The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Camping at Disney World (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pop up camping for Christmas week (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025957)

arthuruscg 11-26-2012 01:58 PM

Pop up camping for Christmas week
 
Well, This is my first time posting here, so I am going to do a little into.

Going up my parents had various pumper pull travel trailers and we visited the Fort at lot due to Great Grand Parents living in the Tamp area. The wife and I about 1 month ago purchased a Colman Taos for camping with our 2 year old. It will be pulled behind a 08 Subaru Outback.
So, lightweight is the name of the game. For this trip, I think I will pull the propane tank off, and take an electric skillet or the green Coleman stove and 1lb bottle. The popup doesn't have a gas furnace and I bought a electric heater. I do want to add the heat strip to the Mach3 AC.

We are going to visit with my Aunt living in the Tampa area for Christmas and stop by the Fort for a few days during the return trip home. I managed to so far to get 1 day Dec26-27 at the Fort and I am hoping to add the 28th as well.

TOGA 11-26-2012 02:01 PM

Sounds good. Have a great trip!

arthuruscg 11-26-2012 02:24 PM

Also, we will be driving down starting on Dec21 when the wife gets off work (teacher). I am hoping to make it to between Fayetteville and the NC/VA border before we stop for the night. Do you have any campground suggestions?
Since it is a popup, it kind of limits the random pullovers.

bama_ed 11-26-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthuruscg (Post 46791082)
Well, This is my first time posting here, so I am going to do a little into.

Going up my parents had various pumper pull travel trailers and we visited the Fort at lot due to Great Grand Parents living in the Tamp area. The wife and I about 1 month ago purchased a Colman Taos for camping with our 2 year old. It will be pulled behind a 08 Subaru Outback.
So, lightweight is the name of the game. For this trip, I think I will pull the propane tank off, and take an electric skillet or the green Coleman stove and 1lb bottle. The popup doesn't have a gas furnace and I bought a electric heater. I do want to add the heat strip to the Mach3 AC.

We are going to visit with my Aunt living in the Tampa area for Christmas and stop by the Fort for a few days during the return trip home. I managed to so far to get 1 day Dec26-27 at the Fort and I am hoping to add the 28th as well.

:welcome: arthuruscg to the DIS Camping Board!

I'm a fellow popup owner. It sounds like you are considering the right things about keeping your weights down. I hope you have looked at your Outback's towing capacity versus the trailer weight (loaded).

Keep calling/looking daily to get the days you want to add (even into one week before arrival when the room-only reservation window for no-penalty cancellations closes).

Finally, a suggestion for your overnight stop questions. You might want to edit the title of your thread to add "Looking for overnight stop in NC/VA" to help those who don't read popup threads (I don't read all threads) know what other info you need. Hit the edit button of your initial post then "Go Advanced" to be able to edit the title.

Good luck and I hope you get into the Fort.

Bama ED

Disney Bunny 11-26-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthuruscg (Post 46791280)
Also, we will be driving down starting on Dec21 when the wife gets off work (teacher). I am hoping to make it to between Fayetteville and the NC/VA border before we stop for the night. Do you have any campground suggestions?
Since it is a popup, it kind of limits the random pullovers.

Enfield NC KOA is at milepost 154 in NC (about 26 miles from the NC/VA state line). We have stayed here a couple of times. It's a good stopover campground.

We have also stayed at the Smithfield/Raleigh SE KOA at Four Oaks NC. The Enfield and Smithfield KOAs are easy on/off to the interstate. We can recommend both of these KOAs.

There s a 3rd KOA at Fayetteville (Wade) NC. Don't know anything about that one.

arthuruscg 11-27-2012 10:09 AM

6290lbs GCWR- 3500 Lbs (approximate curb weight) - 1750lbs (Taos max weight) - 400 (2 adults+ 1 child) = 640lbs remaining capacity. Which I am sure my wife will use up.

Outback max Payload 1085lbs - 200lbs (max tongue weight) - 400 lbs (2 adults+ 1 child) = 485 remaining payload capacity

This is just using the publish weights, I want to find a weight scale one day and find out the actual weights. The Taos is one of the few trailers that I would feel comfortable pulling. Just for those looking to get a popup the 2002 + Colman trailers come with electric brakes standard.

KristinU 11-30-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney Bunny (Post 46794019)
Enfield NC KOA is at milepost 154 in NC (about 26 miles from the NC/VA state line). We have stayed here a couple of times. It's a good stopover campground.

We have also stayed at the Smithfield/Raleigh SE KOA at Four Oaks NC. The Enfield and Smithfield KOAs are easy on/off to the interstate. We can recommend both of these KOAs.

There s a 3rd KOA at Fayetteville (Wade) NC. Don't know anything about that one.

We've stayed at both the Smithfield/Raleigh KOA and the Fayetteville KOA - I can recommend both. Easy on and easy off and both have pull-through sites, which we always get when en route so we don't have to unhitch (though, do you need to unhitch with your PUP and Subaru to pop-up? Our previous camper was an Aframe pop-up, so we kept that hitched as well...not sure on your clearance with your bunks) Anyway, you'll be fine at either of these KOAs...or if you're still feeling fresh you could go down further to Point South KOA in SC, also good and easy access. Lots of options! Have a great trip!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.