The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023940)

threeboysmom 11-20-2012 04:57 PM

What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season?
 
Can I just say that I HATE how our book thread keeps disappearing on us!

I have read SO MANY wonderful books this past year all based on recommendations by the DIS'ers here! Even though my "to read" list is still long, I am always on the look out for more books to add.

Books that I've loved this year:

Life of Pi
Night Strangers
The Night Circus
Gone Girl
Wife 22
Dark Places
Sharp Objects
Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella
Beach Music
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
The Book Thief
The Kitchen House

These are just a few off the top of my head. I know I've read far more than that from recommendations from you all.

So what is everyone cozying up to this winter?

I'm in the middle of reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) after recently going through a Gillian Flynn kick (sad she only has 3 books out...)

And you?

tinkerbellandeeyor 11-20-2012 04:59 PM

Harry Potter

Soldier's*Sweeties 11-20-2012 05:05 PM

I've been reading Stephanie Bond.

"Our Husband" was recommended on the last thread and I enjoyed it very much! It was a humorous, quick, fluff book.

Since then I've read "In Deep Voodoo"(my favorite of hers so far) and I am 20 pages away from finishing "I Think I Love You".

erincon23 11-20-2012 05:39 PM

Just found a neat new (to me) series by Mark Billingham. British police/murder mysteries. The latest book is "The Demands," but it's like 7th or 8th in the series.

I also just read the final book in Nora Robert's newest trilogy, the Inn Boonsboro series, A Perfect Hope.

phorsenuf 11-20-2012 05:40 PM

I read Killing Lincoln and it was fantastic. Getting ready to start Killing Kennedy.

minniebride 11-20-2012 05:48 PM

I just ordered "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp on Amazon-hope it helps me figure out how to get my baby to sleep longer at night!

npealer 11-20-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeboysmom (Post 46754712)
Can I just say that I HATE how our book thread keeps disappearing on us!

I'm in the middle of reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) And you?

The Outlander series is one of my Faves! Read the series "almost twice" LOL, The Fiery Cross was the hardest one for me to get thru, got stuck on it second time around

I have loved everything I have ever read by Phillipa Gregory, author of The Other Boleyn.

Also the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, this is sci-fi fantasy series for anyone who likes that genre

Soldier's*Sweeties 11-20-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npealer

The Outlander series is one of my Faves! Read the series "almost twice" LOL, The Fiery Cross was the hardest one for me to get thru, got stuck on it second time around

I have loved everything I have ever read by Phillipa Gregory, author of The Other Boleyn.

Also the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, this is sci-fi fantasy series for anyone who likes that genre

I keep hearing great things about the Outlander series but it's soooo not my thing! I might have to break down and try it anyway.

Pixiedust34 11-20-2012 06:14 PM

I'm another Outlander fan!

The Book Thief is on my to read list as well as The Kitchen House. I read Life of Pi years ago.

I'm currently reading They Almost Always Come Home, a book I got for free on my Kindle. It's OK. Next up is ??????? So many books, so little time! I want to re-read the Outlander series soon, but I'm also waiting to get my hands on the new Ken Follett book and I have to re-read Lord of the Flies soon for school.

Mary Jo 11-20-2012 06:18 PM

I always check these book threads :)

Are you guys subscribing so you can easily find them?

What if on this thread we put the title of the book and a brief synopsis underneath, then whether or not we recommend?


Right now I'm reading one that was recommended on one of these book threads. It has to do with a boy living in a small town who meets a girl that has been haunting his dreams. That's as far as I have got, but someone here recommended it.

I also want to read Cloud Atlas. I saw the movie, and now want to read the book.

Outlander by Diane Gabaldan - loved it. I'm not sure that there is anyone left who hasn't read it yet, but...
This is a series dealing with time travel. It can be considered a romance, but I think of it as much more. It has to do with life in Scotland back in the 1700's (?), and how people thought back then. It also has to deal with honor, bravery, and dealing with conflict. The characters aren't perfect, which makes them, in my opinion, easy to connect to. I've read the series twice, and the first book three times. I really like it.

figment52 11-20-2012 06:37 PM

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - set in WWII Seattle area and the Japanese relocation camps. Two young children of Asian decent are separated because one is Japanese and the other is of Chinese. I would recommend it. It is a part of our history that is rarely written about.

Soldier's*Sweeties 11-20-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Jo
I always check these book threads :)

Are you guys subscribing so you can easily find them?

What if on this thread we put the title of the book and a brief synopsis underneath, then whether or not we recommend?

Right now I'm reading one that was recommended on one of these book threads. It has to do with a boy living in a small town who meets a girl that has been haunting his dreams. That's as far as I have got, but someone here recommended it.

I also want to read Cloud Atlas. I saw the movie, and now want to read the book.

Outlander by Diane Gabaldan - loved it. I'm not sure that there is anyone left who hasn't read it yet, but...
This is a series dealing with time travel. It can be considered a romance, but I think of it as much more. It has to do with life in Scotland back in the 1700's (?), and how people thought back then. It also has to deal with honor, bravery, and dealing with conflict. The characters aren't perfect, which makes them, in my opinion, easy to connect to. I've read the series twice, and the first book three times. I really like it.

I haven't read it!!!

That's it... It will be my next Kindle purchase.

Saphire 11-20-2012 06:42 PM

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

I mostly read non-fiction, and this book is so good.

ColoradoMom!! 11-20-2012 06:43 PM

I was looking for a new read when I came across this book on Amazon. It has such incredible reviews that I think I will give it a try:

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

http://www.amazon.com/The-Edge-of-Ne...mm_kin_title_0

Danibelle 11-20-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor (Post 46754728)
Harry Potter

I finally finished Deathly Hallows. I also read the Stieg Larsson trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and Hunger Games Trilogy. My next series will be Twilight!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.