The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Why is BLT more expensive in resale price per point? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024406)

Discomom703 11-21-2012 09:15 PM

Why is BLT more expensive in resale price per point?
 
I'm truly new to DVC- just finally closed and waiting for points to transfer. I'm wondering why Bay Lake Tower is more pricey than the other resorts? but yet their maintenance fees are lowest??? Is it because of its contemporary design and location? more demand?? Need more education please....

bhodonne 11-21-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discomom703
I'm truly new to DVC- just finally closed and waiting for points to transfer. I'm wondering why Bay Lake Tower is more pricey than the other resorts? but yet their maintenance fees are lowest??? Is it because of its contemporary design and location? more demand?? Need more education please....

It's one of the newer properties which the contract expires later than others. Also the tower footprint is less costly to maintain than some of the sprawling properties. Landscape etc.

Deb & Bill 11-21-2012 09:49 PM

It takes more points for a single night than other villas, so a lot of points to divide the cost up. If it only took 8 points per night to book a studio versus 15 points a night, dues would go up - less points sold in total.

tjkraz 11-21-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhodonne (Post 46764032)
Also the tower footprint is less costly to maintain than some of the sprawling properties. Landscape etc.

Common misconception. There may be some savings but the bulk of the dues variance is what Deb & Bill refers to. Higher nightly point costs across the board means you're spreading the operating costs (dues) over more points. That results in the perception of lower dues.

Compare a One Bedroom villa in Dream Season between Bay Lake (theme park view) and BoardWalk (BW view.)

The BLT room costs 47 points for the night. With dues of $4.22 per point, your out of pocket cost for the one night (dues alone) is $198.34.

The BoardWalk room is only 35 points but dues are higher at $5.62. Total OOP is $196.70--a little cheaper than the BLT room.

That's just one example I chose randomly but if you look at other resorts and dates you will see similar patterns. Yes the BLT dues are lower but since you must spend more points for every night, you're still paying about the same dues $$$.

disneynutz 11-22-2012 12:14 AM

IMO the dues were started artificially low to attract sales, the same issue existed at Aulani.

BLT saw a 8% dues increase in 2012 when Disney replaced the executive in charge of the DVC and it is well known that the furnishings aren't holding up well. The cost to maintain the resort and replace the furnishings will be paid for by the owners just like any timeshare.

:earsboy: Bill

Disneypapa 11-22-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discomom703 (Post 46763999)
I'm truly new to DVC- just finally closed and waiting for points to transfer. I'm wondering why Bay Lake Tower is more pricey than the other resorts? but yet their maintenance fees are lowest??? Is it because of its contemporary design and location? more demand?? Need more education please....

resale price per point: location, location. location ;)

tjkraz 11-22-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneypapa (Post 46766456)
resale price per point: location, location. location ;)

Cute cliche but not really applicable here.

AKV is not within walking distance of any park yet from BoardWalk you can walk or take a boat to two parks. Still, AKV sells for more than BWV.

SSR goes for about $5-10 more than OKW. Resorts are a mile apart.

BLT typically sells for at least $20 more than VWL. Again, nearly same location.

BWV and BCV are across the lake from each other yet $20 price difference.

Location may influence personal preference but other factors like resort size and contract duration play much bigger roles in resale pricing.

fmer55 11-24-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkraz (Post 46766491)
Cute cliche but not really applicable here.

AKV is not within walking distance of any park yet from BoardWalk you can walk or take a boat to two parks. Still, AKV sells for more than BWV.

SSR goes for about $5-10 more than OKW. Resorts are a mile apart.

BLT typically sells for at least $20 more than VWL. Again, nearly same location.

BWV and BCV are across the lake from each other yet $20 price difference.

Location may influence personal preference but other factors like resort size and contract duration play much bigger roles in resale pricing.

your argument completely lacks the time value/size of each property. Put AKV/BWV on the same expiration and sae amount of rooms and BWV sells for $20 more a point.

fmer55 11-24-2012 02:34 AM

BLT is simply put the most attractive property on site hands down. Hence the price difference.:rolleyes:

tjkraz 11-24-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmer55 (Post 46775127)
your argument completely lacks the time value/size of each property.

Actually if you re-read my post, that was exactly my point.

Dean 11-24-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmer55 (Post 46775130)
BLT is simply put the most attractive property on site hands down. Hence the price difference.:rolleyes:

BLT's higher prices are a combo of factors. It's newer, it's still in active sales, it's near the monorail, sells for more retail, there are less resales available, people paid more, a higher % have a mortgage and the dues are lower. There may be others we can come up with as well. I would agree with Bill that the dues will not remain as large a difference as they were initially but they should continue to be favorable. As for attractive, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd venture that BLT has had far more people say that they didn't like the resort rooms than any other resort.

crisi 11-24-2012 09:29 AM

While resorts are actively selling, their resale price tends to be higher.

1) Disney is more likely to ROFR a currently selling resort - you aren't going to get a bargain

2) Owners who paid $100 a point a year or two ago generally can't afford to let their interest go at $60 a point - they have loans to pay off or want to get their money back.

3) People looking at resales find it easier to compare "direct" pricing with currently selling resorts.

With the exception of BCV, pretty much all resorts take a nosedive in pricing once the resort is no longer selling (it takes a few months), but pretty much all of them have held close to their value during active sales (although VAKL had issues due to the economy and timing).

Want a deal on BLT - wait two or three more years.

When we bought BWV in 2002 for $63 a point, we really wanted the "just now selling out" VWL - but BWV was $63 a point and VWL was $80. Had we waited six months, there would have been parity. Then for the next several years, VWL was cheaper than BWV.

montrealdisneylovers 11-24-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisi (Post 46776332)
Want a deal on BLT - wait two or three more years.

I really hope you are right because we are going to want more BLT points in the future!!! I certainly hope to get a much better price on them than the ones we bought 2 years ago!!!

Dean 11-24-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers (Post 46777259)
I really hope you are right because we are going to want more BLT points in the future!!! I certainly hope to get a much better price on them than the ones we bought 2 years ago!!!

The price will come down some but likely never to the point of other current resorts.

crisi 11-24-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 46777838)
The price will come down some but likely never to the point of other current resorts.

I agree, you won't see SSR pricing on BLT points, but in a few years, you should see prices more in line with BCV - with a premium due to the extra years.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.