The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Amazon Prime...worth it? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025590)

lemondog 11-25-2012 04:59 PM

Amazon Prime...worth it?
 
We are getting our oldest DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She is more willing to read on a tablet than a book, and she definitely needs motivation to read. We also like the parental control features vs. the iPad, especially the part where we can limit how much she "plays" on it yet still maintain unlimited reading time.

To get to my question, I see that with Amazon Prime there are over 180,000 books you can "rent" for free, like a library. Have you found there to be a decent selection of juvenile/young adult titles to choose from. Our local library DOES offer ebooks to check out and in fact I check them out all the time to the Kindle app on my iPad. Would this be redundant??? Also, I do order from Amazon from time to time so the free expedited shipping would be nice. Just wondering if you think Amazon Prime is a worthwhile expenditure? Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks.

luvmy3 11-25-2012 05:12 PM

I have Amazon Prime and for me it is totally worth it. I shop Amazon frequently so the savings on shipping is the reason. I don't know if I'd spend the money on Prime if it was just for borrowing books or streaming videos. It would really depend on how often I do that. I have a Kindle, and rarely borrow books from Amazon, I either download free ones, or borrow from my local library.

tinkerbellandeeyor 11-25-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmy3 (Post 46785012)
I have Amazon Prime and for me it is totally worth it. I shop Amazon frequently so the savings on shipping is the reason. I don't know if I'd spend the money on Prime if it was just for borrowing books or streaming videos. It would really depend on how often I do that. I have a Kindle, and rarely borrow books from Amazon, I either download free ones, or borrow from my local library.

That last part got my attention how does the last part of your statement work and how expensive is it I read a lot

luvmy3 11-25-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor (Post 46785045)
That last part got my attention how does the last part of your statement work and how expensive is it I read a lot

Amazon has a ton of free books to download so every couple days I just check the top 100. I also subscribe to Pixel Of Ink (on FB) because publishers will release a book for free for a limited time and they keep you updated.
I can borrow ebooks from my local library, but the most popular usually have a waitlist. I honestly don't know how much I spend on books, but if I take how many I have read compared to how many I've paid real money for its a very small amount.

Soldier's*Sweeties 11-25-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemondog
We are getting our oldest DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She is more willing to read on a tablet than a book, and she definitely needs motivation to read. We also like the parental control features vs. the iPad, especially the part where we can limit how much she "plays" on it yet still maintain unlimited reading time.

To get to my question, I see that with Amazon Prime there are over 180,000 books you can "rent" for free, like a library. Have you found there to be a decent selection of juvenile/young adult titles to choose from. Our local library DOES offer ebooks to check out and in fact I check them out all the time to the Kindle app on my iPad. Would this be redundant??? Also, I do order from Amazon from time to time so the free expedited shipping would be nice. Just wondering if you think Amazon Prime is a worthwhile expenditure? Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks.

I have Prime and it is worth it to me.

I have an Amazon visa and I do a lot of shopping through the site. I use it for the lending library and streaming videos as well!

tinkerbellandeeyor 11-25-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmy3 (Post 46785103)
Amazon has a ton of free books to download so every couple days I just check the top 100. I also subscribe to Pixel Of Ink (on FB) because publishers will release a book for free for a limited time and they keep you updated.
I can borrow ebooks from my local library, but the most popular usually have a waitlist. I honestly don't know how much I spend on books, but if I take how many I have read compared to how many I've paid real money for its a very small amount.

Thank you

mr.bungle 11-25-2012 05:55 PM

I order a lot off Amazon and Prime is totally worth it for me. I haven't used the instant video a whole bunch, though.

xipotec 11-25-2012 05:58 PM

As a 4 year subscriber , its a big yes. One large box, or one last minute gift will likely covet half the cost.

The first year i got it my first shipping cost would have been 24 dollars!!!

mmouse37 11-25-2012 05:59 PM

I just ordered the Kindle Paperwhite last night and decided to sign up for Prime...I order a lot from Amazon so hoping the savings on shipping will be worth it.

Would like to try the streaming stuff but have not tried it yet.

MJ

DeluxePrincess 11-25-2012 06:25 PM

I do a good majority of my shopping on Amazon so it has been totally worth it for me.

Albort 11-25-2012 06:31 PM

It depends on how much you buy though. Now that amazon charges tax in California, i dont think its worth it anymore. it might be easier/better if you find like 4 ppl and share an account.

csp131 11-25-2012 11:20 PM

Not so sure about the books part, but I'd highly recommend Amazon Prime. It comes in handy, especially when the whole family can use it to buy things online with free 2-day shipping.

Also I should mention that amazon prime members can get video games the day they come out in the mail if they pre-order them.

sissy_ib 11-25-2012 11:27 PM

We have Prime and love it. It make shopping so much easier. We also order many things that you cant just run to the store and buy. For example I bought my husband two books for Christmas that I never would have found here in town (or it would have taken a lot of searching). We pretty much only use it for the free two day shipping.
We always cost compare in stores as well. I have the Amazon app on my phone so I can just scan a bar code and see if Amazon has it and what they are selling it for.

clh2 11-25-2012 11:35 PM

If you are buying kindle prime "just" for the lending library - just be aware that there is a limit of 1 book per month.

We have "prime" but use it primarily for the shipping benefits.

DD has a kindle ( but since she is in college - she hasn't read anything "fun") so we haven't used the lending library. I've heard the the lending library books will only download to kindles. I do my e-reading on an ipad.

S. C. 11-25-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissy_ib (Post 46787647)
We have Prime and love it. It make shopping so much easier. We also order many things that you cant just run to the store and buy. For example I bought my husband two books for Christmas that I never would have found here in town (or it would have taken a lot of searching). We pretty much only use it for the free two day shipping.
We always cost compare in stores as well. I have the Amazon app on my phone so I can just scan a bar code and see if Amazon has it and what they are selling it for

That sounds like something I would use. Where would I find the app at on Amazon? I'm new to all of this kind of stuff. Never had internet on my phone in the past as I never felt the need for it. The plan I have now does have internet.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.