The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Christmas Cruise Advice (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3022292)

kkbutterfly 11-16-2012 01:34 PM

Christmas Cruise Advice

This is a bit of a ways off, but never too early to book! We are thinking of taking a Christmas 2013 cruise on the Dream but I've read some posts where people say that it's much colder on Castaway Cay (which I loved so so much on my October honeymoon). For people who have went during this time person (or just more in the winter months), was it worth it? Would we be better taking an anniversary cruise in mid November (following the Wine and Dine Half) instead of going at Christmas?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

RemysMom 11-16-2012 01:50 PM

When we went in an early January it was chilly. Impossible to get in the water. But I thought the water was cold when we were there 2 weeks ago too!

I do believe the experience of Christmas on DCL is worth it despite any cooler temps at CC. Plus, there are so many other things to do while you are there, the CC 5k, ride bikes, or even a short explore of the island and then head back on ship. We'll be headed on a Western Carib. for Christmas next year with a stop in potentially chilly Castaway.

EeyoreIsMyName 11-16-2012 07:45 PM

We went on a Christmas cruise with WDW prior to the cruise. It was cold in Florida, Nassau and Castaway Cay. Our photo in Nassau shows the wind blowing my hair straight out! We wore winter coats in Florida and lived in our jeans as we packed warm weather clothing for the trip! It was miserably cold and we didn't venture into the water anywhere...just saying.

jdb in AZ 11-16-2012 07:56 PM

We had a great time on our DCL Christmas cruise a few years ago on the Magic. There's more to Castaway Cay than the ocean, and it's still Disney. :thumbsup2 but if the ocean/beach are truly a priority, then scheule a different time of year.

Also, December is after hurricane season. yeah, I know hurricanes are rare after September, but try telling that to the Fantasy cruisers from the 3rd wk in Oct.

kcashner 11-16-2012 10:19 PM

We've had great weather in December...and another year had cold weather. I don't think there is any way to predict. If the weather is critical, this is not your season. However, it's a great time to cruise.

Husurdady 11-17-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkbutterfly (Post 46725384)
This is a bit of a ways off, but never too early to book! We are thinking of taking a Christmas 2013 cruise on the Dream Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

:lmao: Make sure SANTA can swim...................... Forgive me.....but that was the first thing that came in my mind... :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Bear3412 11-17-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husurdady (Post 46729267)
:lmao: Make sure SANTA can swim...................... Forgive me.....but that was the first thing that came in my mind... :rotfl2: :rotfl:

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:
or sail .....

jdb in AZ 11-17-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husurdady (Post 46729267)

The reindeer have life jackets. No problem.

owensamo 11-17-2012 06:54 AM

We did a Christmas cruise in 2009 - it was a 7-night Eastern. If you want to make sure you can hit a beach and swim, go with a 7-night (or longer) Fantasy itinerary. You can do beaches on the other islands, and enjoy Castaway for other activities if it's too cold to swim.

We did get in the water on Christmas Day when we were there (it was chilly, but we'd also cruised twice in January), but mostly we rode bikes and enjoyed the beach. It was warm enough to wander around in shorts and bikinis, so it was still a great break from winter weather at home! :cool1:

scootch 11-17-2012 07:16 AM

Water is already chilly, went last week.... I got in, but others with us thought it was too cold. We had been in very warm water in St. Thomas and PR though, so maybe it just felt cold due to a big change from there.

realityland 11-17-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootch
Water is already chilly, went last week.... I got in, but others with us thought it was too cold. We had been in very warm water in St. Thomas and PR though, so maybe it just felt cold due to a big change from there.

We are wimps when it comes to cold water. We Iive in Florida and generally don't do the beach until the water is a minimum of 80 degrees. We were at Castaway this past Tuesday and it was fabulous. Yes, a bit of a chill factor for the first two steps into the water. But after that, no problems. I snorkeled around for nearly an hour and never felt cold.

tessasmom 11-17-2012 05:26 PM

We did the Dream 12/4/11 and the water at CC seemed cold at first, but we did adjust to it. We ended up getting a tube to float and as the day went on it felt refreshing. We had awesome weather, every day in the 80's so we were lucky. :) As others have said, if the weather does not cooperate for you there is much else to do on CC! Also, there is NOTHING like cruising DCL at the holidays! Magical does not even begin to describe it...the decorations are to die for, the festive atmosphere perfect! If that's when you want to go to celebrate I would say do it! We loved it so much we are sailing the Fantasy on 11/30/13 and cannot wait!! Have a great time!

kkbutterfly 11-18-2012 10:29 AM

Thanks so much for all of your help everyone! We're still on the fence, possibly considering the DVC member cruise instead (if we can get a spot!)