The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   My house smells like thanksgiving! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023432)

Kennywife 11-19-2012 02:18 PM

My house smells like thanksgiving!

:thumbsup2

Sweet potatoes baked. I will put on the marshmallows on the big day! ::yes::

Pumpkin cupcakes and cake baking

I will bake the choco chip cookies tomorrow and the pumpkin pie on Wednesday.My mother and I will make the dumplings! :)

I always like to have everything done so I can devote thanksgiving to the turkey! Yum.

Then Friday, I have the kids I mentor over to help decorate the house. Busy week! How is everyone's thanksgiving prep going?

java 11-19-2012 02:25 PM

Well so far mostly cleaning not cooking. Today is cleaning ovens day- one done one to go.

While that was happening I made cranberry sauce. mmmmm my favorite leftover of thanksgiving I love eating it on sandwiches days later.

I am debating baking I think that will happen tomorrow. (pumpkin cinnamon chip cookies and a cake of some kind= probably chocolate something) and rolls will be made tomorrow. Or maybe now.... hmmm depends when the oven finishes up.

I will also make the potatoes tomorrow. But the biggies- turkey and spinach pie wait for Tday! I will rub down my turkey tomorrow and leave it uncovered in my hurricane Sandy cleaned fridge- I heard that tip today- gives you a drier skin so it crisps up nicely.

The problem with Thanksgiving is everyone expects to eat all the days leading up to and following! darn kids.:rotfl2: So I feel like it's constant cooking. But I agree these are my favorite smells.

JennaDeeDooDah 11-19-2012 02:28 PM

We will be having Thanksgiving up in Kansas with my husband's family. I'm making my apple blueberry pie, but I'm waiting until tomorrow to do that. I have my pumpkin spice candles lit, though. Does that count? It's all the smells of Thanksgiving with none of the calories and none of the temptation to eat it!

aaarcher86 11-19-2012 02:36 PM

Jealous! Thanksgiving food cooking is one of my favorite smells!

We aren't hosting this year thanks to a bit of family drama so I'll miss all the fun of cooking :mad:

phorsenuf 11-19-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennywife (Post 46745664)
:thumbsup2

Sweet potatoes baked. I will put on the marshmallows on the big day! ::yes::

Pumpkin cupcakes and cake baking

I will bake the choco chip cookies tomorrow and the pumpkin pie on Wednesday.My mother and I will make the dumplings! :)

I always like to have everything done so I can devote thanksgiving to the turkey! Yum.

Then Friday, I have the kids I mentor over to help decorate the house. Busy week! How is everyone's thanksgiving prep going?

I haven't even gone shopping yet, let alone cook anything. Isn't it a little too early to do that?

MariDisney 11-19-2012 03:05 PM

You've mentioned the kids you mentor before. That sounds like an awesome thing to do!!! Is it through a charitable organization or something? What does mentoring entail exactly? It's something my DH and I might be interested in doing, and I'd love some first hand experiences.

As for me, I'm in the cleaning and making lists portion of the Thanksgiving show. I won't start really cooking until Weds. I may do my orange cranberry sauce on Tuesday because that keeps well.

Kennywife 11-19-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariDisney (Post 46746053)
You've mentioned the kids you mentor before. That sounds like an awesome thing to do!!! Is it through a charitable organization or something? What does mentoring entail exactly? It's something my DH and I might be interested in doing, and I'd love some first hand experiences.

As for me, I'm in the cleaning and making lists portion of the Thanksgiving show. I won't start really cooking until Weds. I may do my orange cranberry sauce on Tuesday because that keeps well.

It's through my mother's church. My mother brings them over and we do crafts with them, play games, and take them places they want to go. :) They're great kids!

Kitty 34 11-19-2012 04:16 PM

My Mom cooks pumpkin pies Wed night and other than that there is no cooking started until the big day in my house. I will have the aroma of shake and bake pork chops cooking in just awhile when I recover from subbing in a wild 7th grade English class!! :teeth:

tasha99 11-19-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phorsenuf (Post 46746013)
I haven't even gone shopping yet, let alone cook anything. Isn't it a little too early to do that?

If you're thawing a frozen turkey, you should get it asap as it takes several days. If you're getting a fresh one, I'm jealous. :-)

I wish my house smelled like Thanksgiving, but mostly it smells like Lysol. It's the cleaning frenzy before the cooking, and we're not even having any guests (I guess it's just habit).

Diznotyzed 11-19-2012 04:26 PM

Just taking a break from cleaning the refrigerator and stove. No cooking yet, but like a PP I lit a spice fragranced candle last night and it smelled great!

Beastlover 11-19-2012 04:39 PM

I can't wait for Thursday!! :thumbsup2 I love all the food...and the family/friends!!

I will be bathing dogs tomorrow (Tues) and cleaning the house. Shopping on Wednesday...cooking the bird on Thurs...so yummy!!:cool1:

denisem 11-19-2012 04:41 PM

Not yet, Wednesday is the big day: make ahead gravy, prepping vegs/breads for dressing and roasted mixed vegetables, pumpkin pie, 7 layer salad, brining the turkey.

Thursday is dressing & mashed potatoes in slow cookers, rotissiere the bird, leaving the oven for roasted veggies and rolls. Cranberry relish from a can. :rotfl:

I can't wait!:cool1:

ilovemk76 11-19-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phorsenuf (Post 46746013)

ITA I would not touch the already made cranberry sauce or the already made sweet potatoes.

Christine 11-19-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemk76 (Post 46746858)
ITA I would not touch the already made cranberry sauce or the already made sweet potatoes.

I think cranberry sauce lasts forever so that would not bother me but it does seem a bit early for the sweet potatoes.

I won't be doing my stuff until Wednesday (pumpkin cheesecake and cranberry sauce). Everything else gets done on Thursday.

StephMK 11-19-2012 05:13 PM

Yum! That's making me hungry! A little sad, no cooking smells here. We are traveling so no getting ready other than packing tomorrow night.