The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Grand Floridian Dormer Room? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3016753)

ChrisMouse 11-03-2012 11:31 AM

Grand Floridian Dormer Room?

Hey everyone,

My parents are celebrating their 40th anniversary at Disney and are arriving Friday. They booked a "Lagoon View" room, and the cast member suggested they request a dormer room (my dad likes to leave the balcony door open at night for fresh air).

I've been madly researching, but since I've never stayed at the Grand Floridian, I don't know if this is a good suggestion. The vaulted ceilings sound nice, and the privacy, but do they have any chance of a really good view? Will the solid balcony railing be annoying? Do ALL of the dormer rooms 100% have a balcony? With a Lagoon view, will they will look out over the construction?

Does anyone have any input about these rooms?

I just want this trip to be super special for their celebration.

Thanks!!

Chris

scanne 11-03-2012 11:48 AM

We had a dormer room 2x. Once was in Sago Cay with a view of the castle. The other was in Boca Chica with a lagoon view.

You cannot see the lagoon or castle while sitting in the room with the dormer balcony. It's a narrower opening and the solid balcony obstructs the view. Even sitting on the small balcony you can't really see much.

We had a 1st floor room at the Polynesian and had a theme park view. I could sit on the bed furthest from the door and still see the castle and Wishes.

However, I LOVED the dormer room because of the vaulted ceilings. If I were ever to stay at the GF again and I wasn't paying for a view (lagoon or theme park) I would request the dormer. But if I am paying for a better view than garden, I'd want a room with the wide sliding doors and bigger balcony.

DeluxePrincess 11-03-2012 12:56 PM

I agree that if I were paying for a view, I would not accept a dormer. They are fabulous for privacy, but you have to stand up to see over the solid balcony. If the objective is to sit on the balcony and gaze and the lagoon/castle, you can't do that in a dormer.

Sammie 11-03-2012 04:21 PM

I don't care for the dormer rooms due to the blocked balcony.

ChrisMouse 11-03-2012 04:34 PM

Ok, this is good feedback.

I have read, however, that the regular rooms' balconies are "not private"

Is that true? Do you share your balcony with other guests?

Thanks so much for helping me, since we have never stayed there.

Chris

DeluxePrincess 11-03-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMouse (Post 46620558)
Ok, this is good feedback.

I have read, however, that the regular rooms' balconies are "not private"

Is that true? Do you share your balcony with other guests?

Thanks so much for helping me, since we have never stayed there.

Chris

No, you don't "share" a balcony. Each room has its own, but you are visible to others when you are out on yours. If I'm not mistaken, there is a privacy divider between each room.

ChrisMouse 11-03-2012 04:48 PM

Ok, great, thanks! It sounds like I should leave their request at: upper floor, away from construction if possible" and take off the dormer request. Maybe the stars will shine on them for their anniversary and they will end up with a park view even though they just paid for Lagoon view. A girl can always hope!

Thanks so much!!

Chris:flower3:

Sue M 11-03-2012 04:59 PM

Be sure you have their celebration on the reservation, you never know what pixie dust they might get!

We didn't stay at GF, but had one of those solid balconies at WL, and hated it. Felt claustrophobic sitting out there looking at a solid wall. Can't see out unless you stand. I enjoy sitting with a cup of coffee and being able to see out.

toodycat 11-03-2012 09:41 PM

We had a dormer room without a balcony in 2009. It was very roomy and pleasant, but there wasn't 't much view. I would stay in a dormer room again. The living area is larger and there is more room to spread out.

andyman8 11-03-2012 10:11 PM

What could be the best view one could get in a Garden View-price level dormer room(and don't say "garden"!)? Any chance of seeing lagoon? Would these rooms offer the best views in that category?

I got the sense that these rooms would be smaller than a standard room. Is this true or is it the other way around?

scanne 11-04-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 46622733)
What could be the best view one could get in a Garden View-price level dormer room(and don't say "garden"!)? Any chance of seeing lagoon? Would these rooms offer the best views in that category?

I got the sense that these rooms would be smaller than a standard room. Is this true or is it the other way around?

I am not 100% positive on this, but I think if you are in a garden room in Sago Cay, you can request a "monorail" view and see part of the lagoon and the monorail from that side of the building.

The GF really has no bad views. None of the rooms overlook parking areas, so any "garden view" is going to be pleasant.