The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do Zebra Domes at Boma Have Alcohol? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3016661)

kermiebudge 11-03-2012 07:39 AM

Do Zebra Domes at Boma Have Alcohol?
 
Rot-roh....

My DD (8) and I have been watching YT videos of the various Disney Restaurants we'll be visiting during our Dec trip. The one she is MOST excited about is our Boma dinner reservations... And I think it's mainly the anticipation of tasting a zebra dome shown on one of the videos we watched... However, I just read that they may contain liquor? Does anyone know if it's just a "flavoring" and not the real deal?

If there's alcohol in them, I better move on and try to get her revved up about another treat somewhere else!

Mousemommy1 11-03-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kermiebudge (Post 46617574)
Rot-roh....

My DD (8) and I have been watching YT videos of the various Disney Restaurants we'll be visiting during our Dec trip. The one she is MOST excited about is our Boma dinner reservations... And I think it's mainly the anticipation of tasting a zebra dome shown on one of the videos we watched... However, I just read that they may contain liquor? Does anyone know if it's just a "flavoring" and not the real deal?

If there's alcohol in them, I better move on and try to get her revved up about another treat somewhere else!

I honestly don't know the recipe, but you do realize that if an alcohol is an ingredient it's used to flavor and the actual alcohol content cooks out, right?

smiths02 11-03-2012 08:40 AM

They not limited to adults, so they are not "alcoholic." However, they taste strongly of coffee and alcohol to me...I don't care for that. Would your 8 year old?

GenevieveRaqs 11-03-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 (Post 46617843)
I honestly don't know the recipe, but you do realize that if an alcohol is an ingredient it's used to flavor and the actual alcohol content cooks out, right?

It is true that SOME of the alcohol content in baked goods cooks out, but something would have to be burnt beyond the point of edible for ALL of the alcohol content to cook out.

That said, if there were enough alcohol in these things for it to cause a problem, they'd have to ID you before they gave you one. I'm sure your DD will be fine.

kermiebudge 11-03-2012 08:55 AM

Thanks for the replies- I thought it would be safe to assume they are o.k. if at a buffet with access by all (I also wasn't sure if there was an adult-only limitation to them), but you know what they say about assuming things ;)

I think my DD would like the coffee taste (she likes coffee flavored ice cream), but not sure about any kind of liquor flavoring. I know with alcohol, you can "cook it off", but have never tried the domes myself. If there was any question though, I'd rather we get her geared toward another treat since there are so many to look forward to!

North of Mouse 11-03-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs (Post 46617877)
It is true that SOME of the alcohol content in baked goods cooks out, but something would have to be burnt beyond the point of edible for ALL of the alcohol content to cook out.

That said, if there were enough alcohol in these things for it to cause a problem, they'd have to ID you before they gave you one. I'm sure your DD will be fine.

THIS, I have never heard of :confused3 We have always cooked with alcohol, and have never heard that it doesn't cook out while cooking your dish. It isn't that heard to burn off alcohol.

Just googled this because I was curious. Depends on dish cooked, how long, etc. the alcohol content that remains. It would not be enough to be concerned about, except maybe to some reformed alcoholics. That's why they mention that on the desert bar at Boma. Otherwise, definitely not enough to be concerned about *under age*, etc.

princessallegra 11-03-2012 09:24 AM

They definitely have a strong amarula taste, which i love!

JennyDrake 11-03-2012 09:38 AM

Cooks Illustrated did tests a few years ago to determine how much alcohol cooks out and the bottom line was, "Not as much as you think," but yes, it varied. People also make an assumption with cold desserts that the component containing the alcohol was cooked--not always the case and sometimes the alcohol is added AFTER cooking.

In any event, as PPers have said, just beacuse it contains alcohol does not make it an "adults only" item--at all.

Years ago they DID contain alcohol and there was a small sign saying so by the domes, but in many recent trips, I do not recall seeing it. In every dessert buffet I've ever seen at WDW there were small signs by each item that contained alcohol. Some people do not partake for personal or religious reasons, but there are others on medications that prohibit even tiny amounts of alcohol.

I think it is safe to say your daughter can enjoy.

Deb & Bill 11-03-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyDrake (Post 46618220)
...Years ago they DID contain alcohol and there was a small sign saying so by the domes, but in many recent trips, I do not recall seeing it. In every dessert buffet I've ever seen at WDW there were small signs by each item that contained alcohol. Some people do not partake for personal or religious reasons, but there are others on medications that prohibit even tiny amounts of alcohol.

I think it is safe to say your daughter can enjoy.

We ate at Boma about three weeks ago and there were signs at the Zebra Domes stating they contained alcohol. They had other coffee flavored desserts (Kenya Coffee Tarts) that did not contain alcohol.

Tigger's ally 11-03-2012 11:32 AM

If you dip them in your cocktail, can you still take the bus home? :confused3

I have had zebra domes too many times to count and this is the first time I have ever heard anything about them having alchohol in them. No wonder I like them so much. pirate:

Thinking now that they might just be the EXACT reason behind the "sick in Epcot' thread about weekends at the F&W. :rotfl2:

Jennasis 11-03-2012 11:42 AM

They are good but do have a VERY strong alcohol taste to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.