The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Thinking of booking for Christmas... 2013. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024643)

ArcticCat 11-22-2012 08:39 PM

Thinking of booking for Christmas... 2013.

The holidays for us is in that transition mode. My mom passed away 3 years ago, my wifes mother is doing well. We spent Thanksgiving her at home, with no invites from any of our siblings. They all have there families and seem to be happy spending it with just them.

We are a little sad, but understand, we are now in that transition stage, time to make our own traditions. With that said, we talked about it and decided, why not a Disney World Christmas?

So, I think I'll start planning a trip for the week of Christmas 2013. So, when do/can we lock in our hotel for that week? Ho Ho Ho

mommytocalliesue 11-22-2012 10:20 PM

I'm so sorry about spending Thanksgiving at home...but you're right...it's time to start your traditions...and why not do it at Disney!!!

We are thinking of going next year day after Thanksgiving. You can book now if you'd like!! I would book....but can't decide on a hotel yet...I'm between 3!!!!

Happy Planning!!

letsgoreds 11-23-2012 07:31 AM

My mom took us to WDW the year after my father passed. It didn't become a tradition, but was an awesome, awesome time. I do everything to avoid the crowds...but wasn't stessed by them during the trip. Disney does crowds well...and everyone seemed to be in a great mood.

Have fun! Go for it! Great way to turn a negative into a positive!

serene56 11-23-2012 07:33 AM

just be aware that christmas week is the number one most crowded week out of the entire year.

we are going the second week. getting sll the holiday flair without the crowd.

rebelbuddhist 11-23-2012 08:07 AM

Know how you feel

My wife and I were in a similar situation four years ago but with grown children who live in four different states from California to Massachusetts! Each got offended if we spent Christmas with another. So, we told them all we were going to WDW and, if they want, they can join us. None have yet. Unfortunately we can't go this Christmas because of recovering from surgeries, but are planning our Dec 21-31, 2013 trip. Yes, the crowds are large but that's part of the fun if you plan and are prepared in advance that some things will take a while. Also, EMHs give you lots of time at the parks. Rather than going back to hotel for a break, we book a leisurely late lunch/early dinner at a nice table restaurant and spend a few hours sitting, eating, and relaxing. We actually spent almost 3 hours at a table on the porch at Tony's in MK and watched the afternoon parade from there. I think the trick to a Christmas vacation at WDW is to stay flexible, plan but know some plans may not work, and enjoy what you do and see rather than complain about what you don't do.

Missytara 11-23-2012 01:19 PM

Also consider doing the parks and cruise package. There is nothing better than cruising together over the holidays.

Do not feel guilty at all. Take a break for yourselves.

AlohaAnnie 11-23-2012 02:22 PM

We did this last year for Christmas 2011, just a lot of family drama & we wanted to leave that behind. It was crowded but we went in with a plan and had a wonderful Christmas. We did candlelight processional on Christmas Eve. It was great. The most fun & family time I have ever had. Just the 4 of us!

Go for it!!

sharadoc 11-24-2012 10:22 AM

I have no siblings and our holidays have always been just us. There's nothing "negative" about that, we love spending time on special days with our family and making our own memories. But we do always spend time during the day with my parents.

Well, my mother passed last month. This year, the holidays are pretty empty-feeling of course, but we are doing our best to help my father get through it. That's the negative about holidays. Suddenly someone is missing, that's hard. Otherwise spending time with your immediate family is very much a "positive".

We've decided that we will spend next Thanksgiving at Disney. The kids are off from school this whole week and we absolutely love the holidays at Disney World. We will stay into the next week when the crowds die down so we will have time to do everything we want.

You can lock in hotels now, obviously there aren't any discounts available for that time of year but you can price the whole thing out now on the Disney website. There's probably already room categories sold out. You have to wait until 11 months out to get any DVC properties, even on a cash basis through Disney.

dis_guy 11-24-2012 11:26 AM

We love Disney at Christmas, and have gone 3 times during Christmas week. If you can do it, go earlier in December and it won't be nearly as crowded.

In 2009 we arrived on the 20th and stayed for 10 days.

The first few days were wonderful with a generally jolly mood and everyone seemed relaxed and glad just to be there. However, starting on the 24th, it seemed like another "world" altogether. More parents being grouchy (we drove half way across the country and we'd better have fun), kids showing stress cracks (an older kid melting down in line for Lion King because her Coke was gone). I suspect these were families arriving after long, exhausting drives.

After the 25th most people there seemed kind of desperate to get onto any ride that didn't have 60+ minute lines. Get up early and get to the parks for opening, go back to the resort during the most crowded times and use a touring plan of some kind. Just know going in what it will be like and you'll be OK.

If you can manage it, the week after Christmas is much less crowded after about January 2 or so, but it can be a bit depressing to see the decorations slowly disappearing and the weather can be cold-ish then too.

Have fun planning! :)

Desnik 11-24-2012 04:39 PM

We are going to WDW this year. We will be there from the 21-28. As DVC members we can book our rooms a year in advance. I booked our rooms (we are staying at AKV & SSR) about 5 months before. I also just booked one night at AoA about a month ago. So things are still available with only a short timeframe but I think you can book a year in advance.

We go to WDW often so we will only go to the parks 2 days. We have other things planned like DtD, resort hopping, nice dinners, a lot of down time, sleigh ride at FW, archery lessons at FW. We plan to just go with the flow knowing there will be a ton of people there.

Here's a link to my pre-trip report if anyone is interested:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3000668

OP, we also are starting our own traditions with just our kids. We have dealt with too much family drama over the years and have had enough of it.