The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Starring Rolls Cafe - Tip (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024081)

Forensicmom 11-20-2012 10:56 PM

Starring Rolls Cafe - Tip
 
We just go back from our trip and while it's fresh in my mind I wanted to pass along something I learned.


After researching and asking many questions on this and a few other sites, I picked the Starring Rolls Cafe as our QS lunch.

The food was REALLY good, BUT..... If you are on the dining plan, it is really confusing. They have nothing posted as to what you can order on the plan. They didn't have the children' menu listed and I didn't see it until we were ready to pay. The only offered a PB&J sandwich package. My daughter won't eat that so I tried to substitute something else and they wouldn't let me. I finally got a bagel wit cream cheese and had to use a snack credit, so that meant she didn't get dessert like the rest of us. There were a few other confusing things about it and we had no idea what we got charged for.

SO, if you're on the DDP, you can get a sandwich (which is not listed anywhere) and 1 dessert from the main cabinet. Everything else is either a snack credit or you have to pay extra for it.

TDC Nala 11-21-2012 07:30 AM

It should also be noted about Starring Rolls that they do not prepare the sandwiches in-house. They are brought in from elsewhere. So if you want them customized (like no mayonnaise which is what I was trying to get), they can't provide that.

It has been mentioned here before that the only option for a children's menu (this is very relevant if you are on the dining plan) is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich package. I do not know how they handle allergies. I know they can't handle allergies regarding the sandwiches, because they can't alter the sandwiches.

goofyintoronto 11-21-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forensicmom (Post 46757472)
My daughter won't eat that so I tried to substitute something else and they wouldn't let me. I finally got a bagel wit cream cheese and had to use a snack credit, so that meant she didn't get dessert like the rest of us.

She could have gotten dessert, you'd just have to use a snack credit or pay extra for it. I dont see the big deal here. Or you could have even shared your dessert. Since your DD didnt like the kids meal offered there, it makes sense for you to have to pay for the items she liked separately. Or, you could have grabbed something somewhere else.

Happyjen27 11-21-2012 07:54 AM

Does anyone know how they do handle peanut allergies here. From the barely palatable foods at DHS, this was my best option, but DS has peanut allergy.

While, of course, I can pay OOP for his meal, I'd much rather have a DDP meal for him.

TDC Nala 11-21-2012 07:57 AM

The only children's option is the peanut butter sandwich. As noted I have not heard if they will substitute anything for that meal in the event of allergies. I am assuming you would like to get the child something from the regular menu.

Becky0216 11-21-2012 08:13 AM

When I was there last year I was able to get my kids both a box snack pack for their lunch. I think it had a string cheese, pack of fishies, juice box, fruit and something else. That's what they got while we enjoyed the sandwiches. Do they not do this anymore or is the main issue that the dessert does not come with it?

Jennny 11-21-2012 09:41 AM

When we were there in 2011 we were all able to get the sandwiches, chips and dessert (my kids were 4 and 6) as there was no differentiation between adult and child menu choices....has that since changed?

Jen

TDC Nala 11-21-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennny (Post 46759549)
When we were there in 2011 we were all able to get the sandwiches, chips and dessert (my kids were 4 and 6) as there was no differentiation between adult and child menu choices....has that since changed?

Jen

There is a child's menu, and Disney's dining plan literature says children must order from the child's menu where one exists.

On the Restaurant board, it's the policy to stick to that rule.

Forensicmom 11-21-2012 11:07 AM

Yes, my youngest DD is considered a child and was told she had to order from that menu, which was ONLY the PB&J. They would not substitute anything else.

Goofyintoronto - It is a little more difficult to just go somewhere else when you have lunch with 4 kids in a very crowded and confusing place. Plus we had 4 more adults with us so we couldn't just go somewhere else. We did have to use two snack credits for their lunch but we shouldn't have had to.

All I was saying is that it was really confusing to order because nothing was posted.

NHDisneyKid 11-21-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky0216 (Post 46758873)
When I was there last year I was able to get my kids both a box snack pack for their lunch. I think it had a string cheese, pack of fishies, juice box, fruit and something else. That's what they got while we enjoyed the sandwiches. Do they not do this anymore or is the main issue that the dessert does not come with it?

They still had this available last month when we were there. I bought it for my son's lunch one day and it was perfect for him. I was paying OOP though, so can't comment on whether it can be purchased using a dining plan credit.

AlohaAnnie 11-21-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forensicmom
We just go back from our trip and while it's fresh in my mind I wanted to pass along something I learned.

After researching and asking many questions on this and a few other sites, I picked the Starring Rolls Cafe as our QS lunch.

The food was REALLY good, BUT..... If you are on the dining plan, it is really confusing. They have nothing posted as to what you can order on the plan. They didn't have the children' menu listed and I didn't see it until we were ready to pay. The only offered a PB&J sandwich package. My daughter won't eat that so I tried to substitute something else and they wouldn't let me. I finally got a bagel wit cream cheese and had to use a snack credit, so that meant she didn't get dessert like the rest of us. There were a few other confusing things about it and we had no idea what we got charged for.

SO, if you're on the DDP, you can get a sandwich (which is not listed anywhere) and 1 dessert from the main cabinet. Everything else is either a snack credit or you have to pay extra for it.

Thanks for the Tip, Mama! ;)

DisneyLvr55 11-21-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofyintoronto (Post 46758697)
She could have gotten dessert, you'd just have to use a snack credit or pay extra for it. I dont see the big deal here. Or you could have even shared your dessert. Since your DD didnt like the kids meal offered there, it makes sense for you to have to pay for the items she liked separately. Or, you could have grabbed something somewhere else.

I disagree - This is something Disney needs to look into because its not up to par with Disney (or most people I know) standards. To only offer one childs meal is a joke, and to have it be something that so many children are so dangerously allergic to, is not only unfair to so many familys, but dangerous. And when 3 out of 4 people use one QS credit, and 1 out of 4 uses a snack credit... Everything is just off kilter for the rest of the trip.
Of course people have the option to eat somewhere else, but the fact is that there aren't many "good" places to eat at DHS, and this is one restaurant that offers a little bit healthier fare.
We ate here on our last trip because I was tired of having burgers, and because everyone raved about their cupcakes, and I must admit, I was disappointed. As pointed out, they outsource their sandwiches, so the fact that everything is pre made with mayo, my husband wont eat mayo, was an issue. Plus, I gotta say - The Butterfinger Cupcake was not the amazing treat I had been reading about. Next time we will know better!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.