The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The DIS Unplugged Podcast (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   If they kept the Cinnamon Buns at the main street bakery would people still go? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024985)

EastYorkDisneyFan 11-23-2012 11:58 PM

If they kept the Cinnamon Buns at the main street bakery would people still go?
 
If they kept the Cinnamon Buns at the bakery would it change your opinion of Starbucks going in

fall08CP 11-24-2012 12:19 AM

I don't eat cinnamon buns (food allergies) but Main Street Bakery was my go-to for allergy treats- gluten free, dairy free, and vegan options were readily available. I'm not fond of any chain in the parks, but I'd be sorely disappointed if these treats weren't available somewhere equally accessible.

Although I appreciate Starbucks having soy milk while most Disney coffee stops don't, I still won't step foot inside. My vacation is about experiences I can't get at home! To me it's an ethical issue, not one of convenience.

*NikkiBell* 11-24-2012 08:37 AM

I honestly don't think this has much to do with the cinnamon buns or at least it doesn't for me. In my opinion, the Main Street Bakery is a tradition representing old-time America. My issue with the change is that it is now going to be a commercialized vendor from 2012 - one I can visit anytime when not on vacation. I rather not see that when I am supposed to be immersed in another era. The cinnamon buns and other baked goods are a bonus as they are wonderful treats that fit with the theme of an old-fashioned bakery.

BayouMickey 11-24-2012 09:31 AM

On the other hand, I see my nescafe maker everyday in my kitchen, what it all boils down to is people hate change. I have no doubt in my mind Disney is going to work their magic and make it look theme appropriate.
I just don't get why people hate before they see.

OKW Lover 11-24-2012 09:36 AM

Once upon a time (10+ years ago) there were wonderful cinnamon rolls at the MSB. Then they changed to the more generic, corporate cinnamon roll. Its just not the same but that boat sailed a long time ago.

jcb 11-24-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKW Lover (Post 46776384)
Once upon a time (10+ years ago) there were wonderful cinnamon rolls at the MSB. Then they changed to the more generic, corporate cinnamon roll. Its just not the same but that boat sailed a long time ago.

If we talked about net negative changes over the last 10 years, I could speak volumes on several subjects, not just on cinnamon rolls. Lights of Winter, the Yeti, Mr Toad, the vacuum of space in future world near the energy pavilion. What mystifies me is why Disney changes the popular attractions and leaves the snoozers, such as Ellen's entropy adventure, and the "great" movie ride. I know sponsor choice has some influence but Disney seems to cave to the almighty sponsor $$$$ very easily.

Still, I keep going to the parks, and whine when I don't get to go.


Quote:

Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* (Post 46776044)
I honestly don't think this has much to do with the cinnamon buns or at least it doesn't for me. In my opinion, the Main Street Bakery is a tradition representing old-time America. My issue with the change is that it is now going to be a commercialized vendor from 2012 - one I can visit anytime when not on vacation. I rather not see that when I am supposed to be immersed in another era. The cinnamon buns and other baked goods are a bonus as they are wonderful treats that fit with the theme of an old-fashioned bakery.

I guess this is where my perspective prevents me from appreciating the hue and cry. I have never thought going to WDW was supposed to immerse me in another era. If I want history, I can go to DC, or Virginia, or Europe.

k5jmh 11-24-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb (Post 46776465)
.
I guess this is where my perspective prevents me from appreciating the hue and cry. I have never thought going to WDW was supposed to immerse me in another era. If I want history, I can go to DC, or Virginia, or Europe.

This!! :thumbsup2

GAN 11-24-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb

I guess this is where my perspective prevents me from appreciating the hue and cry. I have never thought going to WDW was supposed to immerse me in another era. If I want history, I can go to DC, or Virginia, or Europe.

I can see where people take issue with the introduction of Starbucks, given that the idea is to create a mood back to the early 20th century on Main Street USA. I would say that's a fairly good size lack of continuity. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I've probably bought a coffee once over the course of hundreds of visits and stopped there for a cookie only occasionally. But if WDW hasn't immersed you into another era/environment at some point -you should probably ask for your money back.

jcb 11-24-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAN (Post 46778042)
I can see where people take issue with the introduction of Starbucks, given that the idea is to create a mood back to the early 20th century on Main Street USA. I would say that's a fairly good size lack of continuity.

Starbucks means a lack of continuity more so than Edy's Ice Cream, Coca Cola, or Kodak? Nestle didn't introduce Nescafé coffee until 1938 (and they haven't brewed a new pot ever since).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAN (Post 46778042)
But if WDW hasn't immersed you into another era/environment at some point -you should probably ask for your money back.

I'm not sure what this adds to the conversation.

Now, to be honest, Disney's marketing/PR strategy for this announcement seems have been by the same folks who pretended to market John Carter. But that is a different story altogether.

SkaGoat 11-25-2012 08:14 PM

I would say both Kodak & Coca-Cola fit in just fine with a turn of the century main street. Kodak started in 1889, and Coca-Cola in 1886. If all they do is add Starbucks to what is there now, who cares? The ice cream cookie is available literally next door, and the cinnamon buns are still available in MK. Maybe the problem is MSB has never been a huge part of my family's visits.

We seem to forget MSB has been renoed in the last 10 years.

And the argument of "I want an experience I can't get at home" is hogwash, I would bet that almost everyone lives in a community that has a small family run bakery, that serves pastries and deserts that are better than MSB, it's just not in the MK.

dansyr2514 11-25-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *NikkiBell*
I honestly don't think this has much to do with the cinnamon buns or at least it doesn't for me. In my opinion, the Main Street Bakery is a tradition representing old-time America. My issue with the change is that it is now going to be a commercialized vendor from 2012 - one I can visit anytime when not on vacation. I rather not see that when I am supposed to be immersed in another era. The cinnamon buns and other baked goods are a bonus as they are wonderful treats that fit with the theme of an old-fashioned bakery.

I couldn't have said it better!

dansyr2514 11-25-2012 09:58 PM

"I guess this is where my perspective prevents me from appreciating the hue and cry. I have never thought going to WDW was supposed to immerse me in another era. If I want history, I can go to DC, or Virginia, or Europe."

To me, that is the whole idea of wdw. To immerse you in another time, place or fantasy... To be able to step away from reality.

FireDancer 11-26-2012 01:01 AM

Main Street has had a lack of continuity since, well, it was built. If selling a product that wasn't available at the turn of the century is a problem for Starbucks it is a problem for everything sold in the Emporium that says Walt Disney World on it since Walt Disney World didn't come along until 70 years later.

They also better get rid of the computerized cash registers and put cocaine back in the Coca-Cola too.

If we want non-commercialized vendors while at WDW they also need to get rid of Dole products, Coca-Cola products, all prepackaged foods, and everything else that is made by a large corporation.

GAN 11-26-2012 03:55 PM

[QUOTE="jcb"]
Starbucks means a lack of continuity more so than Edy's Ice Cream, Coca Cola, or Kodak?

Yes.

Edy's 1928, Coca Cola and Kodak pre-date 1900. Starbucks represents a chain of stores - the others do not( to my knowledge) unless you count Fotomat, which sold Kodak film. I think that's why some are having such a hard time "swallowing" it.

sayhello 11-26-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb (Post 46776465)
If we talked about net negative changes over the last 10 years, I could speak volumes on several subjects, not just on cinnamon rolls. Lights of Winter, the Yeti, Mr Toad, the vacuum of space in future world near the energy pavilion. What mystifies me is why Disney changes the popular attractions and leaves the snoozers, such as Ellen's entropy adventure, and the "great" movie ride. I know sponsor choice has some influence but Disney seems to cave to the almighty sponsor $$$$ very easily.

Still, I keep going to the parks, and whine when I don't get to go.

Hey! Those are 2 of my favorite rides!!! :mad:

Sayhello


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.