie dust" LOL!

And some of the speeders are guests. I was in line with a man during Food and Wine who was ranting and raving because he got a speeding ticket and he didn't think Disney should let cops patrol thier "private roads" It was all I could do not to giggle out loud!

Simba's Mom 11-28-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rescuetink (Post 46802927)
I have just as much right to be in WDW as any politician!! And I would be PISSED :furious: if my vacation were messed up because some politician were there and they had to accommodate for them!! They can visit WDW like me, or they can stay home!!

And I don't think Jimmy Carter has secret service security any more!!!

Yes, I can really see your point. It IS pretty aggravating how everything stops for the politicians. The CM was telling me how, when ?[some politician} was staying at the GF and took the monorail, not only did they have to shut down the monorail to everyone else, they had to block the roads under the monorail from any traffic, something about security. And what's even worse is that they can't tell the guests why the monorail is shut down or why the roads are blocked, so a lot of people get really upset.
When I was leaving DHS in October, waiting for the boat to YC/BC. we had to wait because after the boat emptied the police and a sniffer dog went thru the boat. I'd never seen that before and kind of wondered whether it was just a routine thing that I'd never seen before, or if the police had been tipped off to something. This was during the F&W festival, and several people in line made comments about all the "partying"-types they'd seen.

Poohs Pal 11-28-2012 09:09 AM

Our group was at WDW from October 15th-November 9th. I noticed a lot more than usual walking security over in the Boardwalk area. I commented on this to DD and she said she hadn't't noticed:confused3. Susan

Senor_Jorge 11-28-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 46805484)
Yes he still has Secret Service. Former Presidents and First Ladies get protection until death.

Actually President Clinton will be the last President to receive Secret Service protection for life. Legislation was passed in '97, I think, limiting protection for his successors to 10 years.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.