The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A brunette Cinderella on Broadway! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024517)

geenerbell 11-22-2012 08:50 AM

A brunette Cinderella on Broadway!

I couldn't believe my eyes. The debut of Cinderella on Broadway during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. She's a brunette! What?:upsidedow

Mousemommy1 11-22-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geenerbell (Post 46766239)
I couldn't believe my eyes. The debut of Cinderella on Broadway during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. She's a brunette! What?:upsidedow

It is based on the Rodgers & Hammerstein Cinderella circa 1965 starring Lesley Ann Warren (a brunette) as Cinderella.

I grew up being exposed to a lot of Broadway musicals and this is a great version of the Cinderella story. This past summer, my girls saw that version too and LOVED it and loved seeing it in the parade today. :goodvibes

Robo 11-22-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 (Post 46766351)
It is based on the Rodgers & Hammerstein Cinderella circa 1965 starring Lesley Ann Warren (a brunette) as Cinderella.

You are correct about the Leslie Ann Warren version,
but the Rodgers & Hammerstein "Cinderella" was actually first written
especially for Julie Andrews in a TV presentation in 1957.

At that time, it became the single most-watched TV show in history!

(It's interesting to note that both Julie Andrews and Lesley Ann Warren also have a major connection to Disney musical films.)

Julie Andrews was presented at a darker-haired Cinderella, as well.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...lla-JulieA.jpg

yooperfan 11-22-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 (Post 46766351)

I grew up being exposed to a lot of Broadway musicals and this is a great version of the Cinderella story. This past summer, my girls saw that version too and LOVED it and loved seeing it in the parade today. :goodvibes

I LOVE that movie. It was on at Thanksgiving time every year when I was a kid.

geenerbell 11-22-2012 10:17 AM

My Cinderella is Walt's Cinderella! To each their own.

Mom_Rides 11-22-2012 10:18 AM

That explains it! We were watching and thought what the sam heck is with the brunette?

acebatonfan 11-22-2012 11:16 AM

Don't kill me for this, but I originally thought the Fairy Godmother was one of the ugly stepsisters... especially with that hideous dress. :upsidedow

But I do admit it's nice seeing something different.

mom2rtk 11-22-2012 11:28 AM

We saw a traveling company of the Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella last year with a brunette Cinderella. It did take some getting used to. But I grew up with the Leslie Ann Warren version so got over it quickly. I used to think the blonde Disney version was an imposter!

Tinkerbell1013 11-22-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acebatonfan
Don't kill me for this, but I originally thought the Fairy Godmother was one of the ugly stepsisters... especially with that hideous dress. :upsidedow

We thought it was an ugly step-sister, too! Oops!

siskaren 11-22-2012 11:31 AM

And just to make things more confusing, Disney produced a TV version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella starring Brandy. ;)

luvallprincesses 11-22-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siskaren
And just to make things more confusing, Disney produced a TV version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella starring Brandy. ;)

And Whitney Houston as the fairy godmother! DD11 has always loved that version and was thrilled to hear that song this morning!

geenerbell 11-22-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acebatonfan (Post 46766940)

Ditto! Oh well!:yo-yo:

DisneyCowgirl 11-22-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acebatonfan (Post 46766940)

Oh my! I was watching from the kitchen and I also thought that was a stepsister!

monorailmom 11-22-2012 06:08 PM

I actually liked the Fairy Godmother's dress! Yes, it was definitely different, but that's what makes it interesting!

And we do still love the Brandy version of Cinderella... :)

snykymom 11-22-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robo (Post 46766377)
You are correct about the Leslie Ann Warren version,
but the Rodgers & Hammerstein "Cinderella" was actually first written
especially for Julie Andrews in a TV presentation in 1957.

At that time, it became the single most-watched TV show in history!

(It's interesting to note that both Julie Andrews and Lesley Ann Warren also have a major connection to Disney musical films.)

Julie Andrews was presented at a darker-haired Cinderella, as well.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...lla-JulieA.jpg

It also has the distinction of being the first musical comedy written specifically for television, rather than being an adaptation of a play or movie.

ETA: Julie's Prince was played by Jon Cypher, later of Hill Street Blues fame.