The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   San Juan Excursions (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3021559)

Fadog 11-14-2012 06:50 PM

San Juan Excursions
 
Does anyone have some feedback on excursions that you have taken in San Juan? I know that the Fantasy just started going there, but we have to book ours in a few weeks, so any information would be helpful.

floridaminnie 11-22-2012 11:30 AM

Hmmmm....anyone?

SunshineCruiser 11-22-2012 11:52 AM

Last year we went zip lining for the first time in San Juan when we were there for the first time. We had a great time (ages 9 to 41). We also went to San Cristobal (sp?) and did a self tour after the zip lining, and that fort was within easy walking distance back to the ship. There are dungeons and wall drawings there that are really cool. There is lots of shopping within walking distance from the ship. I would have loved to have gone to El Morro if we would have had time, but that fort is too far to just walk to from the ship for most people.

What I like about going on a tour outside the port area is that you get to see more of the "real" way of life such as housing and local stores and people going about their daily life, but you could easily just walk off the ship and enjoy the Old San Juan area without an excursion. :)

FriendOfFanatic 11-22-2012 02:33 PM

We did the Fortifications Segway Guided Tour. It was a bit pricey for only 2.5 hours ($105), but was fun. After learning how to maneuver a Segway we were off to the wall around the city and through a few of the cities streets. The guide stopped every so often to tell us about the history of the old city. We went out to El Morro and walked around the fort. The stop was pretty brief, and then we were back on the Segways and returning to the port. We took the full 2.5 hours, and it was great. The guides let you take pictures on the way, unlike the Segway tours at WDW. We took the first tour and got back in time to eat lunch on the ship, and spend the afternoon doing a self guided walking tour of the old city. Bottom line, it was pricey (but not compared to Alaska excursions), but I would recommend it.

jd99 11-23-2012 10:26 AM

We did ours on our own. Took a taxi to the Marriott on Condado Beach and bought day passes ($150 for a family of four) which gave us full use of beach chairs, umbrella etc., pool, waterside. Had lunch at our beach chairs. had a great day. Then we taxi'd back to the port where the family went back on the ship and I went into old san juan, visited Morro and had a great walk around. Really nice day.

sassysocks 11-23-2012 12:26 PM

directions
 
I know this was posted before but I can't find the thread. Does anyone have directions to the fort closest to the ship? Also, how much was the cab ride to the Marriott beach and is their an hourly rate? Do you have to purchase to use their beach area?

Hollywood Glitter 11-23-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassysocks
I know this was posted before but I can't find the thread. Does anyone have directions to the fort closest to the ship? Also, how much was the cab ride to the Marriott beach and is their an hourly rate? Do you have to purchase to use their beach area?

As soon as you get off the ship you can hop on the free trolley and it will take you to the fort. The trolley stop is right in front of the cruise terminal

sassysocks 11-23-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Glitter (Post 46771429)
As soon as you get off the ship you can hop on the free trolley and it will take you to the fort. The trolley stop is right in front of the cruise terminal

We were thinking about walking. Do you know how to get there on foot and how long it takes?

Hollywood Glitter 11-23-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassysocks

We were thinking about walking. Do you know how to get there on foot and how long it takes?

About 20 to 30 minutes through the town. A lot of the road is cobbled and part of it is uphill. If it's not to humid it's a nice walk. Bring water. The trolley takes about 10 to 15 minutes and passes by a log of sights also. What time of year are you going?

sassysocks 11-23-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Glitter (Post 46771641)
About 20 to 30 minutes through the town. A lot of the road is cobbled and part of it is uphill. If it's not to humid it's a nice walk. Bring water. The trolley takes about 10 to 15 minutes and passes by a log of sights also. What time of year are you going?

We are going next Sat. I heard that it may take awhile for the trolly to come by. Is it humid there now? We also want to get a bite to eat somewhere. We were thinking about Raices but not sure how to get there as well.

What is your thoughts about visiting the Marriott hotel?

SrisonS 11-23-2012 03:56 PM

We didn't have any excursions booked, so we were just gonna walk around a bit. But as soon as we got off the ship, there was a tour company offering an hour tour for $10 a person. So we just ended up doing that. So you got to see a lot of the main spots, and get out a few times to get some pictures. Definitely worth the $10.

scootch 11-23-2012 04:39 PM

We got off the ship and there were several taxi operators there.... one guy offered our group of 10 to do whatever we wanted for $20 per person. He drove us to the fort, came back in 40 minutes.... then took us to a beach. He gave us his card and the beach he dropped us off at was really more like a lagoon with very small waves. Some of our party thought it was ideal, but my girls really wanted waves and a larger beach... so we called him back and everyone decided to go. He took us to the Marriott Stellaris beach. We were going to get day passes for the pool, but instead just rented beach chairs for $3 per person. The taxi guy came back and got us when we asked.. and took us back to the port where we just walked and did a little shopping. We didn't pay him until we got back to port and the taxi was a small airconditioned bus. Was well worth the $20 we paid him. He was really willing to take us wherever we wanted.

sassysocks 11-23-2012 06:44 PM

Does anyone know what pier we are docking at in Old San Juan?

quickcat 12-09-2012 01:10 PM

Has anyone done the San Juan Family Beach Day? I was just wondering if its worth the price?
Thanks!

amyngary 12-09-2012 09:03 PM

How to book?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jd99 (Post 46770894)
We did ours on our own. Took a taxi to the Marriott on Condado Beach and bought day passes ($150 for a family of four) which gave us full use of beach chairs, umbrella etc., pool, waterside. Had lunch at our beach chairs. had a great day. Then we taxi'd back to the port where the family went back on the ship and I went into old san juan, visited Morro and had a great walk around. Really nice day.

How did you book the day passes?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.