The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   In praise of Sanaa (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3017164)

phyllis1966 11-04-2012 10:04 AM

In praise of Sanaa

Can I just say that our dinner at Sanaa was my favorite of the entire trip! It's been 12 days since that dinner, and I still drool thinking about it...the appetizers, salads and bread service in particular are heavenly. They've changed the bread service a bit since last November, when we last visited: you now receive 5 different breads (only 3 last year), and 5 spreads/toppings....wish I had those right now...

The trio of salads is also delicious, in particular the watermelon salad, but the roasted beet salad and chick pea salad are also terrific, and I'm not normally a fan of beets. For the entree, all 3 of us agreed, as we did last year, that the short ribs are our favorite, with the lamb vindaloo the runner-up.

We were too full for dessert, but we were on the free DP, so I took my tapioca pudding to go. Our server, Amy, showed it to me first, because she wanted me to see the lovely presentation...it remained intact on the bus trip back to the GF, and it was delicious later that night.

Oh, how I wish I could be back there today...

:sunny:

dvcterry 11-04-2012 10:38 AM

I love the watermelon salad. :lovestruc Great food, great restaurant.

wdwloverz 11-04-2012 10:54 AM

We can't wait to try the bread service and the salad trio in Jan!!
We have never been, hoping to find a new favorite!

Wills Mom 11-04-2012 10:59 AM

Oh thats what I like to hear! We're planning to eat there on our upcoming trip :thumbsup2

phyllis1966 11-04-2012 11:11 AM

I've been craving that watermelon salad so much, that I just sent an email to WDW Communications a few minutes ago, asking for the recipe. I just can't imagine waiting a while year, probably more, just to taste that salad again...

Just an FYI, as to the menu on this site, while it says it was updated in October, it has a few inaccuracies...it doesn't even mention the bread service, or that many of the entrees are a "pick two" deal. All three of us chose the same two, the short ribs (oh my goodness, they are awesome) and the lamb vindaloo (spicy!), which come with a choice of basmati or while grain rice pilaf. Also, no mention of the appetizer for two, which DH and DD shared and enjoyed. It had two small lamb kekftas, roasted cauliflower and something else that I can't remember - they loved it, and DD never eats cauliflower!

Allearsnet has a totally outdated menu.

minnie mum 11-04-2012 11:42 AM

Sanaa has always been our favourite non-signature restaurant at WDW. We're both looking forward to our dinner there in the spring.

nigel-bigel 11-04-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phyllis1966 (Post 46625653)
Also, no mention of the appetizer for two, which DH and DD shared and enjoyed. It had two small lamb kekftas, roasted cauliflower and something else that I can't remember - they loved it, and DD never eats cauliflower!

Isn't the third item a pea samosa?

Nicole

MJMcBride 11-04-2012 11:50 AM

Sanaa is terrific

the setting is wonderful. I love Kidani.

I had the curry chicken and short rib. I also loved my bread service. amazing

billsfan 11-04-2012 02:09 PM

the chai cream is an awsome dessert. Right now they only show it on the dessert trio but if you ask you can get a larger size by itself.

phyllis1966 11-04-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigel-bigel (Post 46625872)
Isn't the third item a pea samosa?

Nicole

I think you're right. They both really enjoyed sharing this appetizer.

pigletto 11-04-2012 03:41 PM

Sanaa was our favourite on our August trip as well:)

The trip before that our favourite was Jiko.

AKL has some wonderful restaurants.:thumbsup2

spears2008 11-04-2012 03:44 PM

if you could only dine at one AKV restaurant, would you recommend Sanaa? We will have kids with us - ages 2, 4, and 5. I think my kids will be fine wherever we go, but I'm not sure how our friend's children will do.

P00H1010 11-04-2012 03:44 PM

Glad you had a great experience :). We loved Sanaa on our last trip...best meal I've had at WDW thus far :thumbsup2!

nanienamou 11-04-2012 03:53 PM

Sanaa was awesome for us too, only second to Jiko! :thumbsup2 Great food, awesome service, outstanding atmosphere. We will be back for sure. :hyper:

phyllis1966 11-04-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spears2008 (Post 46627599)
if you could only dine at one AKV restaurant, would you recommend Sanaa? We will have kids with us - ages 2, 4, and 5. I think my kids will be fine wherever we go, but I'm not sure how our friend's children will do.

We've eaten at Boma, Jiko and Sanaa a few times each. If I could only choose one AKL restaurant, it would be Sanaa for sure. Not sure how little ones would like it if they're picky eaters. It definitely has a large Indian influence, so the flatbreads and spreads and curries are plentiful. The salads are interesting and not necessarily Indian in style. The entrees, again, are very Indian-inspired, but Americanized so as not to be too "out there," for less adventurous palates.