The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Opinions needed- short first trip (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023465)

WIBadgergirl 11-19-2012 03:20 PM

Opinions needed- short first trip

Hi Disney experts!

I am looking for a little advice about our daughters first trip to disney. She will be nearly 3 when we go. We live up north but are visiting family in Florida for vacation in the Naples area. We are thinking of doing a short 2 day 2 night trip and just going to MK. We will have a car as we are driving from Naples. My husband and have been to Disney once before and stayed at POR. We really enjoyed the ease of being shuttled around everywhere and not worrying but are open to using the car to make things easier for our little one.

Money is not really an issue, but I don't think I can convince my husband to drop 500 a night to stay at the Contemporary.

Any advice on where we should stay? Any other thoughts to make our daughters first disney trip extra special?

THANKS!!!

artnerds 11-19-2012 03:31 PM

If being close to Magic Kingdom is a priority, the least expensive option will be Wilderness Lodge. It's not on the monorail, but it's close, accessible by bus or boat, and slightly less expensive than the three monorail resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian).

If you don't mind the bus ride to/from Magic Kingdom and want to save a little money to spend on something else, Port Orleans (which is my favorite moderate resort) is a terrific option.

mickeynut1 11-19-2012 03:39 PM

I agree with the pp that the WL would be the cheapest option if you want to be close to MK. We've stayed at the WL twice and love the resort. Everything is under one roof, the boat to MK is great, and the grounds are beautiful. Good luck.

artnerds 11-19-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeynut1
...and the grounds are beautiful.

I'll second that. Wilderness Lodge is, in my opinion, one of the most gorgeous resorts on property. There is something about the rustic warmth of the building and its location in the woods on Bay Lake that really strikes an emotional chord for me. I find it so completely comforting and relaxing.

We have been staying more often at Animal Kingdom Lodge on recent visits (because have grown addicted to waking up to giraffes and zebras outside our window). Then last month we stayed at the Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs Resort. Walking back through the woods to our treehouse gave me that same feeling I get at Wilderness Lodge. Love it.

mickeynut1 11-19-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artnerds (Post 46746448)
Wilderness Lodge is, in my opinion, one of the most gorgeous resorts on property.

I agree. I also think even though discount are always nice, rack rate at the WL isn't all that bad (IMO), especially for the location :thumbsup2.