The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Remy: Dinner for two > $400.00 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024784)

pjacobi 11-23-2012 11:56 AM

Remy: Dinner for two > $400.00

My understanding is that Remy is $75.00 cover with optional $99.00 wine pairing. If a couple goes for the complete experience that will result in a bill of $348.00. With tip the charge would be around $400.00 - $420.00! Thatís a bit scary for one meal.

After being raised in a large family where every penny counts, I feel guilty indulging in conspicuous consumption. Maybe I wonít feel so bad after all the wine!

-Paul

leahmichl 11-23-2012 11:58 AM

So skip the wine pairing. I thought it was a wonderful special treat, and worth the cost we paid. We chose to skip the wine and didn't regret it or feel like we missed out.

SunshineCruiser 11-23-2012 12:21 PM

Wow, I have been reading about Remy, but I had no idea it was that expensive. I couldn't imagine justifying that price. The waiters must be rich if they are getting that kind of tip for every meal they serve with the wine package.

:scratchin They really need a smiley face handing over a pile of cash to add to your posts on here.

sambycat 11-23-2012 12:26 PM

For a similar land based experience, it would be more than that even! You can minimize costs by not doing the pairing but that is my favorite part! Clearly not everyone would feel this is worth the cost or justifiable budget wise, if its uncomfortable, just say no!:goodvibes

Momma2Jax 11-23-2012 01:03 PM

Wow... There Is just no way I would ever consider paying that for a meal! Yikes! But to each his own, I guess! :)

sissy_ib 11-23-2012 01:24 PM

That is about what we paid at V&A. It was worth every penny and I'm sure Remy is as well.

iamadisneynut 11-23-2012 01:42 PM

Is my math off? Remy for two people (before tip) with wine pairing would be $250 or so not $350??

gilsan 11-23-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamadisneynut (Post 46771725)
Is my math off? Remy for two people (before tip) with wine pairing would be $250 or so not $350??

I believe the wine pairing is $99/person.

kcashner 11-23-2012 01:54 PM

Victoria and Albert starts at $125 per person for dinner, $185 with wine pairing and that includes no tip.

Remy is $75 per person (? as to whether the upcharge includes the tip; DCL can be confusing on this point), wine pairing is $99 + mandatory 15% gratuity which places you at the same $185 per person. The difference is that you have at least a portion of the tip included in that.

Wine pairing is $99 PER PERSON, so math in above post is off.

Tips....on the one hand, if you choose to afford Remy, you should be able to afford a tip. On the other hand, I have a tendency to play "get real." $30 wine tip + how much extra + how much included in the $75 for 3 hours of work?

The meal is totally enjoyable without the wine. Or save money by choosing a single bottle rather than the pairing.

NancyIL 11-23-2012 02:00 PM

Save even more by skipping Remy!

TDC Nala 11-23-2012 02:04 PM

Skip the wine package, and if you want wine, buy yourself a bottle, they do have some at a reasonable price. And if you are determined to go this way, don't let them talk you out of it.

I've done Remy dinner twice, it's worth the money if you like that kind of experience. I would rather have that than a cabana on Castaway Cay but maybe that is just me.

lorenni 11-23-2012 02:50 PM

We've done multi course fine dining meals a number of times and we never get the wine/drink pairing anymore. One or two drinks works out great. With the full pairing, I find I go from comfortably full to uncomfortable long before the end of the meal.

If you get a glass of something you won't miss out (they'll have great suggestions that will pair with multiple courses) and you'll limit the expense.

wiigirl 11-23-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyIL (Post 46771824)
Save even more by skipping Remy!

Wow...never eaten there....is it worth it?

NancyIL 11-23-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiigirl (Post 46772098)
Wow...never eaten there....is it worth it?

I have never eaten at Remy. I am willing to spend $20 for dinner or brunch at Palo, but not $75 for dinner at Remy. I also wouldn't pay $125 to eat at Victoria & Albert at WDW.

oybolshoi 11-23-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDC Nala (Post 46771842)
Skip the wine package, and if you want wine, buy yourself a bottle, they do have some at a reasonable price. And if you are determined to go this way, don't let them talk you out of it.

I've done Remy dinner twice, it's worth the money if you like that kind of experience. I would rather have that than a cabana on Castaway Cay but maybe that is just me.

Same here .... we'd never pay hundreds of dollars to rent a cabana on a beach but we will pay it for a fine dining experience.

I think Remy is an amazing value for the price - but we don't do the wine pairings because we just don't think the price is justfiable; much happier ordering a bottle of something to share for less money than the cost of two wine pairings.

Like others have said ... to each his own. Just because someone spends money on something another person wouldn't doesn't make it wrong. :thumbsup2