The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disneyland (California) (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Do schools in your area have Thanksgiving week off? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3019666)

Brancaneve 11-10-2012 10:28 AM

Do schools in your area have Thanksgiving week off?

I am curious about how the impact of teacher furloughs will affect crowds the week of Thanksgiving. I am a teacher in a district that put the furlough days on the Monday and Tuesday prior to Thanksgiving weekend. On the boards I have read that several other districts have done the same for the past few years, resulting in large crowds prior to turkey day. However, my district took furloughs away and increased our health benefits, thereby reinstating class in session the week of Thanksgiving. Has your district done the same?

The second part to this story is that our union begged the district to give us the whole week off because we simply loved it tooo much. They simply tacked on those two days at the end of the school year. So, I will be in the parks Sunday evening through Wednesday and hoping that it will be less crowded than in "furlough" years.

Thank you disers as always for answering my questions!! You're the best! ::yes::

DharmaLou 11-10-2012 10:40 AM

we're in the Denver 'burbs, but yes our schools have Thanksgiving week off. My daughter is just in Montessori, but their school follows the school district it lies in.

disney4cam 11-10-2012 11:10 AM

My kids' schools have always had off the days before Thanksgiving. I don't know anyone whose kids are in school Thanksgiving week - except apparently Elk Grove. lol

Jedana 11-10-2012 11:13 AM

Yes, DS's school district has the whole week off.

When we lived in Vegas, they always got the week of Halloween off.

Iceman93 11-10-2012 11:17 AM

Redondo Beach here, and yes, our schools are out that entire week, plus both weeks of Christmas and New Year's. It has nothing to do with furlough, just the normal school year schedule.

I married a king 11-10-2012 12:12 PM

Here in Galloway Ohio my kids go to school Monday and Tuesday of turkey week.

taylor3297 11-10-2012 12:17 PM

My kids have to go Monday and Tuesday here in NC.

disneychrista 11-10-2012 12:42 PM

Schools in our district have had Thanksgiving week off for the last 7 or so years. Started out Thanksgiving & Friday, then added Wednesday, then went to full week.

longtimedisneylurker 11-10-2012 12:54 PM

Lots of northern California districts, including my kids', give the whole week off and have done so for many years.
A little googling shows that Orange County and San Diego school districts give the whole week off, but it doesn't look like the Los Angeles or Anaheim districts do.

I can tell you from experience, it will be a busy time at Disneyland. With regard to crowds, I compare it to the two spring break weeks surrounding Easter. I don't think school furloughs have been that much of an impact really on the Thanksgiving crowds. What will be the game-changer this year is the new DCA and Carsland. Frankly, I would go in expecting it to the busiest Thanksgiving week yet. If you follow tips on this board though and go with a good attitude, it's still possible to have a great time.

AryaForQueen 11-10-2012 12:56 PM

we have wed, thurs, and friday off here

Susiesark 11-10-2012 02:36 PM

I'm local to DL, Long Beach Unified, and we only have Thursday and Friday off. :sad:

sheetz 11-10-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker (Post 46674785)
A little googling shows that Orange County and San Diego school districts give the whole week off, but it doesn't look like the Los Angeles or Anaheim districts do.

LA Unified does have the whole week off according to their calendar.

ImTooExcitedToSleep 11-10-2012 02:46 PM

I'm in Central California--my wife, a teacher in one school district has Wed-Fri off; my son in another district has the whole week off.

Dizzy4DL 11-10-2012 02:58 PM

Some school districts in our area have the whole week off, my daughter's school just has Thursday and Friday. (We're in Oregon)

longtimedisneylurker 11-10-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetz (Post 46675338)
LA Unified does have the whole week off according to their calendar.

Huh, missed that. Only saw reference to Nov. 22-23. Well, if they're off, there's even more local people who will be able to go to Disney for the day.