The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FOTLK? Closing??? Date? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024039)

Belle1962 11-20-2012 09:20 PM

FOTLK? Closing??? Date?
 
Searching my memory banks but do I recall hearing that Festival of the Lion King will be closing for good? If so, does anyone know when the last show will be?

TIA.

matheke 11-20-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle1962 (Post 46756511)
Searching my memory banks but do I recall hearing that Festival of the Lion King will be closing for good? If so, does anyone know when the last show will be?

TIA.

People would be marching on AK with pitchforks and torches if that was ever announced.

I think there was a rumor that they may have to move/build a new theatre for it when Avatarland or whatever they will be calling it is built.

andyman8 11-20-2012 09:59 PM

Originally, I was expecting FotLK to close sometime in February with notice coming around New Year's. This, of course, is for Avatar-land.

Now, with the delays, I don't expect this happening until the second half of 2013 at the least. I think we'll see a lot of Avatar-related announcements at D23 2013, which is scheduled from August 9-11 in DLR.

cmwade77 11-20-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 46756804)
Originally, I was expecting FotLK to close sometime in February with notice coming around New Year's. This, of course, is for Avatar-land.

Now, with the delays, I don't expect this happening until the second half of 2013 at the least. I think we'll see a lot of Avatar-related announcements at D23 2013, which is scheduled from August 9-11 in DLR.

Rumors are that it is still closing sometime early January and may not reopen for a while. Not sure why they can't build the new facility first,t hen close down the old one. :confused3

andyman8 11-20-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwade77 (Post 46756994)
Rumors are that it is still closing sometime early January and may not reopen for a while. Not sure why they can't build the new facility first,t hen close down the old one. :confused3

To be honest, I have know I idea why Disney would close the old facility before opening the new one.

As far as actual closing date, I was pretty dead set on late Jan to mid-Feb but I really don't believe some of these rumors. That being said, I really don't know anymore than you or anyone else on this board.:upsidedow

reiella 11-20-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwade77 (Post 46756994)
Rumors are that it is still closing sometime early January and may not reopen for a while. Not sure why they can't build the new facility first,t hen close down the old one. :confused3

It's possible they need to do some maintenance/whatnot with the equipment [what specifically, no clue, this is unfounded speculation]. There's also the unfortunate potential that they want to be able to get started asap with the Avatar expansion so it can be ready as close to the sequel's launch as possible, and they are willing to suffer the attendance at AK in the short-term over it.

Reddog1134 11-21-2012 09:50 AM

Some of the performers were recently offered a 6-month contract. Since they are usually offered a 12-month contract, it fueled rumors that the show would have an extended closure or possibly even close permanently.

andyman8 11-21-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddog1134 (Post 46759159)
Some of the performers were recently offered a 6-month contract. Since they are usually offered a 12-month contract, if fueled rumors that the show would have an extended closure or possibly even close permanently.

This is what I heard, which is why I bumped my "anticipated close" to sometime in the second half of 2013 (I define that as after June 1).

TDC Nala 11-21-2012 11:56 AM

There are various rumors to the effect that it will be removed to make way for the upcoming Avatar attractions, either moved somewhere in the Africa area, or removed completely. They're just rumors right now. No announcement from Disney, and no date.

MHSweb79 11-21-2012 12:20 PM

Here's an excellent blog on FOTLK:

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp...on_king_1.html

He addresses the rumors of a shutdown, but of course has no hard facts.

Since this is widely considered on of the best, if not THE best, shows in WDW, I find it difficult to believe they'd remove it entirely. But you never know.

TDC Nala 11-21-2012 01:52 PM

can I hope for an Avatar musical show featuring a song called "In The Na'vi?"

minnie mum 11-21-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDC Nala (Post 46760814)
can I hope for an Avatar musical show featuring a song called "In The Na'vi?"

Ok, where is the GROAN smilie??:lmao:

cigar95 11-22-2012 12:36 PM

Given the apparent delays in development and construction of PAJIJCA, it seems reasonable to figure that any closing of FoTLK will also be pushed back. I *think* the original plan was "early 2013", was it not?

Evoga 11-22-2012 04:45 PM

We once went to see this show and after 5 minutes my family got and walked out. We thought it was terrible but I guess you can't like everything.

Then again I don't know which is worse, this show or putting avatar in a Disney park.

DeaverTex 11-22-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDC Nala (Post 46760814)
can I hope for an Avatar musical show featuring a song called "In The Na'vi?"

We want you!

We want you!

We want you to be tall and blue!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.