The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any vegetarians at 'Ohana lately? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023083)

cheryterese 11-18-2012 04:28 PM

Any vegetarians at 'Ohana lately?

The kids and I are vegetarian but dh will enjoy the posted menu. Just wondering if we'd eat all but the meat/seafood or if they'd bring us something different in its place? Thanks!

Dalamara 11-18-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryterese
The kids and I are vegetarian but dh will enjoy the posted menu. Just wondering if we'd eat all but the meat/seafood or if they'd bring us something different in its place? Thanks!

I've heard they will also offer some sort of veggie option as well. I haven't experienced it myself though, so I can't be positive. :)

everythingALICE 11-18-2012 06:11 PM

I haven't been super recently (will be returning to Ohana in January), but here is what I received the last couple of times I went:

Hummus and baba ganoush with pita chips for an app
Tofu and vegetable stir-fry with rice and tempura vegetables in sauce

I believe this is what is still being offered to vegetarians - you can probably find pictures on the Vegetarian/Vegan Dining thread. Then the salad, noodles, broccoli, and (obviously) dessert are all vegetarian as well.

You definitely won't leave hungry!

DeborahA 11-18-2012 06:38 PM

my MIL is a veggie. She was included in all the parts of the meal except the shrimp and meats. They brought her a bowl of stir-fry with tofu. She loved it.

CaliforniaDreaming 11-18-2012 08:37 PM

I have a vegetarian that won't eat hummus or tofu, I would imagine they could just leave those out of the vegetarian dishes? Hopefully this won't cause much of a problem, it has been 12 years since I've been to 'Ohana so I'm really looking forward to returning. All I remember from the last time was the fantastic wings and spring rolls (which haven't been offered in many, many years).

jgplimdesign 11-18-2012 08:47 PM

I ate at 'Ohana November 1st!

My entree was a little different than it was last fall. . .

In both instances an appetizer of hummus, red pepper hummus and baba ganoush was served with pita points. The baba ganoush was delicious---though I dipped broccoli or the bread service-----only cause the pita was really, really hard and didn't appeal to me personally.

My entree was stir fried veggies-----lots of red peppers, onions, some broccoli---roasted potato wedges and tofu. As with last year, by the time I've had some bread, the salad, noodles, broccoli/snow peas. . .I'm pretty set. . .sadly, barely made a dent in the entree but did eat all the tofu. . .

Last year the entree was a stir fry of veggies and tofu as well---though it was served over rice instead of being accompanied by potato wedges.

I didn't speak to a chef during either visit. I let the server know I desired a vegetarian entree-----they said, ok. . .and that is where the conversation ended. I was fine with that. I had read in the disboards what people were offered in the past and knew I'd be fine. . .

Word of warning. . .I thought the hummus plate was sort of a SIGN to the servers. . .but I guess not, cause they continually tried to serve me meat?! I just politely declined and figured they'd eventually realize. . .but it took one guy three times before he gave up. I was glad when my entree arrived! ;)

cheryterese 11-19-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgplimdesign (Post 46741283)
I ate at 'Ohana November 1st!

My entree was a little different than it was last fall. . .

In both instances an appetizer of hummus, red pepper hummus and baba ganoush was served with pita points. The baba ganoush was delicious---though I dipped broccoli or the bread service-----only cause the pita was really, really hard and didn't appeal to me personally.

My entree was stir fried veggies-----lots of red peppers, onions, some broccoli---roasted potato wedges and tofu. As with last year, by the time I've had some bread, the salad, noodles, broccoli/snow peas. . .I'm pretty set. . .sadly, barely made a dent in the entree but did eat all the tofu. . .

Last year the entree was a stir fry of veggies and tofu as well---though it was served over rice instead of being accompanied by potato wedges.

I didn't speak to a chef during either visit. I let the server know I desired a vegetarian entree-----they said, ok. . .and that is where the conversation ended. I was fine with that. I had read in the disboards what people were offered in the past and knew I'd be fine. . .

Word of warning. . .I thought the hummus plate was sort of a SIGN to the servers. . .but I guess not, cause they continually tried to serve me meat?! I just politely declined and figured they'd eventually realize. . .but it took one guy three times before he gave up. I was glad when my entree arrived! ;)

All of those options sound great, thanks! How odd about the servers!

BigEeyore 11-19-2012 12:29 PM

I used to love Ohana when chef TJ was there - he would really put something special together for vegetarians. The veggie/tofu stirfry they brought me last time was decent, but I feel like for the price it should be better. Wish they gave vegetarians a discount!

meggiebeth 11-19-2012 02:44 PM

I disliked the vegetarian meal with tofu, hummous and rice. Just wasn't very nice. But then I hate the texture of tofu- just YUCK!!! :rolleyes:

I don't think 'Ohana is a good choice for vegetarians personally. It seems to be a very meat orientated meal. :3dglasses

everythingALICE 11-19-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming (Post 46741212)
I have a vegetarian that won't eat hummus or tofu, I would imagine they could just leave those out of the vegetarian dishes? Hopefully this won't cause much of a problem, it has been 12 years since I've been to 'Ohana so I'm really looking forward to returning. All I remember from the last time was the fantastic wings and spring rolls (which haven't been offered in many, many years).

I can't imagine it would be a problem to leave the tofu out of the stir-fry. I would just let your server know as early in the meal as possible.

As far as hummus, it's really just pita chips with hummus and baba ganoush (which is a similar consistency), so the vegetarian in your party may just opt to not get that at all. Personally, I think there is more than enough food between the salad, noodles, broccoli, entree, and dessert.