The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Tipping at All-Inclusive in Mexico (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025526)

gate_pourri 11-25-2012 01:33 PM

Tipping at All-Inclusive in Mexico

I leave next week for 6 nights in Mexico for a friends wedding. I lived in Europe for 4 years and travel to Europe/Asia multiple times a year, but haven't been to Mexico since I was a young teen and don't know the tipping etiquette. If it helps, I tend to over-tip while traveling, especially in "under-developed" areas.

So... for those who have been to Mexico recently... I assume I can tip in USD, right? If I go to the pool bar, is it OK to tip 1USD for every drink? What about at restaurants? In the room? Etc.? Besides 2 day excursions, the rest of the days will be at the hotel.

Right now, for the 6 nights, I'm planning on bringing 60USD in 1s and 40USD in 5s for tipping. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

wdwmom2 11-25-2012 02:03 PM

Typically, all-inclusives are a no tipping establishment.

Now, for excursions, I would probably tip. At least that is what I have done in the past. For me, the amount would depend on the excursion. Our last excursion was in St Martin. It was outstanding!!! I think DH tipped our operator $20 total. More than we would normally tip. But he was worth every penny:thumbsup2

ETA: USD are prefectly fine!!!

jiminyC_fan 11-25-2012 02:45 PM

We go to MX every year. Yes, they say that tipping is included but we ALWAYS, always tip the staff. They work hard for their money and make approx four dollars a day. A tip goes a L O N G way. We tip the bar staff, the wait staff, bellman and maids. We tip USD. Some say only tip pesos. We have made a very good friend in MX and he states that USD is just fine. Just make sure the bills are not torn and also not written on.

Wall-E1 11-25-2012 03:24 PM

Yes, tipping is appropriate, and American money is okay. I also tend to over tip in under developed areas. When we were in Mexico at an all inclusive, we tipped everybody - front desk, cleaning staff, restaurant staff; etc.

shoney 11-25-2012 06:37 PM

We've been to Mexican AI's quite a bit...

$2 per bag to the bell hop at checkin

$4 to $5 to housekeeping in the morning
$2 housekeeping in the evening for turn-down

$2 for breakfast buffet
$4 - $5 for lunch
$5 to $10 for dinner

$1 per round of drinks

$2 for room service

$1 in the mini fridge

We have also encountered others who were deserving of a tip. We have never had anything but excellent service from wonderful people.

Give whatever you are comfortable with and have a great time!

jiminyC_fan 11-25-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoney (Post 46786058)
We've been to Mexican AI's quite a bit...

$2 per bag to the bell hop at checkin

$4 to $5 to housekeeping in the morning
$2 housekeeping in the evening for turn-down

$2 for breakfast buffet
$4 - $5 for lunch
$5 to $10 for dinner

$1 per round of drinks

$2 for room service

$1 in the mini fridge

We have also encountered others who were deserving of a tip. We have never had anything but excellent service from wonderful people.

Give whatever you are comfortable with and have a great time!

That's pretty much the amounts we tip as well. Shhhh, we tip our favorite waiter at our favorite resort $40 and make him keep it himself. They are suppose to pool their tips. He takes such good care of us that he deserves it. We are now personal friends that stay in contact weekly. We've even had dinner at his house a couple of times with his family. What a grand experience.

wdwmom2 11-25-2012 07:49 PM

Wow, these answers have taken my off guard!!! I guess it has been a while since I have been at an all-inclusive. Back then, everything I read or was told was that there was no tipping!!

But, this is good to know. Just in case we do another all-inclusive. Right now we love to cruise. And yes, we do tip there!!!

Minerva Mouse 11-25-2012 08:03 PM

I went to an all inclusive once in Jamaica. Tipping was absolutely forbidden. Staff had even told me, that if there were caught accepting tips that they would be FIRED. I guess it doesn't hurt to take some tip money, but if the establishment doesn't allow it, you will have to find a way to be sneaky about it! :thumbsup2

shoney 11-25-2012 08:07 PM

Some resort chains, such as Sandals, forbid tipping.

I don't think there are any in Mexico that do.

All of the literature will state "tips included". In reality they might be, but they are certainly accepted and deserved. There will be people that won't tip and others that do. For us, the service is so wonderful that we want to tip.