The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   POR or Dolphin? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3016551)

BuzzLiteyear 11-02-2012 08:40 PM

POR or Dolphin?
 
We are arriving a day earlier than we had originally planned and now I need to decide on a place to stay. My thoughts were POR or Dolphin for one night. We'll be going to Magic Kingdom the night we arrive and EPCOT the next day. We'll be transferring to AKL.

nkereina 11-02-2012 10:47 PM

Will you need Magical Express? If so, it is not offered for people staying at Dolphin so you'd have to stay at POR (or another Disney owned resort) to get ME. If you don't need ME, I might go with POR anyway. It's closer to MK than Dolphin is, and they have the boat to DTD which I would take advantage of before I transferred to AKL.

cluvsdisney 11-02-2012 10:56 PM

If you dont need ME, I'd stay at the Dolphin. It's a deluxe resort in a great location.

jcriket 11-03-2012 08:42 AM

Dolphin is in walking distance to epcot, if that makes a difference.

Butterflygirl35 11-03-2012 01:15 PM

If you are not using ME I would go with Dolphin. Excellent location, it is a Deluxe and all the Boardwalk nightlife is walking distance!!

Not to mention walking to Epcot!!

NMAmy 11-04-2012 06:17 AM

In the past, I'd have wholeheartedly recommended the Dolphin but after many lovely visits, we had an awful stay there in May and we won't be back again. I'd go with POR and the ME.

Belle83 11-04-2012 01:58 PM

If you don't have a car, I would stay at POR. Not just for Magical Express, but Disney will transfer your bags from POR to AKL. I'm not sure if they will transfer bags from Dolphin to AKL?

If you do have a car, I would stay at the Dolphin. Take the bus from Dolphin to MK that night (quicker because of avoiding the TTC), and then the next day, just walk over to Epcot :thumbsup2

BuzzLiteyear 11-05-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle83
If you don't have a car, I would stay at POR. Not just for Magical Express, but Disney will transfer your bags from POR to AKL. I'm not sure if they will transfer bags from Dolphin to AKL?

If you do have a car, I would stay at the Dolphin. Take the bus from Dolphin to MK that night (quicker because of avoiding the TTC), and then the next day, just walk over to Epcot :thumbsup2

At this point, it looks like we will be driving. So we should have a car. I like the idea of walking to Epcot.

TaraPA 11-05-2012 10:51 AM

Dolphin WILL transfer bags to any Disney resort, we've done it many times, as recent as March.

I'd vote Dolphin hands down. I just stayed at POR & while it was quite lovely, I missed being in the Epcot Resort Area.

Magic3forme 11-05-2012 12:47 PM

The POR, we have had 2 great trips to this resort. Beautiful walking paths, great food court, pools are Clean... Free parking

We stayed at the Dolphin this summer. (dh had a convention there) --I was so under impressed .... talk about a huge let down. We switched rooms 3 times. ( noise, smells.) The pool was filmy, and not maintained well. it might be convenient to Epcot, but that is about it.

BuzzLiteyear 11-05-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic3forme
The POR, we have had 2 great trips to this resort. Beautiful walking paths, great food court, pools are Clean... Free parking

We stayed at the Dolphin this summer. (dh had a convention there) --I was so under impressed .... talk about a huge let down. We switched rooms 3 times. ( noise, smells.) The pool was filmy, and not maintained well. it might be convenient to Epcot, but that is about it.

Thanks! You say pools, there are more than one?

dansdad 11-05-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzLiteyear (Post 46636529)
Thanks! You say pools, there are more than one?

Yes. POR has a main pool, Ol' Man Island, and 5 quiet pools throughout the property. Then there's the main pool at POFQ also, Doubloon Lagoon.

BuzzLiteyear 11-05-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansdad

Yes. POR has a main pool, Ol' Man Island, and 5 quiet pools throughout the property. Then there's the main pool at POFQ also, Doubloon Lagoon.

That's awesome! Thanks.

Jenna319 11-05-2012 08:01 PM

My itinerary is very similar to yours. Added a day on to our vacation and had originally booked POR (we are also transferring to AKV). However, we are going on New years eve and really want to spend the day at Epcot without worrying about the crowds using disney transportation. So for an approx. $60 more, I switched to Dolphin. I've never stayed there but I am really excited to check it out and I love the idea of being able to walk to Epcot and Boardwalk. The pool area is supposed to be fantastic too. I love POR and you can't go wrong with either resort but for the convenience, my vote's for the dolphin. I've heard it's comparable to deluxe resorts.

Li Li 11-05-2012 08:08 PM

I've never stayed at POR, but I stayed at the Dolphin in Sept. I really enjoyed it. I loved being able to walk to Boardwalk, Epcot and DHS. DHS is just a bit longer walk than Epcot but I enjoyed it. And the boat stop at Dolphin is plenty convenient if you don't want to walk. :) Plus tons of food options by staying at Dolphin. The pool was excellent; really big with a waterfall and slide!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.