The DIS Discussion Forums -

The DIS Discussion Forums - (
-   Disney Trip Reports (
-   -   Pins! I need more pins! A Fall Time Trip Report. New 11/6 Admitting Defeat! (

DisneyCrafter 11-11-2012 12:26 PM

Pins! I need more pins! A Fall Time Trip Report. New 11/6 Admitting Defeat!
Hello and welcome to my trip report!

My husband (Greg) and I (Rachael), both 20-somethings who love Disney World (weve been 6 times together since we got married in 2009), spent 6 nights and 5.5 days in Disney World; November 1-7. We stayed at Pop Century (our king room request was fulfilled but we were sooooo far from the bus stop) and took advantage of the free dining offer, upgrading to the standard DDP.

We enjoy long trips best, so planning this trip was a challenge. In fact, those of you who followed my PTR will know, I ended up not going with ANY plan and only 1 ADR! Ill let you know now that it was still a challenge to plan out our days when we were there.

I dont want to give too much away before I even start my report, but I will say that we accomplished more than I thought we could. We got to see the Magic Kingdom transform from fall dťcor to an explosion of Christmas, got to go to every park at least twice, and got to tour the New Fantasyland!

Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

DisneyCrafter 11-11-2012 12:27 PM

Friday, November 2:
Firsts! First bus ride, first park, first attraction, first meal. You get the point!
We spend more time at the MK with Grumpy making an appearance.
'Twas the Evening of November 2nd

Saturday, November 3:
We get up early, so early it was still dark!
Christmas is all around in DTD!

Sunday, November 4:
Soaking up the Disney atmosphere!
A hitchhiking giraffe and a lackluster performance.
New Fantasyland!
More New Fantasyland!

DisneyCrafter 11-11-2012 12:32 PM

(Bonus Arrival Day: Thursday, November 1)

Iím not going to do a separate post about our first night because we didnít land in Orlando until 930 and didnít make it to Pop until 11 PM. They were very slow to unload the luggage at the baggage claim, in fact, the belt actually stopped moving TWICE. However, we had practically no wait to board our ME bus (it was pretty full when we got on) and we were on our way very quickly!

Weíre so happy to have many days of fun ahead of us! (And maybe just a little bit tired after working all day and then traveling.)

There was barely any cheering as we passed under the Disney World sign and we were too far back to get a decent picture. Oh, well! I still got that warm, fuzzy feeling inside as we drove underneath.

Check-in, aside from waiting in line for 20 minutes (yes, at 11 PM), went smoothly and before we knew it we were in our room settling in. (I may have tried to enter the wrong room at firstÖ) I did a little bit of unpacking (we keep most of our things in our suitcases) and then we went to bed. The End.

Now, onto the good stuff!

Friday, November 2

Our first full-day in Disney started off without an alarm. We woke up at 9 AM and by 945ish we were at the bus stop to head to our first park of the trip:

Our first Disney bus experience wasnít great but it wasnít horrible. The line was pretty long to get on the bus, as expected at that time in the morning, so we werenít able to fit on the first bus that came along. The family in front of us actually cut in front of 2 other families to ask the bus driver if they could fit on after he said no more people because they said they were late for a reservation. He complied and the families in front of us just shrugged it off. I had never seen that before but if youíre late, Iím sure itís stressful! Anyway, we got seats on the second bus that came along shortly after and we were on our way for real!

We walked right onto Main Street USA as the performers were singing a song about how beautiful fall is, I believe. Their cherry faces were a magical way to experience the Magic Kingdom for the first time on our trip!

After soaking up the beautiful view of the castle, we were headed towards Tomorrowland.

My Disney Parks app was telling me that there was currently only a 10 minute wait for Space Mountain! We actually ended up waiting less than 10 minutes before we blasted off into space. I love the drops on that roller coaster!

After getting a healthy dose of adrenaline running through our bodies, we headed over to Liberty Square as it was nearly 11 AM and I wanted to see if we could walk-up to Liberty Tree Tavern. I tried to make us a reservation the night before but it said that nothing was available. However, we were told by the CMs that they didnít open until 1130 AM (oops) and to come back at 1120 to put our name on the list. No problem at all to be seated!

While we waited, we went to the Haunted Mansion as the wait was only 10 minutes. We skipped the cemetery and were the first ones leading the herd into the doom buggies. I love the ballroom scene so much. I remember watching a Disney World sing-a-long movie when I was younger and seeing that scene over and over made me want to go to Disney World so bad! Greg was able to spot one of the Hidden Mickeyís on his list in the ballroom scene (look at the plates on the dining table), too. I will say that I do NOT like the goblin/monster type creatures that pop up in the graveyard scene. (Yes, I am a scaredy cat!)

After we finished and we had a ghost following us home, we headed back over to Liberty Tree Tavern and we were sat almost immediately upon opening. (I love that the bathrooms are upstairs and that the walkway overlooks the entryway to the restaurant.)

Service here was QUICK! We didnít even have a chance to look over the menus before our server was asking us what weíd like to drink. We both ordered water and pomegranate lemonade. Since we were on the DDP, we skipped an appetizer (I had always wanted to try the fried cheese but when I read that they donít give you the fried cheese balls, I decided it wasnít worth it). I ordered the Pilgrimís Feast and Greg ordered the burger. Our food came out with super speed. I have a feeling they had several Pilgrimís Feasts plated and waiting to be served because my food was barely warm. It was still delicious, though! Gregís burger was really good and I love the thick cut French fries. I ate almost everything on my plate before I admitted defeat in hopes of saving room for dessert.

If youíre thinking that I ordered the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, you would be correct. Oh. My. Word! Words cannot describe how tasty this dessert is! The toffee bits on the top, paired with the ice cream thatís melting over the warm cake was so good. My cheeks are smiling just thinking about its sweetness now!

Greg wanted to switch with me (he got the chocolate cake) but I obviously said NO! I did share a few bites with him, though. His cake was decent, it had a good flavor but could have been more moist.

We settled the bill and were on our way back out into the Magic Kingdom.

Coming up next: We spend some more time in the Magic Kingdom and $5 for an iced coffee?! Stay tuned.

DisMomAmy 11-17-2012 08:06 AM

I'm here!! Sorry... I haven't been on the DIS for a couple weeks but this was my first stop this morning! :thumbsup2

We've never been to LTT. We'll have to check it out sometime.

xkaittloveex 11-17-2012 08:15 AM

Joining in! :cheer2:

DisneyCrafter 11-21-2012 09:25 PM


Originally Posted by DisMomAmy (Post 46730045)
I'm here!! Sorry... I haven't been on the DIS for a couple weeks but this was my first stop this morning! :thumbsup2

We've never been to LTT. We'll have to check it out sometime.

I'm here, too. The holiday time is always a busy time! I'm working on getting an update ready this evening. :)


Originally Posted by xkaittloveex (Post 46730106)
Joining in! :cheer2:


Disney9.9.10 11-21-2012 10:06 PM

Joining in!

DisneyCrafter 11-21-2012 10:07 PM

Friday, Nov. 2 (cont.)

Since we had just eaten lunch, we didnít think it was a good idea to go on any thrill rides (we were feeling pretty full), so we headed to one of our favorites; Philhar Magic! Thereís just something about that show that puts me in the Disney frame of mind. Those movies and music that make up Philhar Magic are my childhood. Theyíre the movies I remember watching over and over again. I had a Little Mermaid themed birthday party. I remember being surprised by my dad on my birthday and going to see Beauty and the Beast on Ice. For Christmas one year, I got a Beauty and the Beast tent and sleeping bag. In second grade, a few friends and I danced to one of the songs from the Lion King for the talent show and I had a pretend Lion King club that I charged everyone in my family 10 cents to join.

After experiencing the Magic, we decided to head toward Splash. The wait time was somewhere around 25 min., so we grabbed some FPs since they were for just 40 min. later. Score!

We walked toward Adventureland and saw that the wait time for Pirates was 20 min. and we decided not to wait. We should have just waited because what we did while waiting for our Splash FPs to become available instead was nonsense!

What was nonsense you ask? I was dragging and I needed a pick me up, and I think it was clouding my judgment. (Thereís my excuse! Haha!) We headed towards the hub and down Main Street to the bakery. They wanted $5 for an iced coffee! Now, I love me some Starbucks (in fact Iím drinking a skinny peppermint mocha right now) and I know theyíre pricey, too, but for some reason that price was too ridiculous for me to pay then. Instead, I purchased a bottle of water and we headed to one of the benches in the hub and rested for a bit and I rehydrated in hopes that it would take my drowsiness away. We watched a bit of the show at the castle, too.

We headed towards Splash once it got closer to our window and ended up being those people that wait for the exact strike of the moment our passes become available and then storm the entrance. (We didnít block the entrance, though, so no worries!) I did notice that they combined the stand-by and FP lines further back (near the entrance into the tunnel area instead of at the end). It didnít matter because we were soon singing along to the music!
After Splash we saw that the wait time for BTMRR was just 20 min., but I reallllly dislike the stand-by for that ride, so we decided to skip it and hopped on the train instead for a ride to the new Storybook Circus! (Thatís 2 attractions with less than a 30 min. wait that we decided to skip that day, in case you were counting.)

I took a few pictures but we didnít go into the shop or on any attractions.

I was grumpy. I actually remember getting snippy with Greg. Can I remember what for? No! Somebody needs a break! So we decided to head out of the park. Iím a big advocate for taking a rest when you just arenít feeling it. It usually helps to make me feel tons better!

When we got back to the room, Greg headed to the food court to fill our drinks and I laid down for a while. I didnít end up sleeping but just resting for a bit definitely helped me to recharge. While I was resting, Greg took a look at his pins. He also printed out pictures of all of the sets that he was interested in collecting and was studying those.

I created a pin obsessed Disney World lover, I did!

We went back and forth on what to do for the evening. We really wanted to see Hallowishes but we also were feeling the Food & Wine Fest and we just werenít sure that we could fit both in. Ultimately, we decided to NOT stress and just see where the evening took us.

Would that be a wise choice? Come back soon and find out!

IheartDDuck 11-29-2012 11:09 PM

Joining! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

DisneyCrafter 12-11-2012 09:15 PM


Originally Posted by IheartDDuck (Post 46819813)
Joining! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.

Thanks! I've been MIA lately. So much going on! I'm going to write an update right now!!! :)

DisneyCrafter 12-11-2012 10:17 PM

Sorrrrrry I've been gone so long (is anyone still reading????). I, like many of us here on the DIS, have been busy lately! I work 6 days a week (I know, wah wah) and with the holidays upon us, thereís not much time for ME. I also start grad school next month (going for my Masterís in Library and Information Science), so my time isnít going to get much more freed up. I will finish this TR, though!

ĎTwas the evening of Friday, Nov. 2nd

As soon as I had a bit of rest, we were headed to my favorite park for some Food & Wine fun!

The first stop was for my hubby to get a beer from Craft Beers. If I remember correctly, he tried the Red Hook Pilsner. It didnít end up being one of his favorites.

Our first stop for FOOD was Canada. Greg ordered the Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta and ĎMinus 8í Onion Jam. It was one of our favorites from last year. I donít know if it was the onion jam but something about it was different this year.

Thatís just fine, though, because I was wowed by the ĎLe Cellierí Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce. Although the meat was cooked a little too well for my liking (Iím a medium rare kinda girl), it was still delicious. If I could ask for one thing to be different, it would be to have more sauce! Mmm!

The next stop was just for me! France!

I ordered the Coq au Vin sur Gratin de Macaroni (Red Wine Braised Chicken, Mushrooms, Pearl Onions and Macaroni Gratin). I wish the used beef instead of chicken. Iím not a fan of chicken in a red wine sauce. However, I liked the pasta part of it.

My favorite thing, though and the item that I had been waiting forÖthe CrŤme Brulee au Lait (Chocolate Milk CrŤme Brulee topped with Caramelized Sugar)!

Sure, the sugar was a little, well, burnt, but it was still A-MAZING! I was one happy girl.

Greg was apparently feeling adventurous when he took a list at the Food & Wine offerings this year, because he was up for trying mussels! (Bless his heart, he actually pronounced them MEW-SSELS. I got a good laugh, he didnít. The end.) According to the brochure, they are Steamed Mussels in Hoegaarden Beer Broth with Baguette. The smell alone was not appealing to me, so although Iím branching out (had foie gras just a few month ago), I wasnít up for those! He thought that they were okay, he really enjoyed the broth.

After Belgium, we stopped at Japan. Even though I was watching my intake of alcohol, I couldnít pass up the opportunity to try a Sake Strawberry Mist. It was FROZEN, like a slushie. They even put a little umbrella in it. At that moment, I definitely felt like I was on vacation.
We both ordered a roll; I ordered the Karaage Hand Roll (Crispy Chicken Breast with Sushi Rice and Spicy Mayonnaise) and Greg ordered the Spicy Hand Roll (Tuna and Salmon with Chili Pepper, Soy Sauce & Sesame Oil topped with Kazan Volcano Sauce).

I did NOT like the hand roll. The flavor was just not there for me. I also didnít like the way that the mayonnaise melted (yes!) after just a few minutes. Greg, on the other hand enjoyed both rolls. Heís my sushi man, I guess.
(a nice man offered to take our photo for us when he saw Greg taking a picture of just me)

Well, I was quite full after those booths (darn smaller appetite) but we stilled stopped in the caramel shop in Germany (how can you walk past that place without at least walking in there???).


We took a ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour and I longed for a margarita. Iím not a big drinker, in fact, I donít drink much at all but when you are advised against doing something, doesnít it make you want it that much more? I already had one, though and I wasnít about to press my luck and risk getting sick.

It was about 730 and we decided to head out of Epcot via monorail. We were headed to the Poly.

Hereís another shot of Greg oogling over his pins:

One of the things on our wish list to see was Hallowishes and that wish was about to come true! Since we were about an hour and a half early, we even snagged one of the hammocks. The entire scenario sounds romantic doesnít it? Here let me set the scene: Youíre in Disney World with your significant other, swinging in a hammock on the beach at the Polynesian Resort watching a fireworks show over the Cinderella Castle. See?! Okay, only one problem. It was COLD! We both were wearing sweaters but with SANDALS. Oh, how I wish I had socks at that moment. It wouldíve made the evening that much more perfect!

The pictures didnít turn out great but hereís one of the electrical parade:

And one from Hallowishes:

It was a great ending to a great day!

Up next: Is it still the middle of the night?! In other words, we get up realllllllly early.

DisMomAmy 12-27-2012 08:38 PM

I'm here!! I hope you had a nice Christmas! I've been busy with the holidays and just found time to get back on the boards this week. Seems to be a pattern for me this time of year! I hope things settle down for you & you have some more time to update. I'll keep reading...

Those yummy Food & Wine pictures are bringing back memories from my October trip! Yum yum!!

I just want to stay again that you two look so great in your trip pictures!!

DisneyCrafter 01-04-2013 09:21 PM


Originally Posted by DisMomAmy (Post 47007029)
I'm here!! I hope you had a nice Christmas! I've been busy with the holidays and just found time to get back on the boards this week. Seems to be a pattern for me this time of year! I hope things settle down for you & you have some more time to update. I'll keep reading...

Those yummy Food & Wine pictures are bringing back memories from my October trip! Yum yum!!

I just want to stay again that you two look so great in your trip pictures!!

I'm here, too! Just taking a while to get back to 'normal' (although I'm starting to believe no such thing exists).

DisneyCrafter 01-04-2013 10:54 PM

I hope everyoneís holiday was splendiferous!

I have to be honest, I thought about not finishing this TR since it doesn't seem like I have very many readers but I hate leaving things unfinished. We'll see, if traffic doesn't pick up, I may just nix it!

Saturday, November 3

*BEEP! BEEP!* (Thatís the sound of the alarm going off at 6 a.m.)

We were sloooooooooow to get moving this morning but we made it to the bus stop about 7 a.m. Did I mention that it was early AND dark? Well, it was!

Told you! We were the second family waiting at the bus stop and I believe we waited about 10-15 minutes for a bus to arrive. Our spirits were quite high for it being so early!

DHS is such a short ride from Pop, I love it! Rope Drop was at 8 a.m. (EMH) and we were the 2nd family at the turnstiles. I got SO excited because I saw my first bit of Disney Christmas decorations! Look!!!

YAY! Anyway, as soon as we were allowed in, we high-tailed it over to TSM and since there wasnít anybody in line for FPs, we grabbed some and entered the stand-by line. We walked right on.

I won! (No surprises there. LOL!)

We strolled (okay, maybe it was more of a brisk pace) over to RNRC and requested the front row. I love riding in the front row on this coaster, itís so exhilarating! After our limo ride, we grabbed FPs for later.

We rode Tower of Terror and then decided we should listen to our tummies and have something to eat. Apparently everybody else in DHS was hungry, too. They all wanted Starring Rolls as well. I joked with Greg that it was the longest line weíve waited in all morning! It was true, too.

(We went halfsies on both the muffin and the cinnamon roll, BTW. The muffin was delicious, the cinnamon roll was nothing special.)

Somewhere between selecting our food and us sitting down and eating, I sent Greg to TOT to grab FPs since our 930 window was opening momentarily and we had until just 940 to make it to TSM before those FPs were void. We quickly inhaled our food and downed our iced coffee (soooo good, BTW) and made it to TSM with less than 3 minutes to spare. Phew!

(Somehow we had enough time to take this picture of me holding all of our FPs.)

I won, again! (Greg is quite the video game player so heís not too happy that I am more skilled than him on TSM.)

I canít go to DHS and NOT do a drawing class, so we headed over there and were able to sneak in and snag a lap board. We got to draw Minnie! Greg always leaves a little grumpy because heís not much of an artist but he must enjoy the classes as well because he never complains when weíre there.

After the drawing class, it was time to use our RNRC FPs. We didnít request front row this time as we were cutting it close with time before we needed to leave for our lunch ADR.

This next decision was probably dumb but we walked back over to the animation building to see how long the line was to meet Wreck it Ralph. It was long (of course) but I snapped a few pictures and we were on our way.

On our way out we stopped to do two things. One to take some PP pictures:

And to hand our TOT FPs off to someone. Greg chose a honeymooning couple (good choice, babe!) and they were very appreciative.

Upon leaving DHS we hopped on board a Friendship Boat and got off at the YC/BC.

I was getting worried about making it to our ADR in time and I knew we could walk to IG from YC/BC faster than the boat could take us. I was right and we beat the boat! However, we encountered a ridiculously long time at the IG gate.

Of course all my worrying was for nothing. San Angel is very slow to seat people. I think it has something to do with the amount of servers they have for lunch. No matter, our food was delicious and we were even serenaded by another guest who was taking a ride on the boats. It was a funny moment, everyone in the restaurant clapped for him!

We were tired and in need of a rest so we headed back to Pop, changed into our suits, and spent some time relaxing by the pool. It was a beautiful day!

Up next: We wait a really long time for a bus!

DisneyCrafter 01-08-2013 07:22 PM

Anyone out there? *Hears crickets*

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.