The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why is cheaper in early fall? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3021274)

DisneyBliss7 11-14-2012 08:38 AM

Why is cheaper in early fall?

Why are the resorts cheaper in early fall vs May? We are booked at AoA for May 2013 but are thinking about going in early Oct in hopes of free dining being offered. The price difference from May to early fall was $337! I thought both these times of year was low crowds...Is it b/c it's still hurricane season?

Maggie'sMom 11-14-2012 08:42 AM

Hurricane season is a big reason. Towards the end of May, schools start letting out so attendance increases.

aaarcher86 11-14-2012 08:48 AM

It's lower in fall because less people are traveling in with their kids being in school.

After Easter the prices start to increase for the Summer and influx of crowds.

CanadianGuy 11-14-2012 08:48 AM

Disney has different "price" seasons.. Value, Standard, Holiday .. etc. Full details on this here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disne....htm#animation

DisneyBliss7 11-14-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom (Post 46705386)
Hurricane season is a big reason. Towards the end of May, schools start letting out so attendance increases.

Is it a bad idea to go this time of year b/c of hurricanes? I don't know the peak of hurricane season...

aaarcher86 11-14-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyBliss7 (Post 46705484)
Is it a bad idea to go this time of year b/c of hurricanes? I don't know the peak of hurricane season...

Not really. It's one of the most popular times, so it obviously isn't scaring people. It just means that during this time weather conditions are optimum for hurricanes, not necessarily that you'll get blasted by one.

Herfnerd 11-14-2012 09:06 AM

I disagree about the reason being that its Hurricane Season but more that its because kids are back in school.

While inclimate weather is a possibility, most people seem to forget that Hurricane Season encompasses half the year - from June thru November and peak season is mid September.

Fantasmiss 11-14-2012 09:37 AM

Hurricane season IS one of the reasons. Personally I wouldn't go at all between early June and very late October. I've been in WDW when a hurricane was approaching and althought it didn't hit this area it was close enough to cause too much worry and time spent in hotel to watch weather channel. Not worth it. I'd rather go in a low or no hurricane risk time of the year and pay more.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Herfnerd 11-14-2012 09:46 AM

Not saying Hurricane Season is not a factor but its not as big of one as is kids being back to school/the end of Summer vacation season.

disnut8 11-14-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyBliss7 (Post 46705484)

There is no "peak" for hurricane season because hurricanes don't follow a calendar. The human hurricane season is June 1 - November 30 so, like someone else said, half the year. Storms can form at any time and can land anywhere (can anyone say Hurricane Sandy?). Human tornado season lasts 365 days a year. Human rainy season also lasts the same amount of time.

Sorry to DisneyBliss but the point I'm trying to make is you can't change the weather. Make your plans, go with them and if something happens, well, you have a great story to tell your grandchildren. Lived through many hurricanes (five in one year in Mississippi), tons of tornadoes in Nebraska and a couple of floods.

MinnieGirl33 11-15-2012 07:11 AM

We typically travel Nov/March/May/August & for at least the last 4-5 years, May has ALWAYS been our most expensive flight.

mickey&minniealways 11-15-2012 01:51 PM

Part of it is that the kids are back in school. It also depends on if you are booking directly with Disney. If staying at a DVC resort it can be difficult to get your desired location as the F&W at Eppcot is very poplular with DVC.

davedmaine 11-15-2012 06:47 PM

Don't base your choice on free dining. Keep in mind you may be better off with a room discount instead.

TheDisney411 11-15-2012 09:40 PM

The op is staying at a value resort so it's doubtful the small room discounts they give out to the values us even going to come close to a free dining discount.

ElizabethB 11-16-2012 02:41 AM

Hurricanes and love bugs.