The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Deluxe Resort Holiday Decorations (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3017848)

alicia080979 11-05-2012 06:40 PM

Deluxe Resort Holiday Decorations

I have visited some of the deluxe resorts to see their decorations but wanted to know if I'm missing any or what the resort has for the Holidays. I wanted to make sure we hit them on our upcoming trip. If anyone can fill in the blanks or add to the list I would appreciate it! Feel free to add any extra info about not to miss Christmas/Holiday things outside of the parks:santa:

I know they all decorate for the holidays but I am looking more for their big "main" attraction/decoration such as the massive gingerbread house at the GF.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (both)-Trees
Contemporary-?
Grand Floridian-Tree & Gingerbread House
Poly-?
Wilderness Lodge-Tree
Yacht Club-Chocolate Carousel
Beach Club-?
Boardwalk-?
Saratoga Springs-?
Old Key West-?

alicia080979 11-07-2012 09:39 AM

bump...I really want to know if Contemporary and Saratoga Springs are worth going out of our way to see. I think we have meals at Wilderness Lodge, Poly, AKL, Beach & Yacht Clubs and GF.

goofy4tink 11-07-2012 09:48 AM

The CR is okay, but not a biggie on my list. SSR is an unknown for me. I'll be there in a month, so will see then.
BW??? I love the overall feel of BW during the holidays. They have a nice display in the lobby, a decorated/lit tree out on the Village Green.
The Polynesian just doesn't 'get it done' for me, so to speak. I'm always underwhelmed when I stop there during the holiday season!!!

I usually check them all out. On my MK day, I head over to the CR, then take the boat over to WL, then back to the CR, onto the monorail, and stop at the Polynesian and GF, then back to the MK.

When I'm in the Epcot area, I head to YC/BC, S/D and then BW (usually stay at BW!!) and then back to a park.

I always make time to head over to AKL-Jambo House as well as Kidani..usually when I'm at AK for the day.

It's always nice to see the little differences in each resort decorating. Usually, each resort tries to incorporate a bit of their theming into the decorations.

I've never been over to either CBR or CSR during the holidays..I think this year I'll check them out and wander for a bit.

alicia080979 11-07-2012 09:54 AM

Thank you! We didn't make it to Contemporary last year so I wasn't sure if we were missing anything that we should make time to go see. We have our first day set aside to just visit resorts and see the decorations so I guess the best bet would be to check out CR if we have the time. I haven't been to Boardwalk either...maybe we will check that out this year too if we have time. It is hard trying to fit all the decorations in!

capshockeygrl 11-07-2012 10:03 AM

Its been a while since I've been at SSR during the holiday, but I recall a huge tree in the main lobby and carolers throughout the day.

thumbalyna 11-07-2012 10:09 AM

Make sure you stop at swan/dolphin one of them has a really nice chocolate sculptures.

North of Mouse 11-07-2012 10:31 AM

If I remember correctly the Yacht Club had a big train layout and the BC had a huge chocolate carousel that rotated and played music - also smelled delicious. The CR had a flat gingerbread house against the wall and was very unimpressive :rolleyes1 The poly, wilderness lodge, AKL all were not the most impressive to us - just nice :goodvibes

alicia080979 11-07-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumbalyna (Post 46651145)
Make sure you stop at swan/dolphin one of them has a really nice chocolate sculptures.

Oh I never even thought to stop there. Thanks!

chalee94 11-07-2012 10:44 AM

the poly, CR and DVC-specific resorts probably aren't that impressive IMO. i actually liked the lobby at CSR better.

but why wait for people's opinions when there's a resort photo forum loaded with pictures? here are some links:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1676426

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1852086

alicia080979 11-07-2012 01:46 PM

Thanks for the links! I did a search but didn't see those.

Tink415 11-07-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicia080979 (Post 46637648)
I have visited some of the deluxe resorts to see their decorations but wanted to know if I'm missing any or what the resort has for the Holidays. I wanted to make sure we hit them on our upcoming trip. If anyone can fill in the blanks or add to the list I would appreciate it! Feel free to add any extra info about not to miss Christmas/Holiday things outside of the parks:santa:

I know they all decorate for the holidays but I am looking more for their big "main" attraction/decoration such as the massive gingerbread house at the GF.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (both)-Trees lighted animal figures at resort entrance
Contemporary-? chocolate sculpture/gingerbread house/trees out front - seems to change every few years
Grand Floridian-Tree & Gingerbread House
Poly-? has had really cute gingerbread houses made by various staff - a gingerbread tiki bar was a favorite of mine
Wilderness Lodge-Tree Lobby
Yacht Club-Chocolate Carousel train set in lobby
Beach Club-? chocolate carousel and small gingerbread shop in lobby
Boardwalk-? nicely decorated lobby and tree outside on the lawn
Saratoga Springs-? meh, if you have time
Old Key West-? meh, if you have time

POR resort entrance, store and bar area and CSR entrance and lobby area are also nicely decorated. Oh. and FORT WILDERNESS at night :santa:

RaySharpton 11-07-2012 06:41 PM

You should try visiting the Fort Wilderness CampGround in the evening for a nice stroll through the camper's very Christmas decorated campsites. Some campers have being doing this for over a decade and keep adding decorations.

If my memory is correct, the Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Dolphin Resorts have huge open lobbies with up to four story christmas trees.

The Boardwalk area is very nice at night, too. You can use the sidewalk or boat taxies to see the christmas trees at Epcot, Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Clubs, Swan, Dolphin Resorts, and finally Disney Hollywood Studios which has it's large Christmas tree outside the entrance.

It is so much fun in December. I can't wait.