The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Solo Disney Cruise? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023259)

Terk-1 11-19-2012 07:35 AM

Solo Disney Cruise?

I am planning on taking a cruise next November and Disney's Fantasy cruise to the Caribbean looks fantastic. This would be a solo cruise.

1. How safe is it to cruise solo?
2. Is a Disney cruise fun for a solo person?
3. Would I have to dine with strangers or could I be seated at a solo table?
4. Are the excursions worth the price?
5. Is it better (cheaper) to purchase this cruise through Disney or a TA?
6. Is Remy & Palo worth the extra money?
7. Do they offer free room upgrades on these cruises?

stsomewhere 11-19-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terk-1 (Post 46742841)
I am planning on taking a cruise next November and Disney's Fantasy cruise to the Caribbean looks fantastic. This would be a solo cruise.

!. I went on a 14 night Transatlanic solo. I felt very safe. I stayed away from situations and places that were sketchy. I would not hesitate in the Carribeean.

2. I had a great time by myself. I could do what I wanted to do. I could read by the pool., join in activites,etc.

3. I met a few other solo travelers on our cruise meet and we arranged to dine together.

4. Excursions- It depends on what you want to do. If you are concerned about safety, then I would recommend booking through the cruiseline.

6. Palo is worth it. We try to eat 2-3 times per cruise.
I have not ate at Remy ( sticker shock)

ThePhantomsGirl 11-19-2012 09:02 AM

I am going on a solo cruise on DCL next November. Although I have "met" quite a few people from my roll call so in some ways it won't feel totally solo. I've already arranged to dine together with some of them.

To me, Disney is very easy to sail solo. I'm doing a Carnival cruise in January solo, but the same thing applies - lots of nice people on the Roll Call.

However, the thing with being solo is that its easy to take time for yourself. Get up when you want, go where you want when you want, etc.

The only non-cruiseline excursion I have planned is on the Carnival one, which is Nachi Cochum. Probably will cab over with people from the Roll Call. Ship excursions can be more expensive, but there are times when they are best. For example when the ship is in a port for a short time.

As far as safety, its hard to give a blanket statement on that. There might well be ports that I'd feel totally safe going around on a non-cruise line excursion, or just walking around. Other ports, not so much, if at all.

I'd eat at Palo by myself. I wouldn't at Remy, but that's because I wouldn't eat there even with a group as I don't like the menu.

Upgrades are possible, but they try to sell upgrades first.

Ajojo 11-19-2012 10:16 AM

1. How safe is it to cruise solo? I have always found it to be a very safe way to travel.

2. Is a Disney cruise fun for a solo person? This depends. I have 3 solo cruises - 2 Disney and 1 RCL. The first Disney solo in the Med is my absolute favorite trip ever. There were many solos on board and I met some from disboards and some on board. We all had a great time. The second Disney solo was Alaska and I really did not enjoy this cruise at all. There were no other solos and I just could not seem to meet anyone else.

3. Would I have to dine with strangers or could I be seated at a solo table? At Disney, I was placed at a table full of solo travellers.

4. Are the excursions worth the price? I thought so. If you get an excursion thru the ship, then you have the peace of mind knowing it will wait for you if the tour is late. However, I travel alone alot and have no problem planning my own tours.

5. Is it better (cheaper) to purchase this cruise through Disney or a TA? In my experience, I have a better time if I purchase directly thru the cruise and am in control of all my planning. I dont see a cost difference either way.

6. Is Remy & Palo worth the extra money? I ate with a group from disboards in Palo and it was nice to try, but it is not something that I need to do again.

7. Do they offer free room upgrades on these cruises? This really depends on the fare/itinerary that you book. I have only received free room upgrades on 2 cruises that I have taken. I dont think I will be planning any more solo Disney cruises as their policy has recently changed upping the solo supplement.

Terk-1 11-20-2012 09:26 AM

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your answers.

TDC Nala 11-20-2012 09:31 AM

You may request that you be put at a table by yourself. It won't be guaranteed though. The smallest table in the main dining rooms is a four-top so you'd have at least a four-top to yourself if you get your request.

ludari 11-20-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terk-1 (Post 46742841)

I've been on six solo Disney cruises in the last two years. I've been on all sorts of Disney cruises (14 day transatlantic cruise, back to back cruises, maiden voyage cruise) with two more cruises scheduled next year and I love them.

1. I feel very safe on the cruise, obviously you need to be aware of your surroundings when you travel alone especially when you are in a strange country.
2. A Disney cruise is fun going solo. I meet all sorts of wonderful people on the ship and enjoy the freedom of doing what I want, when I want. I really enjoy my time alone to read, watch a show, lounge in a comfy chair in the adult area, swim, enjoy a spa day, etc.
3. You have a choice to dine with others or have your own table. I prefer my own table which I have done for my last five cruises. I have made some nice people around my table and enjoy a few dinners with them but always came back to my own table.
4. I prefer the Disney run excursions but you can find better deals if you look. I like the assurance that the port adventures Disney runs are checked out and approved by them. In addtion you always know if your excurision runs late the ship will not leave without you.
5. I think the best deal you are going to get on a cruise through a TA. Once you are on the cruise I would suggest that you book another cruise with a dummy date to save even more money.
6. I think Palos is worth the extra $20 and the one time I was on the Fantasy I could not get a reservation at Remy's, however I would love to try it at least once.
7. I've only been upgraded once for free but I normally don't expect it or asks for it. I prefer a stateroom with a larger porthole and the split restrooms and those staterooms are decent for one person.

If you have any other questions about crusing solo feel free and send me a private message.